• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent help!! i used convection of microwave

koneko

Strolling the yard
my microwave was on convection mode for baking cookies.i am so scared.my bird was in the next room.it was running for 7 minutes at 200°C.i switched it off and closed the kitchen's door,opened windows and turned on fan.took my bird in another room.should i be worried?he seems to be fine but it just happened.so i am not sure

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm not familiar with convection microwaves but a convection stove just has extra fans to keep the heat circulating evenly.
I'm not thinking a convection microwave would be dangerous but I'm sure other members would know better.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I too don't think convection mode was harmful to your parrot. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will offer some advice. You did great by airing the room asap just in case.

koneko

Strolling the yard
I'm not familiar with convection microwaves but a convection stove just has extra fans to keep the heat circulating evenly.
I'm not thinking a convection microwave would be dangerous but I'm sure other members would know better.
i hope so

koneko

Strolling the yard
I too don't think convection mode was harmful to your parrot. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will offer some advice. You did great by airing the room asap just in case.
yes.i even took him outside.he seems to be active as usual

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't know if there is an issue with the convection function but if there is a non-stick surface inside that could be an issue.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If you’re concerned about Teflon, it needs to be superheated (usually over 500 F) to cause an issue, and if your bird was going to have a reaction to it, it would have happened already. Teflon toxicity happens very very quickly.

I haven’t heard of issues with convection ovens either. Just the standard warning of not using the self clean option

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Did some reading. Most microwaves are stainless steel or ceramic. While there are many brands those are the most common even in convection types.

A convection oven or microwave has a fan feature built in to push the air evenly.

"In contrast, convection oven technology uses a fan to force air movement and heat up the full interior of the microwave to cook food from the inside out. That's why you can use convection microwaves to bake and roast things that would otherwise be cooked too quickly (and not thoroughly) with just a regular microwave."

When you turn on convection mode, you are only turning on a fan. If your appliance is Teflon free using the convection feature should be safe.

koneko

Strolling the yard
If you’re concerned about Teflon, it needs to be superheated (usually over 500 F) to cause an issue, and if your bird was going to have a reaction to it, it would have happened already. Teflon toxicity happens very very quickly.

I haven’t heard of issues with convection ovens either. Just the standard warning of not using the self clean option
i see.it wasn't that heated and my bird seems to be normal.over 12 hours have passed

koneko

Strolling the yard
Did some reading. Most microwaves are stainless steel or ceramic. While there are many brands those are the most common even in convection types.

A convection oven or microwave has a fan feature built in to push the air evenly.

"In contrast, convection oven technology uses a fan to force air movement and heat up the full interior of the microwave to cook food from the inside out. That's why you can use convection microwaves to bake and roast things that would otherwise be cooked too quickly (and not thoroughly) with just a regular microwave."

When you turn on convection mode, you are only turning on a fan. If your appliance is Teflon free using the convection feature should be safe.
oh i didn't know that.thanks.i think mine has stainless steel.doesn't look like teflon