• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with bed time.

cm16600

Meeting neighbors
Hi,
I am the proud owner of a male Meyer. He is 12y old and it is our first bird. We adopted him 2 month ago.
He is fantastic and we love him.
One issue has raised recently. I am unable to put him back in his cage when it is bed time. My wife on the other hand does not have any issue as he seems to bond with her. As son as I approach the cage he flies away, and my wife can puts him without any issue. Any other activities is fine with me, playing, feeding, cuddling, showering.
Any tips?
Thanks

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nice bird. He must have had a female caregiver before. It will take time for him to get used to you. I suggest you pass by his cage often and also give out treats as you pass or drop in the cage making sure he sees you. He will eventually come around. Make sure you are the one that does his daily feedings and cage cleaning too.

cm16600

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for your reply, I am actually the one that feed him in the evening, clean the cage and interact the most with him. He is in his cage only we we work otherwise he is loose in the house.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What happens if you and your wife put him to bed together? Your wife can have him step up on her and then she can transfer him to you. Then reward him when he goes inside the cage. You could also try again by yourself but have a treat in your hand and see if you can tempt him with that so he doesn't fly away.

cm16600

Meeting neighbors
Good advice, I will try and let you know if it works.