• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Me With This

Status
Not open for further replies.

susie a

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Susie A
Good Morning :)

I want a Severe Macaw, which I understand can be a difficult bird. I currently have an 8mo CAG and am looking for another young bird that can be his companion (from another cage).

I have found a couple of breeders that MIGHT have eggs soon.

I have also found a bird on Craigslist that needs a home. The CL bird is said to be 6yo and not really happy about being handled.

I have always worked with rescues (dogs and cats) but I am not sure about taking in a difficult bird that may or maynot have issues.

What are some of the questions I need to ask, myself and the current owner, before making this decision. I am torn at the moment. When I put my rescue hat on I say, this is a bird that is already born and he/she needs a forever home. OTOH, I want a bird that I can handle, cuddle with and make a real part of the family.

Any input from you more experienced with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Susie

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
First off "cuddling" with a bird, especially when there is another bird around can and probably will lead to problems you really don't want.

An adult bird is set in it's ways and once they bond with you that won't change. Not necessarily the case with a baby bird. Once the bird matures and hits puberty it may decide it does not like you anymore and wants new blood for a mate. (Which is also true for the bird you have now)

If the two birds become friends and bond, if you start to show affection to one of them when the other can see it, you run the risk of the other bird getting jealous and showing some aggressive behavior towards you or the other bird. I'm not saying these things "will" happen to you but they are common scenarios that happen all the time.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good Morning :)
I want a Severe Macaw, which I understand can be a difficult bird. I currently have an 8mo CAG and am looking for another young bird that can be his companion (from another cage).

I have found a couple of breeders that MIGHT have eggs soon.

I have also found a bird on Craigslist that needs a home. The CL bird is said to be 6yo and not really happy about being handled.

I have always worked with rescues (dogs and cats) but I am not sure about taking in a difficult bird that may or maynot have issues.

What are some of the questions I need to ask, myself and the current owner, before making this decision. I am torn at the moment. When I put my rescue hat on I say, this is a bird that is already born and he/she needs a forever home. OTOH, I want a bird that I can handle, cuddle with and make a real part of the family.

Any input from you more experienced with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Susie
Good morning, Susie :) There are several people here with Severe macaws, and I'm sure they'd love to share their experiences.

Until they do, I can offer a few general thoughts about rehomed macaws, because I have two of them. First, let me just say that, while I feel it is very worthwhile to take in a rehome, it is not for the faint of heart. Even a bird that has a naturally sweet disposition can be very, very difficult when transitioning to a new home (after the initial off-kilter "honeymoon phase" which, with my birds, lasted a couple of weeks or so). Some rehomes do have issues due to mishandling, and these will show up in the early months. If you're lucky, these will be readily reversible. If not, you may have to put in some time and work.

My Blue and Gold, Elvis, is a doll by nature, but when I first got her, she screamed, was aggressive, lunged at everyone, and pulled the "pet me, I'm cute---HA! Gotcha! I'm really gonna bite you!" trick. It took her three months to settle in. It was not an easy three months, but it was worth it. My RFM, Zoe, is still in the "Gotcha!" stage, and I'm hoping she'll stop one of these days :rolleyes: She was a bit of a screamer when I first got her, but she's pretty much stopped that now.

Severe macaws are certainly not known for being "cuddly" but it's possible that you could develop a good relationship with the bird so that it would allow some petting or preening. All of my macaws enjoy a good scritch. Of my birds, only my baby Hahn's is "cuddly," and she'll outgrow that, which is fine with me, because she will grow into her adult personality, which will include all sorts of funny, entertaining behaviors. :)

Questions you should ask the owner include any and all information related to age, health and diet (you'll also want to know if the bird has ever seen a vet). You should also ask if the bird steps up, whether it is cage aggressive, bird aggressive, whether it screams (or how often), and whether or not it has a preference for men or women.

I'm sure others will offer additional suggestions. But, these are just a few that come to mind.

I do hope you will consider the rehome, but you may need to adjust your expectations a little if you do. I do recommend it as an experience overall, though. There's nothing like gaining the trust of a frightened, homeless fid. :hug8:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Good morning, Susie :) There are several people here with Severe macaws, and I'm sure they'd love to share their experiences.

Until they do, I can offer a few general thoughts about rehomed macaws, because I have two of them. First, let me just say that, while I feel it is very worthwhile to take in a rehome, it is not for the faint of heart. Even a bird that has a naturally sweet disposition can be very, very difficult when transitioning to a new home (after the initial off-kilter "honeymoon phase" which, with my birds, lasted a couple of weeks or so). Some rehomes do have issues due to mishandling, and these will show up in the early months. If you're lucky, these will be readily reversible. If not, you may have to put in some time and work.

My Blue and Gold, Elvis, is a doll by nature, but when I first got her, she screamed, was aggressive, lunged at everyone, and pulled the "pet me, I'm cute---HA! Gotcha! I'm really gonna bite you!" trick. It took her three months to settle in. It was not an easy three months, but it was worth it. My RFM, Zoe, is still in the "Gotcha!" stage, and I'm hoping she'll stop one of these days :rolleyes: She was a bit of a screamer when I first got her, but she's pretty much stopped that now.

