• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent [Help/Help others]

KiwiQuaker

Moving in
My Pet Conure Penelope passed away last Thursday due to unknown reasons. She had just turned 2, Emergency Vet said she wasn't gonna make it through the night. I got her able to stand and open her eyes at the vet with oxygen and vitamin injections. She had a 30% chance of living through the night. This is without treatment, I took the risk to take her to another emergency vet that could start treatments that night. She passed away right before getting ready for transport. Vet said she was too young for any brain tumors, and she was on on pain medication for an injured foot. So I didn't pay much attention to how drowsy she had been in the past week and the discolor of her droppings. I didn't notice the signs. Just thought it was her way of resting and healing.

I took a video of her for the vet before I took her and they don't know what was wrong with her, was wondering if anyone had a similar experience with a bird and might know so I can get closure on her.
**Message me to video the video if you would like to try and help me figure out what happened to my baby**

Here's some info:2 Year old Green Cheek Conure
Fully Vaccinated
Had a metal anklet removed and swelling above claw which is why she was on pain medicine she wasn't moving as much around the cage and I had thought she had an injured leg.

She had also flown into a wall randomly while me and my gf were sitting down eating foot watching tv. She flew right over us hit her head and fell into my lap, was unconscious for about 2 minutes and got right back up and flew back to her cage.

Of course it was concerning that's why she had her initial vet visit, but they shrugged it off and said she looked fine but should come back after ankle was healing to be sedated and get an MRI on her head. She never made it to that vet visit for the MRI happened too quick. Monday took her in for the foot and head. Pain medicine was supposed to last till Saturday and she would go back next Monday. [Yesterday]

I guess this is a way of saying, if your bird doesn't look like its doing well EVEN if its on strong medication. Take them in. I feel like I waited too long. I didn't know, and now I feel guilty as hell.

No one gets me why I'm so torn up about my pet bird passing away, but she was one of the best pets I've had especially in that short span she was alive.
I've had one bird before her and still have her and I plan on making sure I don't make any more stupid mistakes. I love my birds

KiwiQuaker

Moving in
To add on when she passed she tried flying around the room flapping her wings and flying sideways before coming to a stop and yellow liquid came out of her mouth. I was told this was the sack in her throat.

Also the Vet told me her gums had a lot of discoloration due to lack of oxygen when I first brought her to the emergency Vet and she was breathing extremely heavy.

KiwiQuaker

Moving in
My Pet Conure Penelope passed away last Thursday due to unknown reasons. She had just turned 2, Emergency Vet said she wasn't gonna make it through the night. I got her able to stand and open her eyes at the vet with oxygen and vitamin injections. She had a 30% chance of living through the night. This is without treatment, I took the risk to take her to another emergency vet that could start treatments that night. She passed away right before getting ready for transport. Vet said she was too young for any brain tumors, and she was on on pain medication for an injured foot. So I didn't pay much attention to how drowsy she had been in the past week and the discolor of her droppings. I didn't notice the signs. Just thought it was her way of resting and healing.

I took a video of her for the vet before I took her and they don't know what was wrong with her, was wondering if anyone had a similar experience with a bird and might know so I can get closure on her.
**Message me to video the video if you would like to try and help me figure out what happened to my baby**

Here's some info:2 Year old Green Cheek Conure
Fully Vaccinated
Had a metal anklet removed and swelling above claw which is why she was on pain medicine she wasn't moving as much around the cage and I had thought she had an injured leg.

She had also flown into a wall randomly while me and my gf were sitting down eating foot watching tv. She flew right over us hit her head and fell into my lap, was unconscious for about 2 minutes and got right back up and flew back to her cage.

Of course it was concerning that's why she had her initial vet visit, but they shrugged it off and said she looked fine but should come back after ankle was healing to be sedated and get an MRI on her head. She never made it to that vet visit for the MRI happened too quick. Monday took her in for the foot and head. Pain medicine was supposed to last till Saturday and she would go back next Monday. [Yesterday]

I guess this is a way of saying, if your bird doesn't look like its doing well EVEN if its on strong medication. Take them in. I feel like I waited too long. I didn't know, and now I feel guilty as hell.

