• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with a cage for a parrotlet

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
Hi all, I have decided I want to add a parrotlet to my flock. The problem is I am having trouble finding a cage I like. I like the idea of the Vision cages but I refuse to buy anything less than 18 deep minimum and this doesn't seem to be an option. I also don't want something extremely tall as it will make it hard for the kiddos to see it. I would like something about 32X18-20 but not super tall. I would also like it to be aesthetically pleasing if possible. What have ya'll used for your parrotlets. I have never had a bird so small and found some I liked but with 5/8th bar spacing and figured that was way too big. I have this cage for my green cheeks and absolutely love it, but am afraid it will be sooo tall. A and E Flight Bird Cage with Stand - 1800PetSupplies.com oh well I may end up going with it anyway after I do some measurements in the spot I want to put it. I was also liking this one - Small Animal Cage Sugar Glider Chinchilla Ferret 705 | eBay Any input or suggestions would be great!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
What about these two?

BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Hana Hut™ Dometop

BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Hana Hut™ Playtop

They are about 10" shorter than the flight cage. Personally I would get the flight anyway, since it offers more space for the bird. The top may be pretty tall, but the bottom of the cage goes down pretty low to the ground. This one is also fairly spacious for a parrotlet, and I think they make a stand for it but you can always but it on a little Ikea table or something if you want it slightly lower to the ground. Petco Designer Green Dome Playtop Parrot Cage at PETCO

Keep in mind that the cages that open up on top are said to be potentially dangerous, so I would probably not use that feature (and maybe zip-tie the tops so they're more secure).

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
You could buy an add on for a quad cage.
King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More
Can I ask you what is drawing you to parrotlets? Have you read the Good, Bad, and Ugly thread abou them? :)
http://forums.avianavenue.com/parrotlets-place/106531-parrotlets-good-bad-ugly.html
I love that cage!! definitely one to keep in mind - I have read that thread - I have researched all sorts of small birds and just keep going back to them. They are soo cute and I know that's not a good enough reason, but I do feel I'm capable of providing a good home as I've had noisy birds so any noise they make won't bother me and I've also dealt with aggressive birds so nippiness won't bother me. They seem like they are full of personality - and I love my green cheeks for that. Whether the bird prefers to be hands on or hands off I can adapt.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I would get a flight cage...that's what I have my parrotlet in and she loves the room to fly:)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
definitely will be keeping any of the open tops closed - thanks for the ideas! I had that first one for a cockatiel once and was concerned about the bar spacing? I will measure the spot in a bit to see how tall up the flight would actually go. My plan is to go to the bird fair in a couple of months - I'm pretty sure I'll be looking for a parrotlet, but if something else picks me I'm open to that as long as it is small in size and relatively quiet. :)

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
I would certainly go with the flight cage. I have a prevue hendryx flight cage that is a similar size to the A&E and my p'let girl uses every inch of it. I love that she can actually fly in her cage. Here is a link to my thread that has pictures of it: http://forums.avianavenue.com/toys-cages-bypass/111754-sprites-new-cage.html
That looked great! when I look at the money for anything else it seems to make it soo worth it to go ahead and get the flight - the kids should be able to see in ok I think.

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather
Thankfully when I got Pickles it was one stop shopping. My breeder is also the president of the local bird club and also runs his own pet shop. So food, cage, toys, perches...the works all bought at once. Exotic Wings &Pet Things - Handfed Parrots, Parrot And Pet Supplies just in case anyone is interested.

@kelli my 'tiels cages have bigger spacing between the bars and when pickles is visiting them and he's on top of their cages he has a little trouble getting around. Generally speaking for bar spacing for a plet think budgie or lovebird. Same idea. Ironically your thoughts on plets are exactly why i'm interested in a gcc. Personality personality personality. As for handling....hand fed baby of course. And handle them every day. Pickles will go to anyone because i've trained him to do so and he's naturally friendly. I hope your next fid picks you and it's a plet. :)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I also would recommend a flight cage, Milo adores the space!!!

Definitely 1/2" bar spacing!!! These guys are tiny, tiny, tiny and there's a real risk of getting stuck. Not to mention that it's harder for them to get around and grip the bars if they're too big.

Last edited:

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
Thanks so much ya'll have given me a lot to think about!

liss1208

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
Can you tell me which flight cage you have? We just got our parrotlet and am having a hard time finding a good size cage that isn't super tall and has 1/2in bar spacing or less preferably.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
My flight is an hq....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2