• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from Sugar

blondzila1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Katie
Hey everybody! I'm Katie and my new feathered friend is Sugar, a 13 year old Triton Cockatoo. We've had her just about a month now and to be honest it's been a rocky start. She is aggressive and unpredictable, but we're taking it day by day trying to figure each other out. She prefers men (my husband, mainly) and likes me for the most part. When she doesn't like me she REALLY doesn't like me. I'm hoping to read others' stories about their 'toos and find some training techniques.

Besides Sugar I grew up with a U2 and a Timneh and loved them both dearly. I've been around several types of Macaws & Amazons, but my real love are the 'toos and Greys. And all other animals - my husband and I have a rescue cat, Kali, a rescue mutt (shepherd/husky/something), Cuda, and an albino corn snake, Slinky.

So hello to everyone!

sugar2.jpg

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi Katie! Welcome. I'm Katy. There are some very interesting too threads going on right now. Look for the Boris and Ducky Show, and any thread with Boris in it. Very interesting, nice people. You'll get something out of it I think. Again, :welcomesign:

blondzila1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Katie
Hi Katie! Welcome. I'm Katy. There are some very interesting too threads going on right now. Look for the Boris and Ducky Show, and any thread with Boris in it. Very interesting, nice people. You'll get something out of it I think. Again, :welcomesign:
I've actually been messaging w/ Boris & Ducky's 'rents on FB! They are the ones that told me about this site. I'm so happy they did, I need to read all the info I can on cranky Tritons. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome and enjoy the site!

Matt

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I've actually been messaging w/ Boris & Ducky's 'rents on FB! They are the ones that told me about this site. I'm so happy they did, I need to read all the info I can on cranky Tritons. :)
WHOOT! So very happy to see you here! I was hoping that you would take the invitation to come join us. :laugh:

As I am sure you can tell, there is an amazing amount of information here, and there is always someone to help answer questions, or at least point you in the right direction. :heart:

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Let's see, there are a few people with sulfur toos on here, hopefully they will see this and have a few tips. I would also look at the cockatoo forum. I know for sure you should be the only one giving the lovely Sugar his favorite treat, so he associates something positive with you.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Hi and welcome! Your Too is gorgeous.

I read in another thread about your sweet U2. You're now getting to know the dark side of Toos. :p Just kidding. I've had many ups and downs with mine, and I've had her 17 years. Your month isn't even enough time for her to settle and feel comfortable yet.

Just relax and let things happen slowly and naturally. I'd not push her, just be there with a gentle offer of friendship. Even at their most contankerous, I still get a thrill out of just sitting watching them. Nothing dull when living with a Cockatoo. :)

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

blondzila1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Katie
:smuggrin: Thank you everybody! My Sugar bird is doing MUCH better. It's like the switch flipped and she figured out I'm not out to ruin her life! She is turning in to an awesome girl, just needed to get a couple good chomps in I suppose!!

I'm loving reading through all the 'too posts, and other posts, for that matter. Thanks for the warm welcome!

kitwit54

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Welcome fellow to owner u2. They have a mind of their own that is for sure. :umbrella2: :dyh: :gwm: