• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Hormonal aggressive conures

Ginnip

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Hello. I'm unfortunately really struggling with my painted conure Griffin, who is 8, and my crimson bellied conure Pandora who is almost 5. I've had them both since they were babies, and since I brought Pandora home, the two birds have been good friends. I eventually caged them together a few years ago, and they have had zero issues together.

Pandora recently started to lay eggs for the first time this year, and this started a whole myriad of problems. Griffin usually gets very hormonal every winter/spring, and I do everything I can to reduce those urges. His hormonal urges are usually directed at me, as he sees me as his mate. But now that Pandora has laid eggs, his daddy instincts are kicking in, and he is determined to be near her 24/7 and sit next to her and help her tend to the eggs. So unfortunately, Pandora laid her eggs in a large round chair that I have. I know I cannot remove the eggs, as she will may more- she's up to 4 with a 5th on the way. So I was letting her sit on the chair with the eggs and Griffin was sitting with her. I would move the eggs into their cage at night, but she almost didn't recognize that they were her eggs, and she would just fly back to the chair in the morning.

The two of them were doing their nesty thing until they started to fight a few days ago in the nest. I've seen them play fight, and I wasn't sure how "real" this fighting was. I broke them up a few times. It did look different from the type of fighting they've done before. They would grab each other by the feet and roll around and flap their wings. Now I know that this is incredibly aggressive fighting, and I regret not separating them sooner. Yesterday Griffin started to attack Pandora, and I could tell that this was vicious fighting. I physically got in between the two and pulled them apart. Pandora was severely hurt and was bleeding from her foot and later on I found out she was bleeding from her head as well. Took her to an emergency avian vet and they treated her and gave her meds. They weren't that concerned about her wounds, but I am absolutely devastated that my babies got into a fight and one of them got hurt.

I am beside myself and so distraught. I now have them separated and won't put them back together. I am wondering if they can even ever be out together again. Griffin gets very hormonal every spring, and when he does, he can get vicious for months on end. Previously he was vicious towards my ex, and it didn't end until my ex left the home. He had a few calm years, and now that Pandora has laid eggs, he wants to murder her. I'm not sure where to go from here. My avian vet suggested clipping both their wings and giving them Lupron shots, but this has never done anything for Griffin in the past. When he gets like this, he is a ball of cute little feathered fury. If anyone has any suggestions, please share. I'm contemplating keeping one of them at my parent's for a week or two for now, but I have no long term plan. Thanks in advance!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I'm no expert but a similar thing is happening to me. My parrotlets got bonded the moment they laid eyes on each other. Diablo did the weird neck dance to Carmen. She did it back and they fed each other, cuddled together, and you sometimes shouldn't tell they were actually two birds.

Now Diablo is hormonal. He is attacking Carmen like a madman. Carmen tries to appease him by doing this weird dance. The minute I saw them fighting and falling to the floor of their cage, I separated them. Diablo got to sleep in the deluxe double wide but short extra cage we have and he sleeps in another room.

I know as far as parrotlets go, they can kill each other during this time and I'm not for that. I've been extending their sleep hours, no nests objects, everything, changed the room around completely. Hormones will win out and I'm tired. Separation makes them sad but it gives me the peace of mind that they are alive.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can you figure out what the triggers are to them being hormonal and remove them?

Is there anything they can do besides being hormonal? Such as learning new behaviors?

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
He's usually super docile and sweet. Carmen normally rules the roost and he does what she says. Until about a week ago that is. Then I noticed the fighting sounds and went in to see them both on the floor. They were both able to fly back up (Carmen is finally flying!!). I thought it strange but then birds do land on the ground sometimes, especially the little ones. Now I've seen it enough times where I have to separate them. Each in a separate flight cage until I can let the other out. They take turns but if I don't allow them to sleep in the same cage, no one in this whole house will sleep. So they sleep in the same cage, and when I walk in to change their water, give food, clean they are doing the same thing. They fight and do that. Over and over.

Ginnip

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Thank you for the responses!

Right now I’m about to go on a planned vacation, so the two are separated- Pandora is staying with a friend and Griffin is with my parents, and he loves them. I’m hoping the time apart will be helpful.

When they come back, I’m going to restrict their access to any nesting sites. I have removed the chair they like to nest in, and I am going to restrict access to under the couch.

I used to clicker train Pandora. I could start trick training them again if it would help to get their minds off of wanting to mate. My vet is also planning on giving them lupron shots when I return, but I’m not counting on that alone to help.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There may be something else that could be triggering the nesting behaviors.

Clicker training may indeed help.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
When do you notice this fighting? Do they do it when you are not around or just when they see you? I know this sound strange but some birds will actually become so possessive of their mate at breeding time that anyone entering their area is considered an intruder. He may be attacking her as if to say "you are mine and don't look at the others!"' So you become the other, that he does not want her to looking at. I have a pair of breeding Quakers that when the want to nest the female is quite vicious to him when I service the cage, once I leave the bickering stops.