• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from Colorado!

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Hiya! You can call me Crow or Trin, I am new to forums in general, and I thought I would introduce myself! My first bird was a budgerigar named Sky, whom I loved dearly despite his being convinced that humanity was evil. At one point, I had a literal zoo, with three mice, two dogs, one budgie, and two leopard geckos we were pet-sitting for a friend. The mice passed quickly, the leopard geckos went back home, and Sky died February 2018. We are now just down to two dogs. I currently don't have any birds, but I am working with my parents on getting another. Any tips on some species good for second-time parrot owners?
Heres some info:
I'm a minor, but I wouldn't get the parrot until I was at least 2 years older
I would prefer a larger bird (Something between the sizes of a cockatiel and a B&G Macaw)
I have two younger sisters who probably won't be handling the bird anyway.
My parents can deal with noise as long as it isn't constant screaming. (I.E, they would be okay with a loud bird as long as it only screams a few times a day)
They are okay with mess as long as I clean it up.
Talking isn't that important to me.
I want a bird that I can take places (In a flight suit or carrier of course)
I want a bird that is playful and accepts petting.
I would be adopting an older bird from a parrot rescue.
Size isn't a huge problem, we have plenty of space for a large cage, and for the parrot to fly around.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to Avian Avenue.

You didn't address the most important question we old folks on here will have. Do you have enough money saved - specifically and only for veterinarian expenses, or are your parents willing to pay for vet expenses. There have been dozens of youngsters, like yourself, who have gotten a parrot, lived at home and had to watch their parrot die because Mom and Dad would not pay for medical care for the birds.

If you think that it won't happen to your parrot - think again.

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Not at the moment, but I am planning for it, and I will have at least 1 reliable source of money by the time I'm older. I will either be working part-time at my taekwondo studio by next year, or I will have money coming in from an E-book I am very close to finishing. Either way, my parents are also willing to pay for vet bills to an extent. Sorry, I forgot to mention it.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:welave:

So glad you are taking your time looking into what kind of companion bird you would like. I joined this forum last year and I am constantly learning new things :)

Not sure if there is an age restriction, but it may be helpful to volunteer at a local bird rescue to see the different types, personalities, care, needs, etc, of the types of birds you are interested in. Are you close to the Gabriel Foundation? You are being redirected... I am sure there are other rescues, too.

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Yeah, and I seriously looked into it, but I soon found out that they don't let volunteers touch the birds. Also, while my parents might be fine living with with ONE large parrot, I don't think they would like to spend even long enough to volunteer with about 500 parrots squawking for attention. And, yep, I can't volunteer without a parent until I'm older. AND the Gabriel foundation is the only parrot rescue within an hour from where we live. I may adopt from there, though, when the time is right.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Welcome!

I think getting a bird is just as much about you as it is about the bird. You'll be a minor so still largely financially dependent on your parents, living under their roof, and going to school I assume? These are all huge factors that can determine whether owning a bird is right for you.

Where do you plan on going after graduating High School? Going away to university will make it next to impossible to take your bird with you, unless you're able to find pet/bird-friendly housing. Most on-campus housing is not, and many universities require students to live on-campus for their freshman year. College can be more flexible with living at home, but again you're going to have to worry about who you're living with and whether having a parrot is suitable in that kind of environment. If you have to leave your bird with your parents, could you trust them to give it the care and attention it deserves? Truly ask yourself if it would be fair to bond to a bird over the course of a few years, then leave it behind when you go off to school.

Finances will also be a huge factor. Even with small birds, costs can be astronomical, especially in the event of an emergency. My Quaker's illness last year set me back nearly $1400 and required multiple 3 hour road trips to visit avian veterinarians. I was incredibly lucky to have had the finances and means to do this, but the vast majority of people do not. If you're not financially independent, you're relying 100% on your parents to pay for veterinary care, since you won't qualify for loans or programs like CareCredit that help in such situations. If you do not have your own method of transport, then you are again relying on your parents to borrow a car or take you where you need to go. I cannot count how many people I've heard complain that their parents wouldn't take their ill pet to the vet, or they didn't have the means to get their pet to the vet. These are all things you need to consider before you bring home any pet, and most certainly a bird that can hide its illness until its a critical emergency.

Then consider your living arrangements now and in the future. Do you plan on living at home for the next decade? If not, then consider where you would be taking your bird. In general, apartments are difficult homes for bird owners. If you can find a leasing company that allows pets (especially exotics!), then you need to be ready to deal with the possible noise complaints. You will need to worry about your neighbors smoking, or your leasing company coming in and spraying for bugs and killing your birds. If you can't financially handle living on your own, you'll have a roommate who you'll have to trust to not do things to put your bird's health at risk - smoke, light candles/incense, use non-stick cookware or burn things while cooking.

I think you'll find that most parrot owners are very skeptical of young people getting parrots, just because it is a major commitment - like having a kid, really - for someone who is heavily relying on other people to make sure the parrot gets what it needs. When you're relying on third parties that aren't necessarily as emotionally invested in the welfare of the animal, you're opening yourself up to a bit of heartache. It's very common, unfortunately.

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Sorry if I sound desperate, I can assure you, I REALLY want a bird but I am taking all of your advice to heart.

1. I am in a great homeschooling program that lasts until college. I want to become either an exotic animal or avian veterinarian, and there are several excellent veterinary schools not far from our home, so I will be living with my parents until I finish college.

2. That may be a bit of a concern, and definitely something I'll have to talk about with my parents. We have enough money to live comfortably, with few to no financial worries, but I do know that birds can be expensive.

3. Also a very good point. I will have to look into housing more.

4. Yeah, I get the stigma. I've heard it many times before, and it makes sense. Most teenagers really aren't responsible enough for a pet, let alone a parrot. But I take excellent care of my two dogs, and I am planning on parrot sitting soon, so I can get some proper experience of living with a large bird.

