• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from another toucan owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldtoucan

Strolling the yard
Hi I have two emerald toucanets, one male named Hal, and a female named Arisia.

I just discovered this forum today, I used to post at The perch, but came back from vacation to see that it was being shut down, don't really know what the story behind that was. I see some others from The Perch are here as well.

I have pics and info on my guys here:
http://toucanets.com

and here too:

http://student.santarosa.edu/~mbennet1/dreamweaver/project/index.html

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome aboard and those are lovely birds!!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4: So glad you made it here!! :welcomesign:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Hi I have two emerald toucanets, one male named Hal, and a female named Arisia.

I just discovered this forum today, I used to post at The perch, but came back from vacation to see that it was being shut down, don't really know what the story behind that was. I see some others from The Perch are here as well.

I have pics and info on my guys here:
http://toucanets.com

and here too:

http://student.santarosa.edu/~mbennet1/dreamweaver/project/index.html

Welcome! I just looked at your website. Very cool. Your birds are great! Are you in Santa Rosa, CA?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Glad you were found. Yep, I was lost and then found LOL. Your birds are great and I do remember you and your posts. Lot of people interested in ramphastids.

Trixie's chic

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Hello im so glad to see you here i will be bringing my Green aracari home after holidays you can see pics of him in my post Intro to Elliot

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi and glad you joined!:)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome! Get unpacked and hang some pics of your beautiful fids. :D

emeraldtoucan

Strolling the yard
Welcome! I just looked at your website. Very cool. Your birds are great! Are you in Santa Rosa, CA?
Not in Santa Rosa, but not too far away either. I'm taking online classes from them, and that site was done for a class I took last semester (thus the santarosa.edu in the url).

Anyhow I plan to eventually do a gallery for my emeralds, and to also take pictures of other softbills. Actually I do have something with a small gallery of wild softbills in Maui I took pictures of that I made for a different class here:

Birds I saw in Maui.

*I doubt anyone will try anyways, but I don't recommend trying to reach me using the contact me form on that site, it was just done to show the professor I knew how to build a form, I seldom check the email it goes to.

When I get a gallery of my toucanets up I'll post the url.

I'm glad toucan and other softbill owners and people with an interest in them are joining up with this forum, it's good to have a place to communicate with toucan/softbill people.

Last edited:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad toucan and other softbill owners and people with an interest in them are joining up with this forum, it's good to have a place to communicate with toucan/softbill people.

Spread the word :) Anything we can do to improve the area for these birds we'll try to do, just say the word :)

emeraldtoucan

Strolling the yard
I think the biggest thing is just a matter of as many people as possible finding their way to a common place to communicate, and a place that's friendly to breeders, and owners of birds, as well as those whom just want to learn about them (there's plenty of online environments that have a rather hostile attitude towards, breeding or even just keeping or interacting with birds) there's all ready more softbill and toucan owners on this forum than the other one (aside from The Perch, which is now dead anyways) that I've been active on (Bird Board), in my experience softbill and toucan forums tend to be at least a bit inactive. There are a lot more softbill owners out there, but not all of them are the type of people whom tend to have much if any internet presence, in fact I get the impression that lots of them shy away from forums, or just don't really bother with them anyhow.
So far I think this place is on the right track.

Last edited:

TITANIS

I think the biggest thing is just a matter of as many people as possible finding their way to a common place to communicate, and a place that's friendly to breeders, and owners of birds, as well as those whom just want to learn about them (there's plenty of online environments that have a rather hostile attitude towards, breeding or even just keeping or interacting with birds) there's all ready more softbill and toucan owners on this forum than the other one (aside from The Perch, which is now dead anyways) that I've been active on (Bird Board), in my experience softbill and toucan forums tend to be at least a bit inactive. There are a lot more softbill owners out there, but not all of them are the type of people whom tend to have much if any internet presence.
So far I think this place is on the right track.
I agree with Jill that spreading the word is the best possible path to take. There are a fair number of softbill owners here but very few actual rhamphastid owners. Aside from you, Dana and Trixie, I can't think of anyone else except for prospective owners. I'm a little concerned because I am in agreement with you that this family is underrepresented in a forum structure such as this one in proportion to the number of rhamphastid owners out there, both actual and prospective. TP was the only real toucan 'portal' outside the lists, but they are slowly dying. So there is a vacuum at the moment that needs to be filled.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Chad and Jason have posted some in the past. Do they know where the new site is? The most posts I see are on a Yahoo group. You don't quite get the discussion you see on a forum such as this but I have seen wonderful photos.

Trixie's chic

TITANIS

Chad and Jason have posted some in the past. Do they know where the new site is?
Not to my knowledge and I keep forgetting to contact Chad and Bill. :(

The most posts I see are on a Yahoo group. You don't quite get the discussion you see on a forum such as this but I have seen wonderful photos.
Yep, but I find the groups are diminishing in activity and even in significance somewhat. All the groups I browse which are around half a dozen, have dramatically lessened in activity since spring/summer of '08. I cannot determine all the reasons why although I suspect the economy may have a part in it, but only a part. OTOH, forums are picking up so this might just be a natural migration from one format to another. :shrug3:

onthewingsofmacaws

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Patricia
Welcome Your birds are really pretty I don't know to much about them so I'm glad you are here. Its nice to be able to learn about other species that people keep as pets. I just love the beak on your birds they look so top heavy to me but they are so gorgeous as well I took a look at your website it was very informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.