Severe macaws are certainly not known for being "cuddly" but it's possible that you could develop a good relationship with the bird so that it would allow some petting or preening. All of my macaws enjoy a good scritch. Of my birds, only my baby Hahn's is "cuddly," and she'll outgrow that, which is fine with me, because she will grow into her adult personality, which will include all sorts of funny, entertaining behaviors. :)

Questions you should ask the owner include any and all information related to age, health and diet (you'll also want to know if the bird has ever seen a vet). You should also ask if the bird steps up, whether it is cage aggressive, bird aggressive, whether it screams (or how often), and whether or not it has a preference for men or women.

I'm sure others will offer additional suggestions. But, these are just a few that come to mind.

I do hope you will consider the rehome, but you may need to adjust your expectations a little if you do. I do recommend it as an experience overall, though. There's nothing like gaining the trust of a frightened, homeless fid. :hug8:
Perfectly said Holiday!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Great post!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Also you cannot choose a companion for your bird. It would be like your parents going out and picking a stranger off the street and letting him live in your room.

And you have a baby that needs all of your love, attention, guidance, teaching and socializing right now.

Keep your focus on your baby.

Ginger

M

M.C Bird Rescue

First off "cuddling" with a bird, especially when there is another bird around can and probably will lead to problems you really don't want.

An adult bird is set in it's ways and once they bond with you that won't change. Not necessarily the case with a baby bird. Once the bird matures and hits puberty it may decide it does not like you anymore and wants new blood for a mate. (Which is also true for the bird you have now)

If the two birds become friends and bond, if you start to show affection to one of them when the other can see it, you run the risk of the other bird getting jealous and showing some aggressive behavior towards you or the other bird. I'm not saying these things "will" happen to you but they are common scenarios that happen all the time.
This is also good info.

susie a

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Susie A
Also you cannot choose a companion for your bird. It would be like your parents going out and picking a stranger off the street and letting him live in your room.

And you have a baby that needs all of your love, attention, guidance, teaching and socializing right now.

Keep your focus on your baby.

Ginger
Right now Bently is home alone. He is there all day alone while I work and my daughter is at school. I was thinking (maybe wrong) that he would at least have another bird to call to and chatter with. Maybe they would never speak :) but at least he won't be by himself.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Susie my birds dont physically interact with each other but they most certainly do keep each other company and have many little sounds they make back and forth to each other. I KNOW they are bonded in a non-physical sense. :)

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Forgive me if someone has said this already, but macaws have very sensitive respitory systems and have been known to be "allergic" to grey's dust. Have you considered another grey? If you want them to enjoy each others company, it's best that they speak each others language. A grey and a severe are very different birds.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
macaws have very sensitive respitory systems and have been known to be "allergic" to grey's dust.
This is true. At the very least, you'd need to run an air purifier with a HEPA filter. Some of our members who have greys and macaws run more than one.

susie a

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Susie A
Susie my birds dont physically interact with each other but they most certainly do keep each other company and have many little sounds they make back and forth to each other. I KNOW they are bonded in a non-physical sense. :)

Glad to hear it. That was what I am hoping for. They will have their own spaces and will be able to talk about me while I am gone :highfive:

Susie

susie a

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Susie A

Thanks so much for the input. I will get more information from the current owner then I will have to decide if I am up to the challenge.

Susie

wezl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Carla Rae
Susie, I'm glad to hear all the positive input for you. I think you need to be VERY careful with this ad. While I did get Kaylee from a person off the ATL CL and it was a positive experience, I cruise the ads pretty regular and have come across several scams involving birds. If you do, make sure you do your homework. Try asking the seller (in this case, I think that's appropriate to say) questions that are very specific to Severes. Kaylee's mom didn't post pics to her ad either, but was quick to send me some when I contacted her. Just remember to not give info about yourself. A legit seller/re-homer/rescue will understand that and not press for more info right away. They may ask questions about how you will keep the bird, cage space time, that sort of thing and that's good, but not if the first questions are of a personal nature. Good luck with whatever you decide!

susie a

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Susie A
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thanks neighbor! The bird is currently in it's second home :( I will use caution and make sure I ask lots more questions before I make a final decision.

Glad I have gotten so much input here. I wasn't sure what all to ask.

Susie

Lotsa Birds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sandy
Hi,
If you go with the Severe that is a rehome, you may have to consider that it could take a year or more to really bond with it. I love severes (though I don't own one) but they don't trust easily and can be very nervous and high strung. I worked for Tanya (Mystic's Mom) for 4 years and she has a severe Hannah, who is one of my favorite birds. Hannah can be handled by Tanya well, but its taken me years to build up trust in her, and while she doesn't love me, I think I would be second on her list of people she does trust. I respect her for what she is and dont push her.

As for a companion for you grey, you may want to consider another grey.I think greys are more comfortable around other greys, especially in a flock of three or more. While many are fine alone, my three thrive together. They don't like each other as in playing on a stand with each other but are much less nervous with the others around. They snub the other birds I have (ekkies and Red Belly) and copy everything one of the others do. In their own way they depend on each other, and love the company of the other.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. Good luck with your decision.

Sandy

susie a

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Susie A
If you have sent me a PM I can't reply because I am a Rookie here and haven't posted enough :( Just wanted you to know I appreciate the information and will respond when I am allowed.

Susie

Status
Not open for further replies.