• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with baby mousebird

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Matt

Mousebird

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone for your kind words. We've been absolutely heartbroken about our loss and just hoped our cats would leave them alone because every bird they bring in dies at some point even if it seems completely uninjured at first, no matter how careful we are to give it the best care possible. Now I have another dilemma. Last night my cats brought in yet another baby mousebird. My heart just broke, I wish they would stop harassing these poor birds. There must be a nest nearby. The baby is still alive but I cannot get him to eat no matter how hard I try. He just won't open his beak, and I can't seem to force the syringe in. Sometimes he smacks his beak after water so at least I assume he's getting a bit but I am so worried. Have also tried tiny pieces of grape but he is just not interested. He is also not as comfortable with humans as our previous baby mouser was so he still seems a bit shook up, though he does like to cuddle up in my hand when I hold him in one hand with the other over him. I just wanted to post this as soon as possible to get advice, but I will post pictures at various angles so we can see how old he is and what kind of mousebird he is. I'm guessing red-faced and about 10-12 days maybe. Most likely he is a brother/sister of our previous mousebird...

Mousebird

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Wait, looking back over this thread I actually think he may be a speckled. Let me just get those pictures up so you guys can help me check.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
No water! They do not take water. You can aspirate him. How does he look overall , any injury? Age wise? Sometimes a small puncture from the cat can go unnoticed. Cats possess pastuerella bacteria and just getting the saliva on a bird can kill it.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Don't force feed him. Try encouraging a feeding response by holding small pieces of fruit with a tweezer, and making soft chirps.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I really need to get that mousebird article written... :( I hope this little one makes it.

Mousebird

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
image (1).jpeg image (2).jpeg image.jpeg No visible injury. Will go to the shops now, buy tweezers, sterilise and try to get him to eat.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
She looks about the same age as the other. I would try not to handle her too much, short sessions. Let her get used to humans slowly. Right now you are a predator. She is adorable.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Please keep us updated!I wish you the best. :hug8:

Mousebird

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thank you! Just got back from the shops now so will try the fruit with the tweezers and let you know how it goes!

Mousebird

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Lots of news. First off, the baby is now eating and pooping happily. Only thing is, she always seems hungry. I'm not able to get hold of a gram scale at present, so how can I tell how much to feed her without over- or underfeeding her in the meantime? I am mainly feeding her grapes, formula mixed with grapejuice, and baby food (Purity). It just seems no matter how much I feed her she won't stop begging!
Secondly, the night after my cat brought the first baby in, she brought another, so now we have two baby mousebirds. We've bought the cat a co This one is a lot smaller, less outgoing and always seems sleepy. So we worry about him a little bit. He is adorable, though. I'll attach a few pictures of them at feeding time, and playing in my hair.
If we want to put a lamp over them for extra warmth, what lightbulb should we get? (Currently for heat we have a fluffy blanket scrunched up inside the cage so there are lots of folds to huddle in, a feather duster hanging from the top of the cage, and an electric blanket set on low underneath the cage with a thin blanket on top to ensure it doesn't get too hot.)
One last thing: I'm struggling to find sterilised sand for them to bath in and they are looking very scruffy these days! Is there something I can do in the meantime? I'm afraid they will get too cold if I try to clean them up with a damp cloth or something and they get wet/damp.

Attachments

Mousebird

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Also, one of the babies seems to be pooping rather a lot - before, after and even during meals! Something to worry about? Could it be something I'm feeding her?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ok you are doing ok, but some key things I see:
You need to understand these are fruit eaters. They process food very quickly. So not only will they poop frequently, they also need to eat frequently. Grapes alone and the purity are not enough for the older bird. Or the young one either. I think the older bird may be ready to nibble at fruit on it's own. But you need to add bulkier foods and some protein can be provided also which will help keep him full a little longer. Have you read over the food choices? Can you offer clean flowers, or any fruits from trees you see the wild mousebirds in? As they get older they will also like branches with leaves from those trees. I think the warmth from the blanket alone is enough. You can slightly dampen a wash rag to clean off food if it is sticking to the baby. Take another soft cloth and dry him best you can. If you can, this may be a good time to snuggle him in your shirt and get some bonding. Unless your plan is to release them both. Which is what I would do. You can also sterilize sand by spreading it out on a flat tray and leaving it in the bright sun. Do you have any questions?

Last edited: