• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from the Middle of Nowhere

AlphaWolf

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Abdel
Hello everyone,
My name is Abdel. I have a beautiful 8 months old IRN named Aero. I have had him for about a month now and he is my first parrot. Together we are embarking on a long and arduous journey. I'am learning how to properly care for parrots and he is learning how to trust humans again. Here is the story on how Aero chose me and I chose him.

:budgie9: :budgie6: :rfcanary: My Introduction to the Avian World :irnwf: :irnbf:

Since I was born I LOVED animals. My parents thought that it was a stage that I will pass. But at the age of 3 and I was still mad with animals my parent finally realised the love I have for all animals. I had chickens, rabbits, cats and kittens before I even reached the age of 5. My bedtime story used to be a massive encyclopaedia on animals which My mom used to read for me. I used to spend hours looking at pictures of cheetahs, deers, cannibalistic lions ( yes you heard that right :). Then on day my Dad brought one animal that changed my life. 2 budgies: one grey and one lutino. I loved them from deep of my little 6 year old heart. I used to spend hours watching them and from that day I had a passionate love for birds. My next bird was mango, my orange female canary. I loved her like no other, so when she died I was heartbroken. At that age I started researching about birds. I had a book about birds and I used to read it every day. By the time I reached 9 I could regonize any bird by sight. I used to go in the pet shop and name every bird without a mistake. By the age of 10 someone gave us 2 IRNs, a blue one whom we called cocoza and a albino who we called snowball. This was the true start of my extreme love for IRNs. However, to my great despair we had to let them go, we where moving and we couldn't take them with us, so we gave it to a lovely man who was very experienced on birds. 1 year later I decided that I wanted my very own IRN. So there began my researching which took another 4 years before my dream came true.

:irngf: I meet Aero :irn:

I couldn't find a IRN near me and there was a total absence of breeders. I carried on watching about parrots but however in my heart there was something missing. I had a dream. to find a perfect parrot. But that won't happen would it? I made a pact with my dad however, if I prove my responsibility I get to have a small bird. I agreed on a cockatiel, and that was that. So here I'am, 3 months before mu birthday and I as entered the pet shop I was so focused on the cockatiels I didn't notice a little cage.

A cage with 6 indian ring necks.
A cage not big enough for one.
Food and Water all dirty.
One Perch.
All clinging on the cage wall.
Scared out of their feathery little bodies.

My heart was broken. How could anyone do this. I was truly disgusted. I was hesitant. I was not prepared for this. But one look at those inky eyes and I had no choice. I had to end their misery. When I just saw him, i knew. I knew that this was who I was looking for. A bird who needs help. And I bought him. I bought for him a cage 3 times bigger than the old one. I'am saving up for a even bigger cage. And from then onward my Avian Adventures began. Of an aeronaut and a stranded pilot.

:irngf: Aero and Abdel :irn:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome and enjoy the site!

Matt

newatthistx

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Michele
:hello: Abdel.....Welcome to the Avenue.....you'll find lots of great info here on how to take care of your baby......

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Welcome!! and hint, we love pictures!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Aero and Abdel we are very happy to have you as a member here. You sound very mature and willing to do a huge commitment with this bird You will have many life changes (school, college, marriage and so on) which I hope do not interfere with your bond with Aero. Have you studied nutritional needs, socialization and safety? I bet you have. Good luck and we look forward to seeing your photos.

Remember, feeding your Indian Ringneck doves not have to be difficult. These parrots will eat anything you cook just be sure to avoid oils, salts, and preservatives. If you cook, prepare vegetables and fruits while you make your meals. It saves time and can be stored and given throughout the week. If you properly feed your Indian Ringneck you can expect him to live into his 20s.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I'm glad you found your dream bird! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA. Where is your "middle of nowhere"? I've lived there most of my life.

Kay_belle_12

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
Welcome to the Avenue!

Dani

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Welcome!! What a great introduction! So glad you found your dream bird! Can't wait to see pictures of Aero ;)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
welcome!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I loved your story. Welcome aboard and please post pics for us when you can!

AlphaWolf

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Abdel
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.