No one gets me why I'm so torn up about my pet bird passing away, but she was one of the best pets I've had especially in that short span she was alive.
I've had one bird before her and still have her and I plan on making sure I don't make any more stupid mistakes. I love my birds

Here is the Link for the video

before anyone judges, I was panicking on phone with vet while recording her, I'm trying to comfort her but also not scare her, I'm being extremely gentle her head is just moving very easily with my finger, she had no strength.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm very sorry for your loss. My immediate thought is that the wall collision did more internal damage than was originally suspected. Even wild birds, when they collide with a window and fly off, often die later due to internal injuries. :sadhug2:

KiwiQuaker

Moving in
I'm very sorry for your loss. My immediate thought is that the wall collision did more internal damage than was originally suspected. Even wild birds, when they collide with a window and fly off, often die later due to internal injuries. :sadhug2:
That was my thought to but she had been eating and maneuvering around the cage just fine. just a little slower than usual. Thank you for your input. And Thank you

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I couldn't bring myself to watch a sad video. But I wanted to extend my sympathy. We love our birds so deeply, they are so special and unique. It is hard for non bird people to understand. They do not know how intelligent how individual and how special they are. We here do know. And many of us including myself have lost our very special and amazing babies. It hurts so very much . Our loves deserve to be honored by our grief , it a testimony to how deeply we feel

If your sweet ones accident was enough to leave her unconscious, then it was serious. Kinda like a car crash and head trauma or other for us. Often the brain starts swelling after the accident. Sometimes they are fine , sometimes not. The best thing to do after a collision, is to cage rest them ,and limit their activity. This is to help limit blood pressure, and give time fur any brain swelling to vine down. I think for 48 hrs and re evaluate. Sometimes some vets will give medicine to help swelling.

Tho I can tell you many years ago my first green cheek has a wall collision that knocked her out. I called my vet , and they told me bringing her in might kill her. To rest her and see if she could recover. She did thankfully. But this is just one vets opinion, and just like doctors for us , there are different ways and methods, some vets may have you bring them in and out them in the oxygen and warmth. I think both or other options are probably equal.

The biggest take away for you and others , because this happens, is to limit activity. Even if they seem fine . Just like has been recommended to myself after my own head trauma. ( thrown from a horse, and another time a skip and fall that next ne unconscious...

I also had a Budgie in a cage startled and hit his head , making him wobbly but not unconscious. I left him caged and quiet. But he did not recover fully. He developed seizures, and after a couple of weeks passed. So even our best efforts, the outcome is not know.

It could of course be that something else was going on. We can't ever really know. Perhaps the keg infection or combination.

We do the very best we can .

I recently lost my Penny to a very tragic accident that was 100% me . It was horrible, I hate that it happened, I can't ever forget how aweful. But I do my best to remember how much I loved her . How much love I showed her every day . How much love she showed me . Even in her very last moments she showed me love and forgiveness. It's so hard even to write and share that . And has me sobbing again over my sweet sweet Penny. But I'm telling myself again, we shared joy and love , I did my very best to make her life good.

I'm sure because you are here sharing your pain , that you did your very very best , you showed love , you shared love

KiwiQuaker

Moving in
I couldn't bring myself to watch a sad video. But I wanted to extend my sympathy. We love our birds so deeply, they are so special and unique. It is hard for non bird people to understand. They do not know how intelligent how individual and how special they are. We here do know. And many of us including myself have lost our very special and amazing babies. It hurts so very much . Our loves deserve to be honored by our grief , it a testimony to how deeply we feel

If your sweet ones accident was enough to leave her unconscious, then it was serious. Kinda like a car crash and head trauma or other for us. Often the brain starts swelling after the accident. Sometimes they are fine , sometimes not. The best thing to do after a collision, is to cage rest them ,and limit their activity. This is to help limit blood pressure, and give time fur any brain swelling to vine down. I think for 48 hrs and re evaluate. Sometimes some vets will give medicine to help swelling.

Tho I can tell you many years ago my first green cheek has a wall collision that knocked her out. I called my vet , and they told me bringing her in might kill her. To rest her and see if she could recover. She did thankfully. But this is just one vets opinion, and just like doctors for us , there are different ways and methods, some vets may have you bring them in and out them in the oxygen and warmth. I think both or other options are probably equal.

The biggest take away for you and others , because this happens, is to limit activity. Even if they seem fine . Just like has been recommended to myself after my own head trauma. ( thrown from a horse, and another time a skip and fall that next ne unconscious...

I also had a Budgie in a cage startled and hit his head , making him wobbly but not unconscious. I left him caged and quiet. But he did not recover fully. He developed seizures, and after a couple of weeks passed. So even our best efforts, the outcome is not know.

