• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP! How do you determine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
I don't know what kind of noise that is. Sounds like he imitating something like the microwave or something, a dog whining.
I don't know. I can see where it would annoy you.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You are so lucky that's all the loud bellowing he does. It sounds perfectly normal to me. Come out to the zon rescue with me if your ever up here in WA state. I'll show you some crazy loud territorial war cry amazons. Wasabi is a cutie. :heart:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To me it sounds like a loud submarine from the old war movies. It just goes right through you. Yesterday he scared me half to death twice with sudden shrieks. Maybe he thinks its fun to watch me jump?

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
You are so lucky that's all the loud bellowing he does. It sounds perfectly normal to me. Come out to the zon rescue with me if your ever up here in WA state. I'll show you some crazy loud territorial war cry amazons. Wasabi is a cutie. :heart:
Right you are. When Shumway gets started with his scream you can't hear yourself think, I have to walk outside and he likes doing it when I have company. I keep a cage in the bedroom just for him, when that happens. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
OMG he's so cute. Now the pitch of that I can see would be a bit annoying. Sounds like a County truck backing up with the warning sound they make. Was he perhaps around where he was able to pick something like this up? Hearing a garbage truck pull in and back up?

He is NOT screaming, that is not a scream. Imagine a Zon going off the deep end with all sorts of demonic sounds mixed in with some shrieking. Now that gets to me when mine go off the deep end and it's x2 :omg:

Does he like music? Maybe you can play some music he'd like when he starts in with the garbage truck sound. :D

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
When making the other pets their food are you using a microwave? Most of the time you're in the kitchen when he makes this sound, so that's why I'm thinking it's the microwave he's imitating.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Terri, what your Wasabi does as a 'bellow' is the sound my Pedro YNA does when he thinks he is being ignored and wants my attention. With Pedro I ignore him till he is quiet for more than 30 seconds and then I tell him "Hello, Pedro". Most of the time he will stop the call, but once in a while he will continue until I leave the room. This is a desperate contact call, in my opinion.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
sorry your having problems but and i might be talking through my hat but mango needs 14 to 15 hrs sleep ok thats # 1 also he was quite noisy
for a long time im talking months came to find out it was the TV he hates it and its the only one i have its same age as he is,,lol
so if not TV how about RADIO try turning them off when he starts his screaming , but increase his sleeping , Mango gets upset if i get him up much befor 15 hrs mind you hes out of cage rest of time . if your guy dosnt play try corn on cob as a toy,, take most of corn off ..lol
funny how silly things work also a babys rattle they like toys that make noise , Boggie loved baby toys second hand stores are great for that
hope i have been able to help a little , cause living in an apt i couldnt have Mango screaming like yours at least not this one,,lol seniors want QUIETTTTTTTTTTTT im told..lol
gl hun god willing you will get peace im sure

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Terri
It sounds to me like he is contact calling you. Have you talked to him while he's doing this? What does he do??

The bellowing Gryphon does is WAY deeper and louder. He almost sounds like a possessed crow cawing. I'll try to catch him on video for you to hear. He doesn't do it often so will be hard to catch.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Firstly this is a natural thing for your bird to do, mostly both ends of the day in the wild. The fact he has done it for so long it is now a habit that should be broken if possible.
As your bird is in need of a lot of sleep on a regular basis, as they do in the wild it makes sense to put his cage somewhere very quiet at night and cover him on a regular basis with some kind of cover that does not let any light in.
My five all different species are covered at 7.30pm each night after being put in a far room away from noise of people and TV etc. They do not make another sound until they are uncovered at about 8am next morning. Then we have the contact calling and mayhem! This does not last and once their breakfast is served peace reigns once more until the evening when the contact calling can start up again.
We have plenty of other noise all day long though! Mainly talking and holding conversations or insisting on having something done that I have to down tools and get done as it is the most important thing going (to them!)
would not have it any other way though. Good luck and bless you for being so patient and trying, he is one lucky bird to have you but you do tend to get so fond of them don't you? :hug8:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am going to give you my honest opinion on possibly changing his night time sleep area. Do you have a spare bedroom where his cage can go at night when you are staying up and doing things?

I have two cages for my Zons. One in our great room and one in our spare bedroom. When Kazoo decides to start shrieking and going bonkers at night, I take the two of them and put them in his room. I close the door and happily they do their thing until it subsides. Some nights Kazoo goes back into his cage, the other one falls asleep on his favorite person his Daddy.

That would surely give you that break that you need. I have a few other suggestions too. His cage is in a corner, is there any place that it can be nearer to a window so he can see the natural light and be able to see the natural light subside near sunset? That would give him the sense that it's time to naturally roost for the night, they usually become sleeping angels by the time the day is over.

One other thing, Amazons, Greys and others are great mimickers of sounds. My little Red Lored can copy me sipping coffee if I take a good swig :rofl: He can also imitate water trickling, and of course they have picked up my direct connect on my phone good old Nextel beep of all things!

So I will suggest possibly some interactive toys. The babble ball, the cell phone, something that he can play with. Possibly something to give him new sounds to explore other than the public works truck back up warning sound he's making now.

He's cute, that would be a tad annoying but nothing to make me come out of my skin. :hehe:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
:huh: I don't consider that bellowing, annoying maybe, but nothing hostile or aggressive, he's just making the noises he knows how to make and asking you "Hey whatcha dooin over there?" This is when you call back to him and talk and have a conversation. And has already been mentioned several times, he really needs to have a quiet dark area to sleep in away from the main room.

Ginger

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I dont have access to youtube where I am at the moment :( Can someone tell me if it's anything like Danny in one of my vids? The "talking, and screaming, in the shower' one I have of him here - http://www.youtube.com/user/ndoboi

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Terri you know I'm not a Zon person but a TOO person and I'm here to tell you that is nothing compared to what Nelly can do. That said I am not minimizing your issues but I have heard the Zons at the sanctuary even louder.
It sounds to me like Wasabi starts out softly(almost sounds like a teil whistle) and when he doesn't get a reaction gets louder looking for a reaction. Maybe he just wants to be acknowledged.
When Nelly starts "calling" me if I go in another room I just talk to her and let her know I hear her! Sometimes I will take what I'm doing and stand in the doorway(you've seen my house) tell her I'm busy and show her what I'm doing. Often times it works. Also if she is having a particularly"don't leave me alone" day I just get together what I'm doing,preparing vegies,mixing a cake and take it in the living room and do it there.
I think part of the issue is you like me are home all day and our birds get very used to our presence. And even though you think Wasabi doesn't like you there is a certain bond there and he obviously doesn't like it when he can't see you.
REMEMBER he came to you with baggage. Baggage that you will never know what it is. Maybe there are things you won't be able to change but just have to deal with. You are stressing and that means he is stressing.

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
I dont have access to youtube where I am at the moment :( Can someone tell me if it's anything like Danny in one of my vids? The "talking, and screaming, in the shower' one I have of him here - http://www.youtube.com/user/ndoboi
Steve I can't hear sound on the clip. but Wasabi's sounds just like someone mentioned a truck backing up, the beep beep beep beep in a high pitch. It's not the normal play sounds of the zon.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Maybe it's normal for him. IMO, he doesn't sound stressed or mad or anxious, or hostile, not even demanding. It's not even a natural bird noise, it's noises he learned somewhere. Somebody needs to post a video of a loud PO'd angry bird so you can see the difference.

I can see where it would get grating though. I would choose something you want to hear, like maybe whisle or a song and respond back at him with that phrase. He's smart and would probably learn it.

Ginger

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Steve I can't hear sound on the clip. but Wasabi's sounds just like someone mentioned a truck backing up, the beep beep beep beep in a high pitch. It's not the normal play sounds of the zon.
Mine don't make loud chirps like that. They can whistle, some very hight pitched but nothing like he is doing that is typical Zon babble if you can call it that. His sound he makes is a learned mimick of something. If you watch Amazons as I have with mine they pick up they craziest sounds.

It really does sound like the city work trucks with their back up warning alarm.

That isn't a typical sound as Robin mentions, it's too repetitive for an Amazons array of sounds they can mimick.

I am willing to bet he knows that he's got you right where he wants you. I'd stimulate his sound with others, perhaps a sing along, maybe a record for him of tunes that he can learn and copy?

Sometimes good reinforcement of something we don't like can change it.

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
I dont have access to youtube where I am at the moment :( Can someone tell me if it's anything like Danny in one of my vids? The "talking, and screaming, in the shower' one I have of him here - YouTube - ndoboi's Channel
Steve that is very similar to what Gryphon does when he's bellowing, only deeper sounding.
Danny is way too cute chattering!!!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I think Jasper has Wasabi beat without half trying. :) That said, any repetitive, attention seeking behavior can definitely grate on your nerves and make you want to pull your hair out if it goes on long enough. Same methods to try to reduce "it" no matter what noise "it" is exactly.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I once heard a South American Bell Bird at the National Aquarium rainforest exhibit. That call sounds like a hammer hitting an anvil and is quite sharp and very piercing. Pedro was wild caught. When he first made this call you call 'bellowing' I thought maybe he heard and was mimicing a bell bird. Later I learned it was a normal and irritating noise they use for getting attention. At first I encouraged it, because I really liked the sound. Then he became excessive and starting giving me a headache with it. So, I tried the 'ignore it' technique which did nothing for my headache. One day I was frustrated and went over to the cage while he was yelling and started whispering to him "Why do you do this?" It took him a minute or two to realize I was saying something because he was making so much noise; but eventually he stopped and came over to hear what I was saying: which meant he stopped yelling! :dance4: When he came over to me, I said "Hello, Pedro. Why are you yelling?" I touched his feet and gave him a treat because he was quiet and went back to what I was doing. He didn't start up again that day, so I I finally decided it was a contact call. That is why I wait for a lull in the yelling and then say "Hello, Pedro". As I said, he usually stops yelling.

When Pedro is really being a sh*t and making a punishing noise, it sounds like a high pitched war cry and the volume is run-for-your-life loud. If I am outside I can actually hear him out at my driveway, fifty feet from the house (all the doors and windows closed).

Terri, you are a very dedicated parront and I hope you can find a way of living with Wasabi. I know it can be difficult; I have Pedro!

Status
Not open for further replies.