• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me save my kitchen!

Butchsmom

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
We have a military macaw who is 38 years old now. He is in a bird room with a senegal. Bop is not flighted. We are his second owners. The senegal is flighted and basically rules the bird room. There is a window on the living room wall so the bird room can see us. I work from home. Hubby is here all the time as well.

First thing in the morning, Bopp comes out to spend some time with us out of the bird room. He climbs up in my office chair with me at my desk, and then will crawl down and go exploring in the kitchen for a bit while the dogs sit on the couch with hubby. I put a box of toys on the kitchen floor for him, including plenty of blocks of wood to chew (I could rent him out as a toothpick maker). Lately, he has been having a love affair with my kitchen cabinets. I try to barricade as many of the cabinets as I can, but don't have enough to barricade the entire kitchen. Can't put anything he can climb as he will counter surf. Does anyone have any ideas what I can use to barricade the cabinets that is easy to remove when he goes back in the bird room?

He spends about an hour to hour and a half out with me and my hubby. He is not hungry. He gets his chop first thing and then various fruits/nuts, et cetera, throughout the day.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Floor birds are always a terror. Lol!

It's probably a phase and will change with time but you probably won't have cabinets left before he is done.

How about some thin plexiglass sheets? You could even buy sheets of plastic tupperware type material. What a pain... I'd say hanging blankets but I'm sure he would climb them for counter time.

Maybe pictures of the area could help us?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How about a play gym instead? One on wheels you can move around. Better than letting him on the floor. My B&G would have my cabinets destroyed in a heart beat, so she's not permitted on the kitchen floor.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I lucked out that Michael is not a big wood chewer, unless it is thin, but he looks for wires, so I have to keep him on stands. I also put thick plastic around the wires in his room just in case.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
yes, sheets of plexiglas work well. tall enough that he can't reach the top to grab on and climb.
Thick enough to stand up and then use heavy duty library book ends to keep from falling over. They are taller and heavier than the kind you usually see.
I bought mine so long ago I can't remember where....ask at your local library for sources.
Also - fireplace screens are better than baby gates because the mesh is too fine to grab onto and they often can be freestanding.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
You could try cardboard.You can go to your local furniture store and get big boxes to cut up into sheets.