• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! One of my pair is overweight!

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
Just did a weight check: My black-capped green cheek conure is normal weight at 72g, my turquoise green cheek is 100g :wideyed: They share a cage and food bowls (and my chubby one tends to get first dibs).
They have a healthy diet: Breakfast is homemade mash/chop, heavy on vegetables, dinner is a few Nutriberries and Roudybush pellets (limited quantities). Snacks are fresh veggie skewers with mostly peppers. Treats for training and getting into cage are walnuts, safflower seeds, pomegranate seeds. Fruit is very limited.
How do I put one bird on a diet when they share everything? Grateful for any tips from anyone who has been in this situation.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sometimes encouraging more exercising by strategically placing toys and food out in the room can help.

Maybe other members might have more ideas...

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
Sometimes encouraging more exercising by strategically placing toys and food out in the room can help.

Maybe other members might have more ideas...
Thanks, I should add that they are fully flighted and spend about 8 hours a day out of the cage in a large living space, so they both get plenty of exercise already.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Do they forage? Maybe up the foraging only have veggies in their bowls and have pellets and rest in foraging toys so they have to work for food

I don’t know if @Mizzely or @Pixiebeak as any ideas

can you weigh food maybe if they have a lot of time out could you make sure they have separate feeding times

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
Do they forage? Maybe up the foraging only have veggies in their bowls and have pellets and rest in foraging toys so they have to work for food

I don’t know if @Mizzely or @Pixiebeak as any ideas

can you weigh food maybe if they have a lot of time out could you make sure they have separate feeding times
Yeah, the chubby one is a pro at foraging and will eat all the seeds/Nutriberries I hide, gets to them first :laugh:, and I've tried separate bowls and feeding times, but she always muscles her way in first, too.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Is the chubby one female? She might be deciding to lay eggs ...

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
Is the chubby one female? She might be deciding to lay eggs ...
Both are female (bonded pair, I rescued them together). Yes to eggs -- she's already on #4 this season (I'm already working on it, in touch with the vet, too)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oooh you have a Zephyr and Jewel bird. Jewel has gotten up to 110 at her heaviest. They are both currently on thyroid meds but I had to increase zephyrs meds and I need to make them a large flight for extra exercise. Just be careful the other baby doesn’t get into the thyroid meds if you go that route.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Are you sure she is overweight and not just large? Has a vet confirmed this? Some individuals can be at the far upper end of the spectrum without actually being overweight, just like some humans are taller and therefore weigh more. How does her keel bone feel?

If you are concerned, I would go to the vet and then proceed from there before you make any changes.

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
Are you sure she is overweight and not just large? Has a vet confirmed this? Some individuals can be at the far upper end of the spectrum without actually being overweight, just like some humans are taller and therefore weigh more. How does her keel bone feel?

If you are concerned, I would go to the vet and then proceed from there before you make any changes.
Thanks, that's a good point. Have never felt her keel bone - she's a rescue, used to be terrified of humans and hands, but now tolerates stepping up. She's very sweet, but I'd lose a few fingers if I tried to touch her :lol: