• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!!! How can I help my adolescent parrot be less aggressive?

lildroptop

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a male caique that's about to pass the 2 year mark, and he started exhibiting more hormonal behavior (doing poses while moving slowly etc.). He doesn't seem to want to mate with a particular person in my family, he is more fond of me than anyone else in some aspects however the person he's least aggressive with is my grandpa who doesn't really spend time with him. He always bit a lot though, even when he was younger, but it wasn't necessarily aggressive just roughly playful, when put in his cage or trying to get his way. The only times he got aggressive was with people he didn't know/didn't grow up with.

I guess his love for biting has been annoying but acceptable, however something changed recently. My grandma was his main caretaker when I wasn't home, until recently where she can't really be with him when he's outside the cage anymore because he just straight up assaults her. But it's not the vicious attack that he did on strangers, he was acting familiar, yet when he bit or attacked her it wasn't just playful, and to the point where she was bleeding/the skin was peeled off. One time he even chewed on it. We do a lot of things to try to keep him in place like putting him on the floor when he's misbehaving, being more gentle with him, giving him less light, not letting him be higher than our heads, putting things he's scared/unfond of in front of him etc. But he clearly gets aggressive when my grandma gets close to his cage. First his target was her hand, and then he progressed to just bite wherever.

I mimic his speech and very often whistle his sounds, and also speaking his microwave language since he is fond of the beeping. I'm the only one who does this, and since my grandma doesn't, even though she does play with him, gives him food/toys, can he see her as competition? When I told her to whistle and click her tongue to him while he was in his cage like I did, my bird did seem to lose the aggressive attitude, just sit there without moving and rasped his beak which is generally a sign of comfort. What can I do to make him not aggressive towards my grandma as she is the one who lets him out and brings him food/ bathes him when I'm not home? She is very frustrated with his behavior and bled several times because of his bites. Before, he used to treat us similarly, sometimes sweet, sometimes rough, most times annoying, but never like this. He's pretty much the same as he's been with me.

I really need help with this, thanks.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew