• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help With A 2 Month Cockatiel

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
Hi all, recently I've had the absolute pleasure of getting a cockatiel! He's a darling and his name is Sir Pipsqueak of the House of Tiel (Or just Squeak for short). He's extremely friendly and was properly hand raised. The first day I brought him home he was all over me and is still pretty attached. It's been a week since I got him, which I know is a very short time and we clearly still need to adjust to one another, but I'm just running into some issues and I'm wondering how to go about solving them, any advice would really be appreciated.

Recently he's started getting a lot more nippy, and a bit grumpy. He's always been a bit squeaky (hence the name) when people go near him, but he was pretty quick to get scritches right after. Now he's a bit more bitey, and less receptive to scritching. I don't want to force him, but occasionally I'll go to give him head rubs and he'll have a go at me. Nothing super hard, but definitely enough to make me 'go away'.

He's kind of clingy, which is fine really, but I am worried because I work 3-4 days a week 5-7 hours at a time and he's in my room most of the time. Some of my housemates come in to say hi to him, but I fear that leaving him alone this much has made him very cage territorial. He comes out still, but he can get very grumpy right up until he's out. He also seems to stretch his wings and a flap a lot for no reason (He's clipped currently, was clipped when we got him from the breeders), is he just exercising his wings by doing this?

Something that's worrying me the most though, is he doesn't seem to want to play with any toys at all. I've tried several things, and he doesn't seem to like any of them. Most of them he seems to be scared of even. He only has one perch at the moment, I intend to get him a swing and another perch soon, as well as another ladder. I'm worried that when I'm gone he's just lonely and sad sitting there by himself. Bringing him out of the room isn't an option, as we have cats that are not trained to be around birds well at all. He also seems to be obsessed with his food and water trays, in fact, I'm starting to think that's where he sleeps. He sits right in his water dish or food dish and just sits there. I'm not sure why, he eats and drinks just fine, but that's where he chooses to sit. Is this ok? I really want to put my all into this little guy, especially after the heart break from my last bird. I want to make sure he's healthy happy and sound. Any advice would really really be appreciated, thanks for reading <3

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think he’s still adjusting, but I’ll try to address some of your questions. My tiels are very finicky about when they want scratches. Many times they are just not calm enough, but other times they are too relaxed and then they don’t want scratches then either lol. Just respect his wishes, and try to read his body language. Don’t let it get to the nippy point or else you’re teaching him nips get him what he wants.

The flapping is him stretching and exercising his wings. I have also heard that some tiels do it to claim their area, but I’m not sure.

He might not feel comfortable enough to play with toys yet. Make sure you introduce new toys gradually. I put new items by my bird’s cages for a few days before I put them in their cages. Tiels like sherddable toys the best. Foraging toys will also help your bird keep busy during the day. You can show your bird how to play by playing with the toys yourself.

Many birds become aggressive in their cage. You can start training him with treats every time he comes out. You can also perch train him and target train him. You can train him to get scratches for that matter. I like to save millet just for training. Just remember to always respect his wishes and never force him to do anything.

He probably is lonely when you are out. Leaving the radio on when you leave is a good idea, and the more times you can get your housemates to visit with him the better. As for sitting on the food bowls, try putting them in a different spot. If they are up high, put them lower for instance. Replace them with a perch and maybe he will sit on it instead. One of my birds loves sitting on her food bowl. Just make sure you keep his food, and especially his water, clean. Congratulations on your new tiel btw!

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
Thank you so much! This has all been really helpful advice, I really appreciate it! What kind of toys would you recommend? I've also noticed he preens a lot when he's out of the cage, I have a standing fan (caged, so he can't get hurt by it) and often when he sits on me near it and preens the whole time. Is this normal?

I also wanted to ask, according to the breeders, he's never known how to fly. Is it safe at this point to teach him how when his feathers come back in? Or is it best to leave him clipped?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are is flight feathers cut? That will make a big difference in his confidence and exercise in flying. If you are not sure just post a photo of him from the side.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Is he eating? I got Bella as a 7 week old tiel and she was completely standoffish and grumpy. I started to weigh her and noticed that she was losing weight. I got a container of kaytee baby formula and when she saw the syringe, she got excited, ate, and we became best friends. Birds tend to regress once they are in a new home. I bet Squeak is hungry.

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
Are is flight feathers cut? That will make a big difference in his confidence and exercise in flying. If you are not sure just post a photo of him from the side.
I'll have to do so later, it's his bedtime at the moment, I'll make sure to get one when I can though. I'm not entirely sure. Thank you for the help!

