• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hello......Weird Poo

Griffin's Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Griffin's Mom
My 10 month old Male Green Cheek has been to the vet a couple times now for his poo. I know it sounds gross but it looks like firm green strings with clear urine. The only thing the vet can find in a low amount of good gut bacteria which we have corrected by using a Bene Bac syringe of probiotics, and changing his diet to very low amount of (dr. Harvey's) seed to (Harrison's) pellets and fresh fruit and veggies every day. Now that being said, he is high energy, loves cuddles and singing, gets the right amount of sun and quite time, he's gained weight and LOVES carrots. BUT he still has a good production of long green string poo with clear urine.....this drives us crazy. Has any one else's birdie been through this or is this just something he'll grow out of, or should I watch his carefully, or is he just a goofball bird who wants to march to the beat of his own drum and do things way different.

And suggestions, comments, of advice is appreciated.

Attachments

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
He is beautiful! sorry I don't have any advice on that. I'm still working on how to get miss rebel through her big molt. I hope someone can give you some advise soon!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Welcome to the forum!
Is there white chalking looking stuff with his poop? Can you post a pic of it?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Happy you joined us. Have you checked in his cage to be sure there is no fibrous material of any kind?

Griffin's Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Griffin's Mom
yep, nothing in there that could cause a problem. I got a photo of his poo, he decided my fuzzy blanket was his target. His urine is typically clear or very lite yellow. No white stuff or anything. 20161104_205520.jpg

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have a few that have those at times...bloodwork for kidney values okay?

Griffin's Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Griffin's Mom
yea, all tested fine, however i have noticed that occasionally that his urine will look kinda glittery after it has dried in the cage. To me (diabetes runs in my family) it looked similar to sugar being passed through the kidneys, even though his sugar levels were normal. Im thinking of going to a new vet and getting another opinion.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:welave: Do you have the family history from his Parents?

Griffin's Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Griffin's Mom
no, he was purchased at Petco. He was pooping normal when we bought him in March then the middle of June it all changed. He had extreme watery diarhea which was nothing but grainy water, since the vet trips his poo is firmed up to strings and his urine is water. He acts like nothing is wrong. This has been going on for 4 months with his feces and urine this way. I make sure he and my other bird (Sun Conure) have a great diet of grains, fruit, seed, veggies and protein. He has gained about 3 oz over the past couple months, which his weight gain has now leveled off. He is aboit to go through his first molt and has about 75% of his flights back which he only uses to seek me out in the house. lol.....He appears to be very healthy other than the poo, the dr is stumped and so are we. This silly little guy has a tally of around $1500 in vet bills since June. I'm beginning to think he just wants me to take him on car rides.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don't see anything wrong with that poo. It's supposed to be well formed. If it "wasn't" then there might be reason to worry.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
My green cheeks poo changes a lot depending on what he ate last. Blueberries apples and corn make a lot of urine with specs of the food he ate colored like the food. His pellet poo is ablob of white and pellet colored poo. Never seen it come out in a string like that but people have different poo both normal to them and depending on what they ate. If your vets don't find anything maybe it's normal for him. You seem to be doing all you can, just watch for any other signs. Does he drink enough water? Cheekys mom

Griffin's Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Griffin's Mom
he drinks alot of water, and every time he poops out comes about a teaspoon of water with the string shaped poo. Everytime. The poo string gets softer if he eats fruit but its still in the same form/shape. 20161109_195644.jpg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Water in. Water out. Still sounds normal to me. I see it all the time. Tika likes to guzzle hot water from the shower head. He drinks quite a bit. For the next 30 - 40 minutes we have red blooded mobile squirt gun on the loose who shoots every few minutes. :lol:

Griffin's Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Griffin's Mom
lol, well i appreciate everyone making me feel better about Griff. You hear about how your bird's poo is supposed to be green with a white smear of urates(sp) in it and when it doesnt or hasnt looked like that for months you start getting worried that your feathery prince might have long term health effects. I always worry I'm not doing enough, or Im missing something. Griff is my 1st bird, i never had an interest in what I called "flying rats" until I met this goofy, silly, little Green Cheek who looked like he was doing the Moon Walk across the bottom of his enclosure. Then proceeded hang upside down with one leg and the other reached out to me and curling his toes like he was grabbing for me. I was sucked in by him. Now we are inseparable, we chat, have loud discussions, play "dirty birdie" until he wears me out, then take naps together.

Griff is my lil treasure, so you can imagine why the littlest change has me concerned. It is very reassuring to hear that maybe what he's doing is just normal. Thanks for the help and advice, right now he's on a no seed diet....well i might trade him 1 or 2 sunflower seeds a day for kisses.....Im pretty sure that Pheonix (husbands sun conure) gives us the eye roll watching me ans Griff interact.
Here he is at nap time, he comes down from his cage everyday around 1 and wants to snuggle up in my habd for a nap....usually with his feet in the air. For such a little critter he has a HUGE personality. 20161025_132900.jpg

Parrotsrpeeple

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josh
:welave: Griffin reminds you of my baby gcc Griffin who we lost... change in subject, Welcome! Hope you learn lots from the forum!