• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with 3mo lovebird??

fchan3

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone,

I am a new bird owner and I bought a 3 month old lovebird yesterday. I got her home and she is very quiet and not moving, and I understand that can happen since she is new to her new home without her other siblings around. But she sleeps a lot and it is starting to worry me a little. She ate some and drank some water, but she is sitting on there preach with eyes closed. I'm starting to wonder if she is sick? There are times where it looks like she is tail bobbing, but I am not too sure. I attached three videos below. Any insight/suggestion would help!! thank you!

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Video says not available. Give her 24 to 48 hours to come around. I know you are worried but she will warm up to the newness.

fchan3

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you for the reply. I have reloaded the videos. Hope they works.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Has she had her wellness health check yet with an avian vet or is she scheduled for one?
That should help define her condition.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely tail bobbing but whether it's due to a health issue or stress/fright is hard to determine. Agree with @saroj12 that you should take her to a vet for a new bird check up unless she has already had a check up.
Congrats, btw. Hope she will be OK and that it's just that she is in a new home with unfamiliar people and objects.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree he/she needs to go to the (avian) vet also to make sure everything is okay - lethargy is not normal, especially for a young lovebird in unfamiliar surroundings. The tail-bobbing in the first video could be anxiety. Does she mostly do that when you get close?

Last edited:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Sometimes acting depressed or "off" is pretty normal when you first get a new baby. Their whole world has changed. Birds have emotions and moods very similar to people. Imagine if everything you knew just up and changed one day and you knew no one any nothing was able to comfort you. It would be a little stressful.

I would get him/her in for a vet check up as soon as you can just to verify there is no illness and its always good to get a check up when you first get a bird that way you have a baseline for down the road.