• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! I accidentally put cassia cinnamon in my conures food

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The amount in a small bite is unlikely to be an issue. It's going to be a mix of dosage and how often. Eating a high amount daily would be unwise.

There are many spices we can use: cayenne, ginger, and turmeric, as an example. You can also buy plain oatmeal and add spice to it; most of the pre-spiced ones have a ton of sugar.

I forgot I do use one spice mix that has Ceylon in it.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Ok. So your concern with the chop being made was because it would be fed every day. That’s what I wanted to know. It seemed a tiny dosage to me and I haven’t searched to see if cinnamon toxicity has been tested in chicken or quail.

i made a pumpkin pie (custard, or without the crust) as I’m clearing out my cupboard. I took a look at my cinnamons. The first super cheap brand (spice island maybe) didn’t list origin or describe as cassia or Ceylon. The second was from Penzey’s and described exactly what was in the jar by species and origin, and was a mix of Ceylon cinnamons and cassias. It contained three species which I don’t recall names of.

sounds like the guys can have a bit of pumpkin pie since this only happens 3 times a year.

Thank you all for discussing this so I don’t have to think about it.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Cinnamon & Coumarin: Is It Bad For Your Health? Has calculated out safe dose of Coumarin in cassia or Ceylon cinnamon.

this source lists for human consumption the safe limit of 0.1 mg per kg. If I presume parrot dose is similar…

what I came up with for 125 g Quaker eating cassia cinnamon: Quaker is 1/8 kg so might safely eat 0.0125 mg coumarin.

cassia cinnamon has 5.8 mg to 12.1 mg per tsp.
1/100 of tsp gives .0058 or .0121 mg coumarin.

so yes, that tiny amount (1/2 tsp cassia cinnamon in 50 servings of chop) could be a questionable dose.
Wow!!

what about 1/1000 of a pumpkin pie that has a tsp cassia cinnamon (0.1 ng Coumadin or 1/1000 mg)?
That should be safe; willow probably won’t eat 1/1000th of the pie.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it was a month of chop, the dosage would be higher, as I would calculate that as 30 servings!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
If it was a month of chop, the dosage would be higher, as I would calculate that as 30 servings!
Exactly. I didn’t know how big the batch was but depending on the coumarin in that specific cinnamon batch it would be on the edge of safety and maybe isn’t good enough. This was done without getting the calculator out and saying: ok, got 1/2 tsp and 50 servings.

I hadnt ever seen the numbers written out so I wanted to figure it out so I would understand it, not to challenge you but to get it in my brain.

I didn’t mean to offend; but I need to understand this so I know what’s safe and what isn’t as I do enjoy cooking and neither of my cinnamon stocks is pure Ceylon cinnamon. It was to make my compulsive brain happy.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No offense taken at all! I didn't feel challenged. Thanks for doing the math :)

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
It makes me feel so much better than to guess.
Also makes me wonder why I’m jittery and feeling bad from cinnamon pills. But I’m much much bigger than a Quaker so I should be able to safely eat a lot more cinnamon.