• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Please?

RadhaVallabhi

Rollerblading along the road
My parrotlets Vrindarika and Gopal are fully flighted and step up without a problem and aren't scared of me. I have had them for two years, and I haven't been able to hand train them. They had some problems with the breeder that has made them scared of hands and I also think that this stops them from being fully affectionate. I have been a slack Joe with trying to train them because I didn't really know what and was swamped with school work. My brother took Gopal to college with him. When Gopal was gone I could give Vrindarika scritches on her neck and rub her however I wanted for some millet, but when my brother brought Gopal back from college she stopped allowing. Currently, Without Vrindarika noticing, I can rub her belly and neck some,but as soon as she looks and sees the hand she bites and pushes my hand away. So, what can I do to get her to allow touch and trust me? Thanks :)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It sounds like they're just bonded to each other. If they'll step up for you they're not afraid of hands. My guess is that as long as they're together they're not going to be super affectionate with you like they are when they're apart. Are they in the same cage?

Deueller

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Zach
I agree, They sound bonded and when they are together, don't want much to do with people.

RadhaVallabhi

They're brother and sister so they are bonded, but I was hoping that since she doesn't seem to mind the touch I could train her to allow it like I've seen some other people do with their bonded pairs. Thanks so much for the advice though! :hug8:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Don't think of it as training her to accept touch, a bird allowing you to hold/scratch/cuddle them is all about trust. If you go slowly and allow them to call the shots you may still be able to have more physical contact with them :)

Vicki

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Would they come out together and spend time with you? She may not allow rubbing and touching but they can still love being on your hands and enjoying you, your voice and your treats!

RadhaVallabhi

Oh, I should have updated. :) Things are going much better. Even though it may take her a long time or she may never like getting held all the time, I'm happy with how she is now. She doesn't seem scared of my hands anymore, and allows soft belly rubs. :dance5: (Believe me when I say she has the softest belly :hehe: ) The main thing I was worried about is that she was always going to think that I would hurt her, but now that I see she likes being touched by me and isn't scared, I'm all good. Besides she may eventually soften up more, she loves a good scritch and snuggle. :laugh: