• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! New bird owner here!

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
Greetings, my small family and I (husband and 10 yr old son) just added a new feathered friend to our family! Our little Bubbles is a Violet Pied (from what I was told by breeder) English Budgie. She was hatched at the end of August, so she is still a chick. We've got her all settled in her nice cage, she was hand-fed so she bonded with her people-flock very quickly. I only work 3 days a week so she has plenty of out of cage time with us (my son or husband when I'm at work), as I am beginning to learn the "budgie debates" can get quite heated regarding a single bird. We are new to having a bird pet, and will only consider a second bird if Bubbles has difficulties. I tried posting on a US English Budgie Facebook group and got eaten alive by "what I was doing wrong" when I asked for feedback and suggestions. I'm here for newbie bird mom help and suggestions from other English Budgie owners!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Welcome! Sorry you had a bad time with the Facebook Mob!

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
Shawna! I just bought some of your wood remnants as foraging toys for Bubbles! She's still kind of scared of them, but I stuffed the holes full of groats, so she'll come around soon I hope.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh hi! :D I was wondering how they went over!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome :) I am sorry you copped grief from the FB group. The members here are lovely and very very helpful so I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I do.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Welcome! I’m happy to say that this board is very open and polite. You are certainly welcome and so is Bubbles!

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
I'm sure that you'll find all about budgies on this site, without having your " head bitten off by the trolls" on fb
Enjoy the site, and fill your head with some of the most important subjects written by knowledgeable people .

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hi there and welcome. I too an EB mom of two. They are great little birds as you have discovered. At first I got only the male, Murphy. He was obviously not happy because all he did was sit on a perch, ate very little and did not play with toys. That went on for about 3 to 4 weeks. I decided to get a second one from the same breeder. It was instant love and all has been good since that day. I even took a video of the first time they met.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
Hi there and welcome. I too an EB mom of two. They are great little birds as you have discovered. At first I got only the male, Murphy. He was obviously not happy because all he did was sit on a perch, ate very little and did not play with toys. That went on for about 3 to 4 weeks. I decided to get a second one from the same breeder. It was instant love and all has been good since that day. I even took a video of the first time they met.

So far she (breeder was pretty sure she’s female, but ??) she eats with gusto, plays with some toys-not all, won’t go near a bath or touch any fresh fruit or veg. She loves her swing, but does tend to spend most of her time on this one manzanita perch I got her. I’ve tried homemade birdy bread, chopped up super fine fresh fruit and veg, no go! The issue with a 2nd bird is we wanted a bird bonded to us first of all, secondly, the breeder doesn’t have any new babies (she’s a hobby breeder), and I’m not sure our cage is big enough for 2-it’s a vision medium. I’d have to do major upgrades, etc...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am not suggestion another budgie so please don't get me wrong. I found that two budgies eat much better than a single one. It becomes sort of a competition to see who gets the most. What one does, the other does in all things. Good luck with her and I wish you well.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome