• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please

Eilidh

Moving in
My little brother has a cockatiel and she's acting quite depressed does anyone know how to help her.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Can you elaborate a bit on how she is acting depressed? What is she doing or not doing that she typically does etc..

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Yes, more detail and context would be very helpful! But hope she's hanging in there!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My first concern is if she's sick. We definitely need more info on how she's acting. Is she fluffed up? On the bottom of her cage? Not eating?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My little brother has a cockatiel and she's acting quite depressed does anyone know how to help her.
If she's a new bird she'll need time to settle in. If there's anything new in her cage she'll go quiet til she gets used to it. We really could do with more information, and some photos if you can.

Eilidh

Moving in
@Ripshod @sunnysmom
He has had her for about four months and she's just got less and less bubbly. It's been like this for a while and I would be invlincl to say she isn't sick she eats however she is and has always been fussy. She isn't fluffed up but I would say she looks a little off

Eilidh

Moving in
@Davi @Teckechick she is very quiet and although she isn't at all aggressive she clearly doesn't like spending time with anyone bird or human. She spends most of her time perched on a mirror or picture frame away from everything else. She spends every time she can in her cage on one perch she refuses toys and new interesting foods.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Has she ever liked people or other birds? I would take the mirror away if she is obsessed with it. The mirror could be her choice of companion for lack of a better term.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Has she ever been to an avian vet? Just because she is eating does not mean she is well. Birds eat when they are sick sometimes.

Last edited:

Eilidh

Moving in
@Teckechick not hugely but there was a point she was less isolated. The mirror ideas really helpful thank you

Eilidh

Moving in
@ladyjane she has not. We are trying to find one and the nearest is about an hour and a half away. We are trying to find a way to not make her travel do far so we are looking into that

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Has anything changed as far as the household routine goes? Has she been having less time with humans? Sometimes if a bird acts aloof, humans will stop interacting with them as much, and this creates a vicious circle, sadly. Has he tried simply sitting by her cage while doing something else, such as reading or checking his phone? Sometimes birds just need to know you're there and trusted (and it takes them much longer than it takes humans, sometimes). A vet visit would be ideal, but I understand your concern also.