• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me name our wolf hybrid please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
we are still deciding but should have an answer later today :)

Now to answer to the question about why.... they definately are NOT for everyone. They do no act like a dog and really shouldn't be expected to being they are part wolf. Wolves by nature are not aggressive, they are however shy. They need extensive socialization from a very young age which unfortunately this guy did not get and he is very "spooky" and shy around strangers and will run from them. Wolves typically will not attack unless they have a very, very good reason for doing so. They will just run away from the situation.
They do not become mature until late, around 2-3 years old. They can be EXTREMELY destructive, if you thought your macaw could splinter some wood well a wolf can pretty much rip apart an entire home within just a few short hours.... hmmm though that does sound like some birds I know too hahahaha
He is learning how to behave within a household and how to not eat my house when we are gone because he has many other things to chew on lol. He goes for walks many times a day to help burn off some of that energy of his and to also help socialize him around noises such as strangers, cars, children, etc. He is a wonderful dog but unfortunately was allowed to pretty much do whatever he wanted to so he is terrified of even simple things such as getting into a car. We are devoted to working with him and helping him overcome these issues.
The woman that owned him did not have the right personality to own such a large dog, she let him do what he wanted and he took full advantage of that. She knew he wasn't going to do well in her environment but didn't realize what would happen to him if she took him to animal control as they would euthenize him immediately just for being a hybrid so he got his second chance here with us and this is where he will stay forever.
Thank you so much everyone for your nice comments, I probably should have included some of that info in my original post as he is most definately very beautiful on the outside and the inside too :) but the hybrids are definately not for everyone and that should be taken into consideration before adding one to your family. I will say that us parrot owners are probably really good candidates for hybrid ownership though being we put up with screaming, chewing, biting, and other unruly but normal parrot behavior that other "normal" people would never even attempt, ahhhh it's so nice not to be normal hahahaha

Ah, so nice to meet an educated person about these and you didn't get into them lightly.
Unfortunatly after talking with the person that runs the wolf center, pm me for a name, she's quite well known in the wolf world, she said that unlike wolves hybrids are often more dangerous than wolves themselves (which as you stated are generally not dangerous but can be). She believes that its due to the fact that they are inbetween- not wolf but not dog either.

At anyrate, I'm glad you are well informed as to what your getting into, I for one am not a believer in keeping hybrids, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen and they need somewhere to go.
For the record, he is beautiful and I like the name Lance. He rather reminds me of our wolves up north here.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I like River! WOWZA is he stunning! In my town we have a sanctuary for wolves & hybrids called Shy Wolf Sanctuary.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oooo! We owned a wolf hybrid when I was a kid, She was 60% Timber Wolf and 40% GSD mix, there was a whole litter of pups that ended up on our property up in Northern Minnesota. She was my childhood dog and we called her Sheba, and she was the best dog I have ever known, hands down. We socialized her right away from when she was a puppy, and she was so good with us as kids and took great care of us. I was actually holding her head when she died :(

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
we are still deciding but should have an answer later today :)

Now to answer to the question about why.... they definately are NOT for everyone. They do no act like a dog and really shouldn't be expected to being they are part wolf. Wolves by nature are not aggressive, they are however shy. They need extensive socialization from a very young age which unfortunately this guy did not get and he is very "spooky" and shy around strangers and will run from them. Wolves typically will not attack unless they have a very, very good reason for doing so. They will just run away from the situation.
They do not become mature until late, around 2-3 years old. They can be EXTREMELY destructive, if you thought your macaw could splinter some wood well a wolf can pretty much rip apart an entire home within just a few short hours.... hmmm though that does sound like some birds I know too hahahaha
He is learning how to behave within a household and how to not eat my house when we are gone because he has many other things to chew on lol. He goes for walks many times a day to help burn off some of that energy of his and to also help socialize him around noises such as strangers, cars, children, etc. He is a wonderful dog but unfortunately was allowed to pretty much do whatever he wanted to so he is terrified of even simple things such as getting into a car. We are devoted to working with him and helping him overcome these issues.
The woman that owned him did not have the right personality to own such a large dog, she let him do what he wanted and he took full advantage of that. She knew he wasn't going to do well in her environment but didn't realize what would happen to him if she took him to animal control as they would euthenize him immediately just for being a hybrid so he got his second chance here with us and this is where he will stay forever.
Thank you so much everyone for your nice comments, I probably should have included some of that info in my original post as he is most definately very beautiful on the outside and the inside too :) but the hybrids are definately not for everyone and that should be taken into consideration before adding one to your family. I will say that us parrot owners are probably really good candidates for hybrid ownership though being we put up with screaming, chewing, biting, and other unruly but normal parrot behavior that other "normal" people would never even attempt, ahhhh it's so nice not to be normal hahahaha
I am so glad to read this post. I train dogs professionally and you are so right, they are not for everyone. A lot of people think that they are just like having a dog, not the case. It takes a lot to maintain them and meet their needs. I am so glad you mentioned the part about how destructive they can be too, many people don't realize, particularly the higher content hybrids can be extremely destructive. Thank you for pointing all this out. Typically when people talk about having or wanting a wolf or hybrid, I cringe. Many are not prepared to take the extra precautions and go the extra mile to make sure that the animals needs are being met. You have done your homework...... I like the name River:rolleyes:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
(which as you stated are generally not dangerous but can be). She believes that its due to the fact that they are inbetween- not wolf but not dog either.

Yes, it is said because (depending on the content of both and the individual animals make up) the "dog" part takes away a lot of the shyness, making them bolder with people but still having other wolf traits.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, what a beautiful dog, he is soo awesome looking! I like Spirit

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
WOW, he is beautiful. I like the name River also.

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
I love the name Spirit too Ede-Bird!
Ohh I've dones tons of research on wolf hybrids, they defiantly need a knowledgeable owner and more than enough space inside and outside and a 6' high fence :scared2: ! That's why they will probably always remain just a dream for me *sigh* lol. I guess I would call wolves my fav animal if I could choose one (i hate to say fav animal b/c I love them all)
TielyGirl I love the "Growing Up" show on Animal Planet, of course the wolf episode is my fav,i even taped it. Does the lady still have wolves?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness, he is amazing! AA the best with him. :hug8:

Deb76

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deb
we have decided on the name River for him, thank you all so much for the suggestions, much appreciated!!! He is a very much loved member of the family and will remain with us always regardless of any unruly behavior, we will work through it together. He has showed us several times that he trusts us fully which is something he didn't feel in his last household as he was even afraid of her probably because he was always scolded and threatened there and wolf hybrids are extremely sensitive to any type of discipline so we are ignoring the bad behavior and rewarding the good and he's blossoming in our home and trying his best to please us. We have a 6 foot high wooden privacy fence however he is not allowed to just roam the yard alone, I go out there with him and run around with him and we also go for a daily run and also one walk in the morning and one in the evening to help prevent destructive behavior from boredom.
He is being fed buffalo blue wilderness blend along with cooked chicken livers, fish and salmon, and some rice mixed in. They are sensitive to what they are fed and can't digest "cheap* diets that are full of fillers such as corn and by products. He only gets the best. I can't thank you enough for all of your suggestions and well wishes and praises, it's very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.