Doctress

Strolling the yard
Hi there!

I completely understand you. There are many folks that believe you should be retired with grown children before even considering a parrot...but young bird owners can offer their parrots a FULL lifetime with 1 owner, without the parrot's grief of being switched from home to home after they pass away. I was VERY young when we got Taco the Amazon... and still have him 25+ years on.

I'm 13, but I wouldn't get the parrot until I was at least 15.
I would prefer a larger bird (Something between the sizes of a cockatiel and a B&G Macaw)
I have two younger sisters who probably won't be handling the bird anyway.
My parents can deal with noise as long as it isn't constant screaming. (I.E, they would be okay with a loud bird as long as it only screams a few times a day)
They are okay with mess as long as I clean it up.
Talking isn't that important to me.
I want a bird that I can take places (In a flight suit or carrier of course)
I want a bird that is playful and accepts petting.
I would be adopting an older bird from a parrot rescue.
Size isn't a huge problem, we have plenty of space for a large cage, and for the parrot to fly around.
- Birds are noisy. Macaws of all types scream, and you may not be able to control or calm them. It's not like a dog that you can put outside, or cover the cage to get them to stop. Some won't stop no matter what...it's just how they communicate.
- Birds aren't like dogs.. they're more human-like. Some people don't like to be touched. Some people are more goofy. Some people don't like other people. Taco the Amazon has never been very hands-on and playful with me. He liked horsing around with my ex-husband, but that was it. Your bird may decide to bond more with your parent or sisters than you, regardless of if you feed him/her, give them all the attention they desire. It's just preference.
- Older birds give you a better feel of their personality.
- There are different opinions about having dogs around birds.
- An African Grey may meet some of those criteria, but they are very dusty, and can get very stressed and prone to picking feathers. I think they are better off with a bird buddy to chat with as well.

Yeah, and I seriously looked into it, but I soon found out that they don't let volunteers touch the birds. Also, while my parents might be fine living with with ONE large parrot, I don't think they would like to spend even long enough to volunteer with about 500 parrots squawking for attention. And, yep, I can't volunteer without a parent until I'm 16. AND the Gabriel foundation is the only parrot rescue within an hour from where we live. I may adopt from there, though, when the time is right.
I don't think volunteering is a necessity- you have experience with a smaller bird. It's helpful to check out the larger birds, make sure you aren't scared of the beak. Ask at zoos, they may let you see the macaws and get closer, if they have them. I wouldn't see a need to see every minute detail of bird care.

Sorry if I sound desperate, I can assure you, I REALLY want a bird but I am taking all of your advice to heart.

1. I am in a great homeschooling program that lasts until college. I want to become either an exotic animal or avian veterinarian, and there are several excellent veterinary schools not far from our home, so I will be living with my parents until I finish college.

2. That may be a bit of a concern, and definitely something I'll have to talk about with my parents. We have enough money to live comfortably, with few to no financial worries, but I do know that birds can be expensive.

3. Also a very good point. I will have to look into housing more.

4. Yeah, I get the stigma. I've heard it many times before, and it makes sense. Most teenagers really aren't responsible enough for a pet, let alone a parrot. But I take excellent care of my two dogs, and I am planning on parrot sitting soon, so I can get some proper experience of living with a large bird.
I'm a physician, and went through high school, college, med school, residency, and practice in different states and settings with my little flock. It is manageable! For professional school, you will want to stay with your parents for a while... for financial and time management reasons only! If you have any questions for me, please ask! Keep your motivation!!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Yeah, and I seriously looked into it, but I soon found out that they don't let volunteers touch the birds. Also, while my parents might be fine living with with ONE large parrot, I don't think they would like to spend even long enough to volunteer with about 500 parrots squawking for attention. And, yep, I can't volunteer without a parent until I'm 16. AND the Gabriel foundation is the only parrot rescue within an hour from where we live. I may adopt from there, though, when the time is right.
have you also checked out Metro Denver Parrot Rescue?
which is actually in Colorado Springs but I don't know your location.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
BTW one of the moderators should have been in contact with you (unless the rules have changed). I tis not wise nor is it allowed to post your age, or list you age in your profile if you are a minor - Their are lots of really bad guys out there and we don't like to give them access to young folk.

Your two dogs can be a deadly problem to a parrot. So keep in mind that you will never ever, ever be able to allow your dogs and your parrot to be together.

I'm 78 years old and the older I get the more It seems that youngsters aren't living in a real world. My Hank (the bird in my avatar) cost me a total of $50,000 by the time he died. He was chronically ill and many times on the edge of death. He lived 15 years after he was diagnosed, but it cost money that I had spent many years earning and saving.

My Jasper (a GW female, 25 yo) was given to me at 6 years of age. I took her to the vet a month later and she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. I've been told by my vet at least three times that she probably wouldn't live through the night - $30,000 and constant care later she has lived 17 years since diagnosed and has had some very close calls with death.

These extremes probably won't happen to you nor to many people, just be aware that they can and do happen.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Trinity!
THE I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE AVENUE!! WE'RE A BUNCH OF ANIMAL LOVERS HERE!! HOPE YOU FIT RIGHT IN!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue! We've already met playing games here.

Your interest in birds is so exciting, particularly from a young person like yourself. My advice is to keep on researching the wide world of avians...knowledge is so important! When you get old enough, please begin volunteering at the local rescue...this will start your way to gaining valuable experience...and expand your knowledge even further...

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I just wanted to say a big welcome, and I'm so impressed that you have given this matter a LOT of thought, and it sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders, and will make a good decision for you and your future lucky bird!
:welcome2::hello1::welcome: