• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP Baby Quaker parrot please

Ronny espinal

Moving in
So i have a baby quaker parrot and is less than 2 or 3 months I am currently feeding her with formula 3 times a day but the issue is if its normal for her to walk weird maybe cause she is a baby and she is scared of me but my question is can I handle her and give her lots of attention or do i limit myself to just feeding her and cleaning her cage ( By the way it is her second day in my house)
answer me soon please

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Give her lots love and attention. She's still a baby, so her walking will look strange.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I don't know about hand feedi g and parrots that young. @melissasparrots in a breeder so would have more general knowledge about handling them.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
What do you mean by walking weird? Splayed legs is a common issue in baby birds that requires correction asap if that's what's happening. Can you post a picture or video?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Have you taken her to the vet to make sure her legs aren't splayed? We can't advise you - it would be irresponsible with no video etc for the experts on the forum to examine. Do you have an avian vet?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In addition to a vet visit, you may also want to contact the breeder or wherever you acquired her from to touch bases with them.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Babies are clumsy, but healthy babies don't walk "funny." Get your bird to an avian vet as others have suggested. Good luck!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I second the video or at least a few good pictures. There is a big difference between 8 weeks old and 12 weeks old. Quakers are prone to splay legs. If its approaching 8 weeks old and not walking right then you need a vet check. Its been a few years since I raised quakers but it seems like they are usually flying which also means walking pretty well by 8 weeks and probably closer to 6 weeks. By 12 weeks most are weaned and very well coordinated. If the baby is fully feathered, then you can handle it. Since your bird is still weaning, I would be doing a couple half hour play and cuddle times ever day and a quick scratch or cuddle as you walk by the cage a few times a day. Babies that are weaning should also spend that time learning how to eat without having a person staring at them or even being in the same room all the time and learning to independently play with toys. Its all about balance with babies. They need snuggles and reassurance and love, but they need to have space to follow their instincts and grow up too.
Regarding the walking, when in doubt, go to the vet. Its always good policy to take a new bird to the vet withing 3 days of bringing it home anyway.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I wouldn't call those splayed legs. It looks like your baby might have an injured foot or leg from the way he/she is moving. Your little one looks more like it is limping when it walks. Just MHO since I have a Quaker with splayed legs and have had birds treated for leg injuries. This photo is not my Quaker.

Splayed legs would look more like this -

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
That looks like an injury to me, not splayed legs. Please have your bird checked out by a vet. In my opinion x-rays are in order to rule out a fracture.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I agree looks like a limp.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could be that the baby had a stress fracture or possibly a failed attempt to fix splayed leg. He needs to be seen by a vet very soon.