• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help pie pumpkin

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I think I know how to do prepare this, but would like your ideas also.
my thoughts are scrub the outside well, open thru the top, scoop out all the seeds (for the birds), cut into 1/4's, season with cinnamon, ginger and bake at 350 to 375 degrees on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, until a fork slips thru the meat easily. peel away the skin and mash the flesh and chill. this will be for my birds and part of their morning breakfast. so no salt or pepper.
any ideas will be welcome. thank you

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Wow, sounds yummy. When we made pumpkin pie for Canadian Thanksgiving we just cut up one section into little chunks instead of steaming it in the microwave and saved it for the birds. They happily ate it raw. Loved the seeds too.

Now that we know they both like pumpkin we'll have to try picking up some of the pre-cut butternut squash they carry at the supermarket when pumpkin is out of season.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Cinnamon only on my pumpkin/squash; and very lightly. Whether I serve it cooked or raw for the birds. Now and then a very small amount of sugar; if I want Sunshine to eat some of it. Will not eat unsweetened squash/pumpkin.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
pumpkin is in the oven baking. I forgot how goopy they are. seeds are ready to go into the oven too.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I did one last night. I had no clue they were that hard to cut!!!

I just cut off the rind and chopped it raw. Haven't added to the chop mixture yet though. Raw seems to be okay for the parrots though?

@rocky'smom it was my first attempt at seeds. Then I looked at the reviews on the bottom of the recipes on this site:
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Next try will be better. I was too tired and just flung the seeds on Reynolds wrap on the pan.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
here are some pictures:
pumpkin b/4 cooking
IMG_0001.JPG
this little pumpkin weighed 3 lbs. 4 oz.
after baking and cooling:
IMG_0002.JPG
I peeled one half of it after it came out of the oven.
IMG_0003.JPG
tastes pretty good, sweet with slight squashy taste.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
the seeds are still drying out in oven. Rocky loved his pumpkin seeds. I hope that Sweet Pea & Bebe will love them too.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
ok, I chilled it overnight and process it tonight. 1 lb. 7 1/4 oz. of pumpkin mashed and 2 1/4 oz. of seeds. it made 6 snack size zip lock bags with the following spices or herbs in the mash; 2 with cinnamon, 2 with ginger, 1 with basil and one plain. it is freezing now. the birds had their first taste this AM of plain pumpkin. they were like 'ok mom, what are you feeding us now'