• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP!!!!! SUN and GREEN. BABIES SOON?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunnygreen1

Moving in
I have had my male Green cheek for about 4 years already. Since a baby. Then I got a sun conure 1 year after.. I didn't know the gender the sun conure until last week. The Sun conure laid 3 eggs in their little snuggle bag. Its like one of those where the conures or any kind of bird can go inside to snuggle and keep warm. I was told to leave the eggs there since she might be encourage to lay more. So I left it. I have not seen both conures mate before. So I was convinced the eggs were empty.

Then yesterday night, I "candled" or put a light under the eggs to look at th inside. To my surprise, there were little veins and a small speck in the center beating in one egg.

Is that normal? I searched in the internet for images of sun and green cheek babies. I learned they cant produce babies.
Then what is going on????!

Please help.
:omg:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As far as I know, it is not impossible for these two birds to produce offspring. Rather than "leave" them, I would have replaced them with fakes or boiled the eggs and put them back.

Sunnygreen1

Moving in
What should I do with the egg that has veins inside? Seems like there might be a baby inside.:huh:

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
The best option is to ensure that they're not viable. Raising baby birds is no joke. It's not something for someone to take on unless you have a lot of experience hand feeding and raising babies. Boiling or freezing will ensure they don't hatch.

GlassOnion

I wouldn't let them hatch, personally. At this stage, the eggs are not "birds" yet, I would boil them and put them back.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I also would boil them all.

Sunnygreen1

Moving in
What will happen if I let it hatch?
I have bred cockatiels and handfed babies. But not conures.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
There are many birds already looking for homes, I think you're doing the right thing! :hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know it is hard when you know that there is the beginning of life in there, but I also think you are doing the right thing :) :hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
It's for the best. Suns and green cheeks are related closely enough to breed, but too distant to create healthy chicks.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I think you are doing the right thing too. While it may seem harsh to do now, it would be so much worse to let them hatch and go through the pain of losing them if they are born with birth defects and whatnot. :hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Yes, so many homeless parrots, it's probably best not to bring more into the world.

We have learned a lot recently about what conures and conures/macaws can hybridize. When I bought my Nanday it was only thought they could cross with Suns and Jendays. So I figured getting a Blue Crown was ok even if it turned out to be male (she is female). Now I know they can cross as well. Luckily my BC turned out to also be a female and I never had to worry about it. But, it sounds like Nandays can cross with pretty much all conures and macaws, so something to keep in mind with these guys.

I would sneak out one egg at a time for boiling. Put that one back, get the next, so as not to upset them.

Yoan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Yoan
I would not boil egg that has a beating heart in it!If there is a heart beating that means a baby is inside and it is development is in a stage where i dont think is humane to be boiled.They will be hybrids,but this doesnt mean they should die.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
They are called suncheeks. Just ask yourself if you are willing to let a wee one go into the world knowing they will have approximately seven homes, poor diets, lack of toys and little to no vet care. Unless you plan to keep them all. Also, you can replace with fake eggs and just let the real eggs cool on their own. There is no guarantee they will properly raise the first batch and you may have to feed them every half hour or watch them pass.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would not boil egg that has a beating heart in it!If there is a heart beating that means a baby is inside and it is development is in a stage where i dont think is humane to be boiled.They will be hybrids,but this doesnt mean they should die.
The chances of them surviving even if they do hatch is slim. Just because there is a heart beat now doesn't mean it's going to hatch anyway. I've candled eggs and saw the heart beat and veins. The eggs never ended up hatching. Everyone is going to have different views on this but if the babies have a high chance of suffering from birth defects that could be fatal is it more humane to end their lives before they can feel pain and perceive the world, or let them suffer and die after they hatch? Because that's what it comes down to in this situation, and if it were me I would rather not see the eggs hatch than suffer the emotional turmoil that would come with babies at high risk for birth defects and death.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Surprisingly, sun x green cheek hybrids are becoming quite popular now.

If you look at the following link, there are photos of green cheeks hybridized with nanday, sun and dusky conures.
Flickr: Search Hybrid Parrots

Other green cheek x sun hybrids
Flickr: kim0024's Photostream
Flickr: MrPicklesIsMyBaby's Photostream

And maroon bellied x dusky
Black Capped Conures

I've heard of, but not seen green cheek x patagonian.

There was also a conure at Mickaboo by the name of Alyce that had the large conure's body but a small conures beak. Unfortunately, her image is no longer available as she has been adopted. (I believe)

I think there's a lot we still have yet to learn about Pyrrhura x Large Conure hybrids... mainly because they are so rare and with the Sun x Green Cheek hybrids being the most popular, the ones we are likely to see the most health problems in - but not necessarily so with other hybrids????

Status
Not open for further replies.