It could of course be that something else was going on. We can't ever really know. Perhaps the keg infection or combination.

We do the very best we can .

I recently lost my Penny to a very tragic accident that was 100% me . It was horrible, I hate that it happened, I can't ever forget how awful. But I do my best to remember how much I loved her . How much love I showed her every day . How much love she showed me . Even in her very last moments she showed me love and forgiveness. It's so hard even to write and share that . And has me sobbing again over my sweet sweet Penny. But I'm telling myself again, we shared joy and love , I did my very best to make her life good.

I'm sure because you are here sharing your pain , that you did your very very best , you showed love , you shared love
Thank you so much for your kind words, I understand if you couldn't have watched the video. My sweet baby was also named Penny. Penelope for her full name, when I told the Vet she had hit her head they gave her the injections, I think it was the stress of 4 vet techs holding her and giving her medicine that pushed her to the end. She was fine in the oxygen chamber with a warm bean. Standing and eyes open. I asked the vet if I could take the oxygen tank to transfer her to the other hospital and they had agreed, however. When it was time for me to get her in the cage they didn't want me to take the tank almost saying "it wasn't needed" after saying her gums are discolored due to no oxygen.

Penny had been in a cat carrier with no perches, just towels, water and food and lighting, resting on top of my main cage so the other birds could see her and she could see them[didn't want her to be lonely for the week]She was resting plenty, honestly think the emergency vet could have handled the situation more gentle instead of trying to get a picture of my baby who was in critical condition. Just because she was "pretty" But that's just my opinion.

Now I'm Just struggling to get my Quaker parrot out of her depression shell after she lost her best friend.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am really so very sorry for your loss, it is always difficult loosing a pet but when you are not exactly sure why I think it makes it a tad harder. Pity the vet didn't offer you a necropsy but then again they are not always as telling as we might hope.

Head injuries are really extremely tricky and some birds recover given time in the right environment with the right care but more often than not with the birds I have seen suffer head injuries they do not make it even given everything they need to recover.

Going by what I saw on the video I think you will find there is a huge chance your baby was on its way out or going downhill fast then- that footage shows a seriously unwell bird and something I have seen many times with wild birds who smash into windows, it is usually not too long after witnessing the same kind of behaviour shown in that video that I have seen them pass on which is always hard to see in birds.

Not that it helps or anything but can I ask what vaccinations your bird had and what kind of vet you saw? There are just a few things mentioned by the vet that confuse me a tad and I have never heard my vets say anything along the lines of - things like the mention of gums and their colour- as birds have no teeth they do not have gums but this is a common thing to check on dogs and cats for an indication of current health. The vaccination part is also interesting to me as there are very very few vaccinations available for pet birds so it is quite rare to hear of them being vaccinated unless they are a farm bird for eggs (here where I am that is the only kind of birds who are really ever vaccinated)

KiwiQuaker

Moving in
I am really so very sorry for your loss, it is always difficult loosing a pet but when you are not exactly sure why I think it makes it a tad harder. Pity the vet didn't offer you a necropsy but then again they are not always as telling as we might hope.

Head injuries are really extremely tricky and some birds recover given time in the right environment with the right care but more often than not with the birds I have seen suffer head injuries they do not make it even given everything they need to recover.

Going by what I saw on the video I think you will find there is a huge chance your baby was on its way out or going downhill fast then- that footage shows a seriously unwell bird and something I have seen many times with wild birds who smash into windows, it is usually not too long after witnessing the same kind of behaviour shown in that video that I have seen them pass on which is always hard to see in birds.

Not that it helps or anything but can I ask what vaccinations your bird had and what kind of vet you saw? There are just a few things mentioned by the vet that confuse me a tad and I have never heard my vets say anything along the lines of - things like the mention of gums and their colour- as birds have no teeth they do not have gums but this is a common thing to check on dogs and cats for an indication of current health. The vaccination part is also interesting to me as there are very very few vaccinations available for pet birds so it is quite rare to hear of them being vaccinated unless they are a farm bird for eggs (here where I am that is the only kind of birds who are really ever vaccinated)
Whatever Petco's vaccination list is; Avian Polyomavirus

as of the gums idk either it was the first I've heard of it and after the 1.2k vet bill I didn't wanna spend the other $300 on necropsy. As I was crying my eyes out and just wanted to take my baby home and bury her.
You being in Australia might change a few of my responses as differences in the way vets handle things. Im from [USA]