• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! -from a resident lurker

Status
Not open for further replies.

repulsiongel

Checking out the neighborhood
The Aperture Science Computer-Aided Enrichment Cen
Real Name
Ari
Hi there! I'm Ari and I'm 23, a student working towards a teaching license. I work part time as a freelancer, mainly as a freelance colorist for Marvel Comics but I do random stuff for pretty much anyone who'll pay me. I'm easy. (Typical life for a broke college student.) I also am in the works of making my own graphic novel in my free time, but I'm generally a procrastinator and I'm doing everything on my own. (Again, broke, so can't afford assistants. Boooooooooooo.) So it'll probably be a while before that takes off anywhere.

You might not initially see a whole lot of me because, as previously stated, I tend to be more of a lurker on forums. But I figured I may as well introduce myself and my babies and I'll probably become a bit more social over time but it usually takes me a while before I start to feel comfortable enough to post regularly.

Anyway, I guess that's enough about me. I'm sure you're all much more interested in the babies!

Here's a picture of me and my Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure. (Turquoise color mutation) Her name is Kiwi. She's actually quite literally a baby, as her hatch date was Dec 22. She just turned 4 months old! :)

And here's the carnage that was left after Kiwi's first dive into a cup full of berries. It was like a scene out of Dexter over here.

And here's my other baby, Trucker. Well, really she's my dad's baby, but she's been passed down to me because he's getting a bit too old to care for her as well as he used to and I have a lot of free time to devote to birds. She's a Yellow Nape Amazon, 25 years old, and spoiled rotten. Hahahaha! This is after a bath so please excuse her messy feathers. And I think she loves scrambled eggs more than she loves me. :p

Both of them are really smart and chatty birds. Kiwi likes to hang out with me as much as possible, making kissy noises and little birdy tweets and getting all up into my business and into everything she can get her beak on, while Trucker tends to prefer hanging out on her cage talking and singing to anyone (or anything) that will listen. Not to say Trucker isn't social, she's extremely social and loves attention, my Dad just never really got her used to being handled much. I've been working on that a bit a bit, myself, and I've gotten to the point where she'll hang out comfortably on your lap or being handled if she's already off her cage, but she still gets a little nervous when you try to get her off her cage yourself. She has to get herself off for one reason or another, first. (And if anyone has any tips on how to get an older bird used to handling, that'd be awesome and super appreciated! :D)

Besides kisses, Kiwi's picked up (trying) to say her name and what I think might be "Hello" but it's pretty hard to tell with her voice. Trucker, however, has a very huge vocabulary. She's picked up all sorts of words, phrases, sounds, and songs over the years from TV and people alike. I think the best is the stuff she's learned the meanings to. She learned laughing from my Grandma, so she laughs any time she's happy or seeing something funny on TV, or if she hears other people laughing. She learned how to cry from when I was a baby so she cries when she's bitten some one or when she's generally not happy. And she knows what "no" means, like most birds... But she's also learned that she can be sassy with it, so when she's being too noisy and some one tells her to be quiet, she starts shouting "No!!!" over and over. She's a real trip. Hahahahaha

I've also got 3 cats, and they have been raised around birds. We've always had at least Trucker and I've gone through a few budgies since childhood. Trucker loves cats, and seems to desperately want to cuddle with them, but I don't really let them get too close to each other most of the time because I'm afraid of something startling one of them. I'm just paranoid and don't want anyone to get hurt. But anyway, the cats normally know better not to bother birds, even smaller ones like Kiwi. Although sometimes it's hard to contain Kiwi's jealousy toward one of my cats who is my other cuddly baby. But •••• is it funny watching a tiny little bird chase a fluffy calico in circles until the cat falls backwards off the bed. Yes, my cat has become slightly afear'd of the big tough Kiwi. I've since been working with Kiwi to not mess with the cats, though. Luckily for me (or my poor cat who's afraid of her) she's a quick learner so she's been a lot better at not instigating things with the cats. Trying to teach her to stop going for my lip ring, on the other hand, is not working out so easily. Stubborn little brat. lmao

So, um, welp. There's my family! I guess it's a bit of a handful sometimes, but as said, I have a lot of free time and I'm home more often than not since freelancing allows me to work from my home. So it's really not too bad. Having lots of animals is kind of nice. I'm never bored or lonely! Hahahaha

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome!!! love your birdies and love your hair color!!!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome to the hood! Nice to have you. The birds are beautiful. Loved the Dexter comment. :D

Momto3boys

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brandy
Welcome to Avian Avenue. You're GORGEOUS!!!!!

I hope you dont continue to lurk, I wanna hear ore about your babies, especially Trucker :heart::heart::heart:

repulsiongel

Real Name
Ari
Welcome to the hood! Nice to have you. The birds are beautiful. Loved the Dexter comment. :D
Thanks! Nice to be here, haha! You know, I haven't actually watched Dexter yet but I keep meaning to. I just keep getting distracted trying to catch up on everything else ahahahaha

welcome!!! love your birdies and love your hair color!!!
Thank yooou! It was actually kind of an accident. I tend to get creative with mixing dyes, and I mixed up this real pretty purple and it's just faded into this pretty pink. lol

Welcome to Avian Avenue. You're GORGEOUS!!!!!

I hope you dont continue to lurk, I wanna hear ore about your babies, especially Trucker :heart::heart::heart:
Thanks so much! :D Yeah, I'll probably post more often! Usually I just kinda lurk about to get a feel for the place and then slowly start commenting more often ahaha I'm generally kind of nervous with social interaction IRL and apparently that leaks into my online social life, as well. lol

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome and enjoy the site! Matt

Resee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
Welcome to AA. Your little family sounds very entertaining. I can't wait to hear more stories and see more pictures.

Cyreen

Your baby Cinnamon is a day older than mine and she has a taste for jewelry too. I've been trying to convey the idea that if it's attached to my body, it's definitely MINE.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Welcome, lovely birds!

repulsiongel

Real Name
Ari
Your baby Cinnamon is a day older than mine and she has a taste for jewelry too. I've been trying to convey the idea that if it's attached to my body, it's definitely MINE.
Aww, yay! :D

Aaaagh, yes. I don't mind as much with necklaces or dangling earrings (she doesn't seem to either realize she can or want to bite hard enough to break them) but when she gets ahold of my lipring, she tries to tug it off of me so she can play with it properly. Luckily, it was fully healed long before I got her, but it's a vertical labret. It goes straight down through my lip, so her trying to pull it out still makes it feel pretty tender for a few minutes after and if she yanked it just the right way it would be a very bloody mess whether it got ripped out fully or not. I doubt she has the body strength to rip it out fully... At least not yet, anyway. I'm not sure how strong GCC's can get since budgies are the only smaller birds I've ever had.

I've just been firmly saying "No!" while wedging my fingers into her beak to pry her off and put her back in her cage and give her the silent treatment for about 30 minutes every time she goes for it. She's becoming a bit of a velcro bird so she gets real mad at me when I give her the cold shoulder. Hopefully she eventually decides the lip ring isn't worth it anymore hahaha

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Welcome to the forum! Gorgeous birds, and your eyes are just amazingly beautiful and your makeup looks great too, I am jealous. I can't even put on my own eyeshadow lol. Anyway, glad you decide to say hello :D.

vinnyb123

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vince
Welcome! I use to be a lurker myself. The people here are fantastic and you will learn a lot. Don't be shy about answering questions. I honestly think they live the interaction and reading posts makes you feel normal around non bird people.

As for your amazon becoming more interactive in the cage, I would start by giving him treats while he is on the cage. Start small and do 5-10 minute sessions. You want him to associate you with a positive engagement. As he becomes more trusting, start placing your hand on the edge of the cage firmly and entice him to get closer with treats until he will step up. I highly recommend Barbara Heidenreich's DVD videos on parrot training. I have seen some outstanding progress with parrot owners with her positive reinforcement.

Again welcome. And don't be a stranger.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Welcome!! Beautiful birds!

Status
Not open for further replies.