• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

help needed with slider turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
my husband just rescued a red eared slider from his ex wifes house. it has been severely neglected. has had no food, water or heat for a VERY long time. i believe she is trying to hibernate, but the conditions were way off, and she will die. we are soaking her in a tiny bit of water/electrolye mix, and very slowly raising her temp. her eyes are sunk in, and so dry she cant blink or shut her eyes. i gave her eye drops, and later will gently clean them. this turtle has been wandering around their house for months, and smells like the cat has peed on it, a lot.
we also gave her a full spectrum bulb.
dunno what else to do.
she just looks terrible. if i saw her outside, i would think she was dead.
sliders are illegal in oregon, and im afraid if i take it to the vet it will be confiscated, or they wont treat her.
camera is dead, will maybe take pics later.

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
I don't know about red sliders, but if she's suffering you should get her to the vet. There are many turtle rescues out there and someone should be able to either help her or humanely euthanize her. This sounds like an emergency if her eyes are sunken in. Please do what you can to help her.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
I agree if she is really ill you need to go to the vets :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Have you been able to get him to eat? Here is some info I found-I hope it helps-Good Luck:hug8:

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
well honestly she needs to be seen by a vet she could have RI and if she does she needs meds but for the moment keep her warm and plenty of water also you can give her pedia lite and you can maybe get some earth worms see if she will eat one it sounds to me she is very dehyrated and underfed i own alot of turtles most have ben rescues becouse ppl didnt want to bother with them anymore i do understand that it maybe illegal to own it where your at but if you have no intent of keeping it call a vet and tell them you found it this way or a wild life rescue place so it can get some help . if you need anymore info you are welcome to pm me

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have an extra tank and heater to set her up in? Rubbermnaid sterlite containers work well also.You should keep her water temp at about 80.She'll also need a basking area....a regular light bulb 75 watt should work on a clamp light this is her warmth over the basking area....plus a UVB light. I sure hope you can save her.Keep us updated.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
we do wish to keep her. not only are we horrified at her conditions, but this is a species i kept as a child, very sucessfully, and i have a soft spot for them. i have a lot of knowledge on these turtles, i just have never seen one so close to death.
there is no turtle rescue here. there is a herp club, and i am waiting to hear from a member. he is a breeder of reptiles, and a rescue, and really knows his stuff. his animals are spoiled rotten.
as far as i know there is no good herp vet here, but i will ask my friend. another friend i have, found a large green lizard in his backyard. took it to the vet, the vet identified as an iguana, gave them caresheets on the species. out of curiousity, i made a visit to see this lucky lizard. it was not an iguana, but a water dragon. our town reptile vet identified a water dragon as an iggy...no wonder he wouldnt eat his veggies...
the turtle is in a plastic tub, with maybe half inch of water. she is so lethargic, i am worried she may drown. she has pedialyte. i doubt she has strength or will to eat. she has a heat lamp.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
forgot to add she had a GIANT drink of water, and is moving a bit.

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
well it sounds like your doing all you can for her and she is in good hands with you

Chicklet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jamie
Congrats for rescuing her :) I've worked with reptiles for a couple years now, in the veterinary medicine department and reptiles are much hardier than birds in cases of neglect. IMO if she doesn't show any outward signs of a resp. infection or severe calcium deficiency then she doesn't need to immediately see the vet, especially if your "reptile" vet knows less than the average reptile owner.

As long as she has UV lighting, a basking lamp, which you said she has you should be ok. If you can get her to eat anything though, try and grind up a cuttlebone on it to get some calcium into her. Good Luck she sounds like she's in good hands! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.