Is he eating? I got Bella as a 7 week old tiel and she was completely standoffish and grumpy. I started to weigh her and noticed that she was losing weight. I got a container of kaytee baby formula and when she saw the syringe, she got excited, ate, and we became best friends. Birds tend to regress once they are in a new home. I bet Squeak is hungry.
He's eating plenty! I'm currently introducing him to new veggies and things, he's not a big fan of spinach so far but he loves millet and he is on a pellet diet currently. I will say, today he was in a much better mood, so I think yesterday he might have just been a bit grumpy with me haha. I'm a new bird owner, so getting used to how varied their personalities are is definitely something new! Thank you for the advice regardless <3

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
What size cage is he in?
He's in a fairly large it takes up almost all the space on top of my tall boy (which is like a really big set of drawers).

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would recommend toys like finger traps, balsa, paper, sola, sea grass, and other easily destructible materials. Many vendors here in AA have some wonderful toys for cockatiels. My birds tend to like smaller toys. I think they get overwhelmed if the toys are too big.

It’s too bad he has never learned to fly, but he can still learn, he just might have a harder time of it. I think if you make sure the environment is safe it will be okay. Cover mirrors, windows, fish tanks, make the floor soft, etc.

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
I would recommend toys like finger traps, balsa, paper, sola, sea grass, and other easily destructible materials. Many vendors here in AA have some wonderful toys for cockatiels. My birds tend to like smaller toys. I think they get overwhelmed if the toys are too big.

It’s too bad he has never learned to fly, but he can still learn, he just might have a harder time of it. I think if you make sure the environment is safe it will be okay. Cover mirrors, windows, fish tanks, make the floor soft, etc.
A pet store near me has those things, I'll definitely have to grab some. I've also noticed despite him being advertised as a bit talkative, he almost never sings or makes much noise outside of squeaking? He's very comfortable around me usually, in fact, he's hanging out on my hand right now (and making it very hard to type), just curious if this was normal. Sorry for all the questions, it really does help a lot though!

Here's a photo of him from the side

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its kind of difficult to tell from this photo about the status of flight feathers. It appears some of them are missing or possible growing back. We will see what others think.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Do you know he’s a boy for sure? If so he may or may not talk, but he’s too young yet. He probably won’t start talking until he’s a few moNyah’s older. First he’ll make little cute garbling noises. Boys are more likely to talk than females, and if he is a boy he will loose his pearls when he molts. It looks like all his flight feathers are clipped, but one has grown back. He will probably land on the floor if he tries to fly, so just make sure it’s soft.

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
Its kind of difficult to tell from this photo about the status of flight feathers. It appears some of them are missing or possible growing back. We will see what others think.
If what the breeder told (and showed me) is correct, then I think he has four feathers clipped on each side

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
Do you know he’s a boy for sure? If so he may or may not talk, but he’s too young yet. He probably won’t start talking until he’s a few moNyah’s older. First he’ll make little cute garbling noises. Boys are more likely to talk than females, and if he is a boy he will loose his pearls when he molts. It looks like all his flight feathers are clipped, but one has grown back. He will probably land on the floor if he tries to fly, so just make sure it’s soft.
Yep, the breeders had him sexed before selling. He's confirmed a boy, I'm thinking of double checking but I have no reason not to believe him. And thank you very much for the advice again! You've been an excellent help, you are a very lovely person, thank you a lot <3

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aww shucks, you’re welcome!:)
Good for you for trying to learn all you can!

PrettyandAlex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ilya
I used millet as reward for good behavior and even the budgies started to learn if they don't bite and only come to living room for spooning for few minutes they get millets but don't give to many millets or you get a fat birdy LOL

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
It appears I never had anything to worry about! As I type he's singing up a storm, I'm still teaching him how to play and trying to introduce him to new snacks but little Squeak is as happy and healthy as ever! Thank you so much everyone for the advice!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He was probably a bit uncertain in his new home. He's obviously feeling more comfortable if he's starting to make noise!

He can absolutely learn to fly but it will take him some time to build up his muscles. Make sure you cover anything that he could fly into - mirrors, windows, glass doors etc - and that his initial fluttering is over a soft surface. He will probably go through a phase of being intensely clumsy and this will probably worry you. It's like babies learning to walk - they look ungainly and will fall down and will certainly not look like an adult gymnast, but they just need time to learn how to co-ordinate their muscles. Some people are tempted to reclip their bird because they're so clumsy at first, but just give him time.

Flying is an energy intensive process and the best way to keep Squeak fit and in good cardiovascular health. Cockatiels tend to be elegant, fast fliers so you'll have fun watching him. You will need to bird-proof his room for a flighted bird - remember that you cannot put things on top of bookcases or wardrobes because *nothing* is out of his reach!