• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello I’m new to cockatiels pls help me understand this

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
IMG_1848.jpeg Hello guys my name is saaniya and 3 days ago I rescued a cockatiel Lutino basically from a tree he’s very happy bird small age in my opinion
I have pet birds like roosters , red vented bulbul and pigeons it’s my very first time with a cockatiel
So first I googled and found they eat fruits and veggies and millet
Added everything but he love foxtail millet from rest of the things.
his poop was normal first day
But changed today maybe due to just millet??
he’s drinking less not much and in the morningI try to let him drink but he bite me and start eating millet and drink after eating

now he’s pooping like this IMG_1849.jpeg

looks like it’s allmillets the urates is nice white just the fecal matter is changed

I ordered pallets from Amazon showing Monday delivery as well as toys too
Pls need tips for healthy raising and suggestions from experts:)

he’s having clean fresh water we have RO purified water (as the local water isn’t good for human my all birds drink purified water)

Attachments

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hello and welcome!
Your new tiel is very cute.

Cockatiels need a nice stable diet of pellets, and "chop". Millet is considered a treat, which is why your cockatiel is only eating the millet. Millet shouldn't be often provided, as it's not very nutritious.
I'm not too sure about the poop, hopefully another member will be able to provide better insight.
Will this cockatiel be staying with you permanently? Or just for now?

Here is some links to forums about parrot food and chop:

Best of luck :)

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
Hello and welcome!
Your new tiel is very cute.

Cockatiels need a nice stable diet of pellets, and "chop". Millet is considered a treat, which is why your cockatiel is only eating the millet. Millet shouldn't be often provided, as it's not very nutritious.
I'm not too sure about the poop, hopefully another member will be able to provide better insight.
Will this cockatiel be staying with you permanently? Or just for now?

Here is some links to forums about parrot food and chop:

Best of luck :)
Hello thanks for your message
Yes I ordered some pellets from Amazon
They showed arrival by Monday so I need to make him eat something
The thing is he’s an exotic bird and idk how he get trapped in a tree because I’m in New Delhi India and cockatiel isn’t a natural habitat of these birdies must be someone leave him abandoned he looks pretty young
I will note your words and chopped the veggies now can he eat some sweet corn?
Yes I’m going to keep him forever :)

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
The thing is he’s an exotic bird and idk how he get trapped in a tree because I’m in New Delhi India and cockatiel isn’t a natural habitat of these birdies must be someone leave him abandoned he looks pretty young
It's entirely possible s/he is someone's pets who escaped out a door/window by accident. It's something that can happen to even the most careful owners. I really do suggest spending a little effort to see if anyone is missing him/her.

:welcometrain: and good luck caring for the sweetie. Feeding a bird seed mix would be better then just millet:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm not really familiar with that type of millet. Do all the droppings look like that? Cockatiels are granivores so they should get a combination of seeds, pellets and vegetables. It may take awhile to get him to eat pellets if he never had them before. You want to make sure that he is eating and not just give him pellets. Cockatiels will essentially starve themselves if they don't recognize what you're giving them is actually food.

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
It's entirely possible s/he is someone's pets who escaped out a door/window by accident. It's something that can happen to even the most careful owners. I really do suggest spending a little effort to see if anyone is missing him/her.

:welcometrain: and good luck caring for the sweetie. Feeding a bird seed mix would be better then just millet:)
Yes I do registered a complaint in missing pet department hoping for best want to ask where I live is almost 43C temperature other of my pet birds lives indoor with ac on 24c
But our new boi cockateil fluff
Also after eating some seeds he fluff and sleep
Seed eating poop is Light green color with white cap

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
I'm not really familiar with that type of millet. Do all the droppings look like that? Cockatiels are granivores so they should get a combination of seeds, pellets and vegetables. It may take awhile to get him to eat pellets if he never had them before. You want to make sure that he is eating and not just give him pellets. Cockatiels will essentially starve themselves if they don't recognize what you're giving them is actually food.
this I add and order the pallet they are arriving by Monday
Added mango today a mirror

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can see how he does with the mirror. Sometimes it's okay. Sometimes birds get obsessed with it. So you'll have to monitor. My cockatiels also like vegetables like broccoli, cooked sweet potato, zucchini, squash, etc.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful lil guy and welcome to the site :cool:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hiii. Welcome to the forum. I'm in kolkata, so if you need any help just let me know. Your tiel must have escaped from some home. It's good that you have found him. Always there to help.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kangni is ok. I give zupreem to my birds. Our tiels love pellets. They take green beans but not any fruit.
Mirror is not good for them. Please take it out.

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
Hiii. Welcome to the forum. I'm in kolkata, so if you need any help just let me know. Your tiel must have escaped from some home. It's good that you have found him. Always there to help.
Hey thank u glad to find u here
I registered complaint and keeping asking people’s but no response no one come it’s been 9 days
I think he will stay with me now :)

His poop significantly improved since I change his feed to a foxtail millet labelled for just birds . And his pellet (zupreem fruit blend which he didn’t even touched)

now he’s all good except he’s adapting environment of my house I’m verynew to teil I am having manypet birds with me like red vented bulbul male
Two male pigeons (the grey ones)

all are deworm and very healthy

we calling this teil murli he scream if I leave him in room and he hates the AC too
So we need to sit in the heat all day I’m from New Delhi so it’s very hot these days but murli loves to sit in no AC just fan
Otherwise he sleeps a lot and I find his sneezing too from past 2 days

he scratches his nose and now they are redany herb that build immunity
I use to give my pigeons some Moringa leaf for immunity and their regular vitamin

Attachments

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please show us his nares, take a close pic. Murli is very sweet. I think ac won't suit him/her( it's difficult to estimate the gender in tiels). Also, tiels are dusty birds, so ac can get blocked. You can give him tulsi, they're useful for respiratory infections.

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
Please show us his nares, take a close pic. Murli is very sweet. I think ac won't suit him/her( it's difficult to estimate the gender in tiels). Also, tiels are dusty birds, so ac can get blocked. You can give him tulsi, they're useful for respiratory infections.
I wish he let me take a close up lol pics I click from a far zoom he enjoy some bites on my all fingers
As per google I find him male but god knows

he sing with a mirror and those blush on cheeks are darker
He’s a stubborn kid he don’t drink much water I try all sorts of funny things like adding , artificial marbles in bowl but no success I saw him drinking only 2-3 times 2 sips

Attachments

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
Tulsi leaf? Or drops should I bring and how much should I give ?

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's really adorable. It seems he's afraid of your hands, so you have to work on it. You can give him tulsi leaves with branches, tiels love chewing them.
I'm tagging few people who can guide you. Please remember, parrots are different from pigeons and tiels are very very intelligent. We need a lot of patience with them.
@Khizz , @sunnysmom , @rocky'smom , @Alien J

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
He's really adorable. It seems he's afraid of your hands, so you have to work on it. You can give him tulsi leaves with branches, tiels love chewing them.
I'm tagging few people who can guide you. Please remember, parrots are different from pigeons and tiels are very very intelligent. We need a lot of patience with them.
@Khizz , @sunnysmom , @rocky'smom , @Alien J
[/

Cockateil sneezing or what see this he’s doing like that is it sneezing

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Murli is sooo cute! May I make some suggestions. Please change his perch, give him some natural branches as perch. I use neem and guava branches for my flock. Also, he needs some toys to play and chew. You can find in Amazon. You'll find lots of DIY ideas in this forum also.
P. S. I had to watch this video in silent mode as my Amazon gets very excited with tiel sounds :lol: