• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help about budgie's nail trimming

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
Hi,
I've been looking to see which nail clipper should be great to clip my bird's nails but can't find the good one neither found any bird forum link where a specific nail clipper/trimmer was mentioned so thought to ask you guys if you guys know or can recommend any? Which nail clipper/trimmer would you recommend to trim budgie's nails at home? My bird's nails are really long and today was their 3rd free flight day and they're doing awesome accept my one of my female budgie nails get stuck in our clothes so I wanted to trim their nails as they're long enough to trim. I've seen people on youtube clipping/trimming budgie's nails with regular human nail clipper but I also have read online that those can crack or shutter their nails badly so please help!! Also what product/thing can I use to trim their beak like only to clip their very tip of their beak not too much of beak?
One of my female budgie name Picu :budgie8:crashed on walls while flying but today she did awesome and NO CRASHING on walls while flying as my siblings told me about this and I missed how good she must have felt today but I was at work so I missed watching her flying well and playing with my siblings and mom. :bliss::dancing:
Thank you guys :) Oh and I'll share my budgie's free flight pictures soon. Would you guys be interested in their pictures? :chin::angel2: :budgie::budgie7::budgie8::budgie2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Their nails are so small so I take my birds to my avian vets office. The techs do the trim and it lasts about 3 to 4 months. Only charge $10. Per bird.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
When you clip a bird's nails, you need to be extreemely careful not to cut into the quick, which is the blood supply to the birds feet and nails. You should be able to see the quick through your budgie's nails, so have a good look before you start trimming. If you're not confident then please take them to a vet for a quick trim. Like Lady Jane said, it's inexpensive and a fast for them to do.

If you do end up doing it yourself, a pair of new and sharp human nail clippers will do the trick. (Make sure they are sharp though! If they aren't, that's when you will run into issues) And you'll want to hold your bird gently but firmly in a towel so you don't get chewed to death. LOL.

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
Well the vet I take them to is an hour away plus there's lots of road work in plano, tx going on so it takes little more time than usual if you add that and more traffic jam these days so I wanted to do it myself. Also around 10:00 am its 90++ degrees out there so I don't want to take them to vet just for this reason because of too much heat and they only take bird appointments till 12:00 pm.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you are trying to trim the nails yourself just be aware the budgies will fight you the entire time and can curl the toes up so it is very difficult for one person to do.

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
One of my siblings will hold our birds and I'll trim their nails. Which one should I get from this site? Grooming Tools for Birds or bird nail clipper from Petco? Sorry not able to post link from petco site as its under update and not opening yet but if you know what I'm talking about. Thanks

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I just use a small human nail trimmer. Have some corn starch on hand in case of bleeding. Begin by just trimming the sharp tip of the nail. Birds will wiggle like crazy so be sure you know how to hold the budgie correctly. Good luck!