• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello everyone newbie here :)

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
Hi I'm Gracelyn, and I'm getting my new cockatiel London sometime in the next two weeks. I'm moving right now and cant bring him to the new house yet. I have a few questions.

1) I work at the small family owned pet store I'm getting London at. So my question is even though he is already semi used to me, the day I bring him home can I handle him? Or should I wait a couple of days to hold him?

2) He was housed with another cockatiel and 3 parakeets, so in the future can I get one of the parakeets that was housed with him and have them live in the same cage?

3) Also will he continue to flock call days after I bring him home? I'm asking because I put him in his own cage because its easier to get him out of the aviary, plus the other birds aren't in the way and he is calling for them.

Thank you guys in advance, sorry for all the questions. I know its kind of weird that I work at a pet store and don't know the answers to these questions. I don't run the bird part, I'm with the reptiles. I know the basic care and that's is. That's why I came here to learn everything possible about my new baby.

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
I have joined another form and some members think I should also bring home a parakeet he was housed with so he doesn't get lonely when im not around, because he is used to being with some one/ bird all day and night? Do any of you agree?

Tongue Flicker

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Neil Moreton

Hey gracelyn welcome aboard!

Feathered friends for our tiels are pretty much okay just be sure to observe the proper quarantine measures

HelloMarsha

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claire
Hi Gracelyn. If you want the cockatiel to bond with you, it's better not to have another bird. But if that doesn't worry you, and you intent to get a parakeet in future, I'd get one now with the cockatiel. You'll probably make the change less stressful for the birds if they go to your new home together.

Plus, you're right! The parakeets and cockatiel's relationship is proven and tested. I'd be very reluctant to introduce and unknown bird into a territory of another bird. You need to introduce them carefully and slowly, watching all the time. If you don't, there's a potential for fighting and one could possibly kill the other.

If your cockatiel has been hand raised, and it's a friendly bird that doesn't mind to go on your finger, it's ok to get it out once you're home. If the bird is an aviary breed bird with little human contact, I'd leave it in the cage and slowly coax it out over a few days with treats. It's important you gain the bird's trust, don't try and force it. Get the bird coming towards you, and sitting on your finger comfortably before you let it out of the cage.

Regarding the parrot calling to its flock, you might experience this for a day or so, but it will settle down. If you really don't care about having a bonded bird, get the parakeet with it, it will be less stressful for the bird.

Finally, don't expect to get all the right answers online. Read some books about parrot training, I highly recommend anything by Barbara Heidenreich.

I wish you all the best with your new friend ;-)

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Graycelyn!!' Welcome to AA!
I would have to disagree with the others in that a 'teil and a budgie can be housed together.
Budgies think they are huge and can be bullies, even to a larger bird. Not to mention a teil is bigger and would have the advantage if they ever fought.

Teils do well in a cage with lots of width and length, but you don't want it too tall since they're prone to night-frights.

As for diet, I recommend a high quality pellet such as Harrison's of Roudybush, supplemented by fresh veggies, fruits, sprouted grains, chop, omlets- the list goes on. :)

Also be prepared for huge vet bills if he gets sick.
Good luck!

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
Thank you ever one for you advice, I was also wondering there is another cockatiel in the store. They have not been housed together but have had some play time, would it be possible to get them used to each other and have both of them in the same cage?

HelloMarsha

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claire
It's possible. I would get two cages to start, slowly introduce them over a few weeks, monitoring all interactions, placing cages closer and closer together. If I was satisfied the relationship was friendly I would try and house them together. Where possible in a brand new cage, so no bird has territorial dominance over its own cage.

It's much easier to get one that is already housed with it! Tried and proven relationship.

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Welcome to AA! I think it would be less stressful if he came home with a buddy, even if they had separate cages. Since the tiel is used to being with others, I believe the transition would be easier for him if he knew somebirdy in the new place :p Does he step up for you at the store? Good luck and keep us posted.

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Congratulations of the new cockatiel(s). I like the name London.

I'd agree with the Pigster that the new buddy should be a fellow cockatiel, not a budgie. Pet stores have these annoying tendencies to house both species together, but it can be dangerous, especially as they become older. If both cockatiels come from the same store, you can try gauging their relationship there before you decide on a companion. Cockatiels do breed very easily, so preferably get two males or two females so you can avoid much hassle in the future.

With any bird, you should wait a few days for him to settle in before attempting to handle him. Do sit by his cage and talk to him, but be patient. He'll take more time than you to adjust.

If you bring home two at once, they will probably be quieter than one alone will be as far as initial flock calling goes.

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
I would love to bring him home with a new buddy and have them have there own cages and get them used to each other that way. But I Don't have the space for two cages right now. Any pet I have has to be housed in my room, and the pets I have now need lots of space. So either I get a parakeet or wait for a couple of months. What are your thoughts on this?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome..definitely do not house budgies and tiels together..budgies are very very aggressive and will attack and even seriously injure a tiel..pet stores always put them together...our little crippled tiel was nearly killed by them..they can get along but it is not recommended..please do not cage them together.

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
So, im just sticking with my baby London, and maybe 6-7 months down the road I can think about getting him a buddy. Thank you guys for your help!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
:welcome: :hood: and I think it's a wise move just to bring one bird home initially until you see what you've gotten yourself into. :)