• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello everyone... 7th Egg laid by my lovebirds

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I tried to candle the eggs now but i was not to see anything either all the eggs are empty or i am not knowing what i am looking at (my first experience with Birds eggs :) ). So, I am going just to leave it to nature and wait a couple more weeks and see what happens and deal with things as they come up. In the meantime if i have any other questions i will post them here and seek your help. :)
Sorry but that worries me.

Your birds are no more than 14 months old. If the eggs are fertile, they may need some help to care for them. If you can´t step in and help in the moment, chicks will die. You won´t have time to research on the spot. You will panic and something could go wrong.
(Your birds were 4 months old when you got them so I don´t think you know how to handfeed.)

If you don´t research and find knowledge now, you won´t be able to help your birds - not a good ending.

I´m not saying you must destroy the eggs. But if you are going to leave them then you must prepare for many possible outcomes, buy all the equiptment they will need and find them a loving home -with you, or someone else. You must start thinking up a plan now because if you realise you can´t get away from work or you have other commitments, now is the time to remove that last egg.

Are you home a lot? (don´t work, work from home or work/go to school but can get home frequently on breaks) A chick needs feeding between 2-4 hours depending on its age. Can you do that? or is someone else avail. to do that?

Did you watch the video in my first comment? I find it´s easier to see inside the egg if it´s not daylight. So closing curtains will help you. Open the little picture in my first comment. If you see lines in the egg, they are veins and it is a fertile egg. It usually glows quite orange almost red. If you don´t see anything, it is infertile or too soon.
If you look at the egg 7, the one laid this morning, you will see it is yellow. you can´t see anything inside it. ok? if the other eggs look like this one, remove them, they are not fertile and have expired. Egg 7 looks like a non viable egg right now, because it is fresh, so you can use it to compare.
Leave egg 7 in the nest box if you wish to proceed with this clutch. If you decide to destroy the egg, the best time is now while nothing is growing inside it.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sorry but that worries me.

Your birds are no more than 14 months old. If the eggs are fertile, they may need some help to care for them. If you can´t step in and help in the moment, chicks will die. You won´t have time to research on the spot. You will panic and something could go wrong.
(Your birds were 4 months old when you got them so I don´t think you know how to handfeed.)

If you don´t research and find knowledge now, you won´t be able to help your birds - not a good ending.

I´m not saying you must destroy the eggs. But if you are going to leave them then you must prepare for many possible outcomes, buy all the equiptment they will need and find them a loving home -with you, or someone else. You must start thinking up a plan now because if you realise you can´t get away from work or you have other commitments, now is the time to remove that last egg.

Are you home a lot? (don´t work, work from home or work/go to school but can get home frequently on breaks) A chick needs feeding between 2-4 hours depending on its age. Can you do that? or is someone else avail. to do that?

Did you watch the video in my first comment? I find it´s easier to see inside the egg if it´s not daylight. So closing curtains will help you. Open the little picture in my first comment. If you see lines in the egg, they are veins and it is a fertile egg. It usually glows quite orange almost red. If you don´t see anything, it is infertile or too soon.
If you look at the egg 7, the one laid this morning, you will see it is yellow. you can´t see anything inside it. ok? if the other eggs look like this one, remove them, they are not fertile and have expired. Egg 7 looks like a non viable egg right now, because it is fresh, so you can use it to compare.
Leave egg 7 in the nest box if you wish to proceed with this clutch. If you decide to destroy the egg, the best time is now while nothing is growing inside it.
May sound brutal, but it's honest.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
May sound brutal
Sorry if it comes across harsh, that´s not my intent. I just want to give you some things to consider. I find it is sometimes hard to read people through a computer, tone of voice is missing. I come from a place of caring about you and your birds. Because if something goes wrong it will upset you as well as your birds.

Whilst I´m here, I also want to brush on this:

So, I am going just to leave it to nature and wait a couple more weeks and see what happens and deal with things as they come up.
i would not interfere in nature and stop my brids from having their babies if they want to try.
You saying this, is like me saying ¨I´m 8 months pregnant, but I haven´t seen a Doctor, and I won´t go to hospital. I will just leave it to nature and see what happens.¨

Your birds do not live like nature intended. Your birds live in captivity. Cowboy and Chica will feel more safe with you in your home than a wild lovebird would in Africa and this will lead to more frequent breeding especially when you provided a nesting box, something that rarely happens in the wild.

You brought those birds into your home and made them yor family so you must do what is right by them.

Please keep up updated on your (birds) eggs.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sorry @Zara. It was meant fot the OP, as in 'it may sound brutal but it' s honest advice'. You are right as sometimes text doesn't convey meaning or intent.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sorry @Zara. It was meant fot the OP, as in 'it may sound brutal but it' s honest advice'. You are right as sometimes text doesn't convey meaning or intent.
I got that ;)
I re-read and was just worried OP may take it the wrong way so I thought best to add on :)
My profile picture with the serious face does not help! haha (It´s my ¨concentrating trying to get all the birds in one pic¨ face)

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you BirdField for your reply, The Pellet/seed mix I am using has lots of veggies, fruits and nuts in it with all the vitamins they need including Calcium.
The Egg and Honey mix I am feeding them it contains D3 and E vitamins among others.
I also have vitamins liquid substitution that i add to their food and water.
The Egg Shells I gave them yesterday i crushed them very fine before I serve it to them.
They should be getting ~ 80% pellets in their seeds, with fresh vegetables, and if they are getting all the vitamins they need then you should not be giving them vitamin supplements. Too much can be toxic. Just something to think about when you finish this lot of egg laying!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome