• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with avian reared IRN

bungo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexei
You may have seen my previous thread about Ino the IRN but i have recently found out he is avian reared. He hisses and lunges and bites when i place my hand on the cage, he also doesn't wan't to come out :banghead:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have long have you had him?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Under a month isn't that long really. Do you spend time just sitting with him?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's good. I would keep spending time with him. Maybe try putting a perch on the outside of his cage and hang a favorite treat or toy to see if he will start coming out on his own.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It will take time. IRNs can be fiercely independent...they will interact on their terms and when they feel comfortable.
I would keep spending time with him. Maybe try putting a perch on the outside of his cage and hang a favorite treat or toy to see if he will start coming out on his own.
Good advice....remember to let Ino see your hands...and always move them slowly around him. Tempt him with a food treat, if he has one. Titan loved almonds, and would go to anybody he spied that had them.
It will be a long haul...but it will be worth it...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
@bungo ...we'd love to see more pics of Ino! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's beautiful!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I have seen that foraging cube on ebay I think. I have been tempted to try it but wondering what the hole sizes are. Don't want heads or beaks getting stuck.

I will add that a way to entice your bird out of cage is with a food they like. Whether it is fresh food, seed or millet. Save that for on top of cage or on a small table or gym between you and cage. The bird will get to where he wants the food so bad that he has to get near you. May never be a cuddly bird but should become comfortable

bungo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexei
I have seen that foraging cube on ebay I think. I have been tempted to try it but wondering what the hole sizes are. Don't want heads or beaks getting stuck.

I will add that a way to entice your bird out of cage is with a food they like. Whether it is fresh food, seed or millet. Save that for on top of cage or on a small table or gym between you and cage. The bird will get to where he wants the food so bad that he has to get near you. May never be a cuddly bird but should become comfortable
I have removed the cube as it is held together with screws that are ALREADY coming loose. Also he wouldn't go near it so yeah

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Thanks for the warning

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If he doesn't like you putting your hand on his cage, then don't do that.

If you can find out what his comfort zone is, that would help. That is, if he's not comfortable with you being within 5 feet of the cage (except for feeding, watering and cleaning, of course - which can be made less stressful), then sit 6 feet away. Make sure there are some treats inside for him to eat! If after a while, he gets comfortable with that, then try at 5 1/2 feet, then 5 feet, and so forth.

If he doesn't have a way to "hide" from you, then provide a way for him to hide in the cage.

I have a wild caught african ringneck, and although I haven't *really* worked with her, she has gotten comfortable enough to allow me to clean underneath her, and part of the time, remain on her food dish while I'm doing things around the room. Before, she used to freak out and try to fly as far away from me as possible and would become stressed. It did help that I helped her learn that if she sat on a specific perch while in her cage (top perch), this would make changing the food dishes out much easier for her and I. That is, she didn't have to freak out - she only had to get to her perch and I'd get her fresh food. I made sure to move slowly, not look her directly in the eyes, and make some sound (kind of like a "tch tch tch" sound with my tongue as an odd way to "communicate" with her).

Aviary raised means at least your ringneck is used to being a captive bird, and is used to humans - to a point.

bungo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexei
Thank you all, Ino is now comfortable with me sitting on a sofa right next to him and doesn't scream when I put my finger through the bars. I have started to let him fly around in the bathroom but when he goes out he screams and doesn't want to go back into his cage