• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

LaraHarris

Checking out the neighborhood
Post pics of the fox!! I can't imagine some of the adorable photos you must have! ;)

Fostering parrots is a bit of a debate in the rescue community. Some shelters that do not have a large facility of the ability to house a large number of birds, so they use foster homes out of necessity.

At AHW, we do not really do 'foster homes', the only birds that are 'fostered' - a bird that really fails to settle at the shelter or is severely stressed by the environment, a species illegal to the State of NJ (our Quakers all go to a shelter friend in CT after vetting, quarantine and disease testing), and every once in a while a bird that just seems to need a little quiet one on one time to increase their odds of adoption. Our logic for not sending birds to foster homes is because a parrot will settle into a foster home and then when its time to return to the shelter or be adopted, its like they are losing another home, so it is often another stressful event. Also, we have adopters out almost every Saturday, so having all the birds at the shelter and ready to meet adopters works with our logic of the bird picks their person! If I am fostering a bird in PA an hour away, that bird will miss meeting potential adopters on any given Saturday.

Our process is multiple visits to work with the bird, we are huge on hands on education and experience. The multi visits helps adopters and bird to start the foundation for going on and greatly increases the success rate! There have been birds and adopters that have concerns, either a bird that we know acts differently in a home environment (good or bad), or someone who is new to birds and not sure if having a bird in the home will really work for them - much like meeting the person you want to marry or spend your life with - never know until you live with them who things might work out! We will sometimes do weekend trials, but only after the multi visits....

Sorry lots of babble... fostering is a double edge sword... for a parrot in need, it provides a safe haven that might not otherwise be available in a rescue already too full. But then there is the problem if the parrot believes they are home and settles / bonds to the family 'flock' but the person decides that the bird is too loud, takes more time, etc and the bird goes thru another change. Again, its a double edge sword, good and bad... I have fostered many of the small monster birds that need work or help, and its a fine line to work with a parrot, but not develop a connection. For truly fostering, I can't treat a bird like they are 'mine' with the same time, attention and affection, its confusing for the bird. And can be heartbreaking for the person when its time for a bird to leave when ready to meet adopters...

Not sure my answer helps at all... just sharing some of my experience with fostering...

Let us know how a visit to the local shelter / rescue goes!!
Thanks for the information, that does make a lot of sense! Multiple visits do seem to be better for everyone all around. Do most adult birds bond well? I have had a lot of experience with rehomed animals that take years to get to the point where they trust me enough to let me pet them, including Zorr, as I got him much later than advised. I am not adverse to spending a lot of time working with a bird to get it comfortable, even if it takes a year. I know that whether I got a young bird or an older one it would take time, but I was wondering if any of you have run into long term problems.

Here's a few pictures of Zorr! I had to rehome him last year when we moved to arizona because of health problems. I miss him, but he is in a good home.
DSC_0855.JPG DSC_0821.JPG DSC_0848.JPG DSC_0851.JPG

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
every bird is unique on trust it helps if the bird chooses you that is how i got Percy at 14 years old he preferred men i was the only woman that he has ever liked