• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Distressing conure behavior

Laurah

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
This morning I broke up a conure fight! They can be so moody. All I did was slowly put a plastic spatula between them and they stopped. Just the site of it they didn't like. I wish dog fights were that easy....

Beakytiki

Moving in
Real Name
Ashley
This morning I broke up a conure fight! They can be so moody. All I did was slowly put a plastic spatula between them and they stopped. Just the site of it they didn't like. I wish dog fights were that easy....
Haha I hear that, I work at a dog kennel, if only it was that easy!

And yea I'm really thinking it's hormonal at this point

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
I'm not the best photographer but....my female bit me this morning :-( look at the perfect little beak mark. I can't imagine the bigger bird owners bite scars out there...

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
She has been very moody lately. And twerks on everything! She is not interested in my male at all.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
You are so lucky, Kiki, Senegal is the closest of my birds in size to a GCC and if she had bitten me there would have been a beak sized hole where she had removed the flesh and eaten it. I am so lucky as she rarely bites me like this any more. They are as moody as any human ever but they are honest about it and never ambiguous about it, they are very direct and to the point.

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Yep the evil moody creatures are on my shoulders and one bit me. A few minutes later....he's fine.

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
Hi,
I just wanted to share this article
http://www.behaviorworks.org/files/articles/ABCs of Behavior 2004.pdf
I've found it really helpful to use ABCs with my birds.

Also, I noticed on your original post that you said he is not very keen on being petted and he nipped you after you came home and petted him. Do you pet him often when he is in his cage or in general?

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
My birds don't mind being pet when they want to. Usually outside their cage. :)

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Sorry I was directing my question at the original poster.

Beakytiki

Moving in
Real Name
Ashley
Thanks for sharing that article I'm going to check it out right now. And no we don't usually pet him on his cage just when he's out. Since he doesn't seem to like it much we (well my husband) don't do it too often.
I haven't updated In a while but unfortunately things are about the same. But I'm not giving up! I still interact with him as much as I can. If I need him to step up for any reason I use my sleeve. Often he'll try to bite me through the sleeve but I ignore it.
He still flies over to my head often, and I'll let him, but sometimes, especially if I'm eating, he'll go down to my shoulder and go after my face... In which case I'll put him back on his cage.
I miss having a bird who likes me:arghh: I'm just hoping and praying it's some sort of phase....

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
I'm sure you can get back on track with him. There are a lot of really good articles on the website I linked so do some browsing on there.

Do you reward him when he steps up?
Target training can be a good way to bond, interact positively and give you another strategy to move him around. You can also use target training to teach him to step up on a stick.

Personally I'm a big fan of avoiding, not ignoring bites.

Debby S

Meeting neighbors
I have a hardwood perch that I removed from a cage that i use to break up fights. i leave them to fight it out when it is just simple beaking and one backs down quicky. if it gets too aggressive or they fight on me i just stick the perch between them and they back off. I would rather avoid the chance of a bite when two birds are mad....lol

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
I think that birds do hold grudges - or at least they do remember a single bad experience and it takes a long time to recover from it.
Our GCC Rio started displaying hormonal behaviors and molting shortly after we got her, including biting and being a general terror. I DO give her space in the morning. She is a crabby waker upper. I let her come out when she is ready.
We started doing to behavior modification when she was very bitey and mostly it has subsided. I did a great deal of training with seeds. Step up, step down, Kissy, Dance, Come. She learned to do all of these things as part of our no-bite therapy.

She is still a nippy bird - for example she will nip me to inform me she needs to poop before I pick her up if I try and pick her up when she might need to poop. I have come to view her biting as communication MOSTLY, but she does nip Popper and other family members when she is annoyed. No bite has ever broken the skin but some don't feel so good. Her preening is the worst.

Debby S

Meeting neighbors
My Red Belly Gaugan, can certainly hold a grudge for a while, but never with me. My Meyers does not seem to ever hold grudges, he just keeps trying to do what he wants and he rarely gets to perturbed about things. Instead of looking jealous, he tends to look like, "why am I not included?" My daughters Meyers does hold a grudge, sometimes for up to two days. So they certainly can hold grudges.....at least in the Poi world.