• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heartbroken

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Hey all. I was in tears yesterday because I'm an emotional person, especially over animals. I visited a Pet Supplies Plus and of course I'll always veer over to peek at the birds- in this case, budgies. One caught my eye especially well the last time I visited, though. A direct replica of my recently deceased Frosty. The bright, powder snow with super, super light blue is a color I rarely see in budgies. And he was here again.

This little guy sported Frosty's coloration perfect, and while he did not have the overgrown beak I had to trim twice a month, nor the slight english budgie look to his face (and slightly bigger body due to being slight English), the little lad was spot on color wise.

I sat there for upwards of 20 minutes talking to the baby, who still had young budgie bands on his head. He tilted it's head, fluffed up it's muttin-chops and peered up at me while I gently talked to him, reminding him how absolutely adorable and sweet he is.

I got upset, naturally, upset at the fate this little $15 pet store budgie would meet due to being positively gorgeous. I have another cage, and he can always join my other budgies. Of course my boyfriend would not allow me to buy this sweet baby... We have to wait until we buy our house in 2020 for more pets :(.

But it hurts. Yesterday, a family came in and were eyeing the budgies hard. I knew it. Such a beautiful budgie in the bunch of more normal blues and greens (though beautiful as they were), the bright colors always catch the eyes the best.

The picked a green budgie out. I held my breath. They caught the dang things with a net! Like a little fish net! How terrifying that must've been for the budgies, seriously. Not the mention a hazard I can imagine. A budgie escaped the cage, too. Then they wanted a second budgie... and wouldn't you know. The bright blue baby.

I am upset at the fact this baby will likely suffer the same fate as my Frosty, who died prematurely at an unknown age (his band says 2015, though) due to neglect. Frosty had an overgrown beak into his chin when I got him. He was not being given attention to by his cage mates, with pin-feathers ALL over his head. He was thin and depressed, sitting at the bottom of the cage. Getting pooped on, getting flown over in the already tiny flight cage... you know the ones. Those little 17 inch long flight cages that are maybe 12 inches wide. There were around 12-15 budgies in that cage. All the others looked healthier and more lively.

These people had NO CLUE what they were doing with this budgie. Neither did the worker.
It burns a hole in me, so deep.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey all. I was in tears yesterday because I'm an emotional person, especially over animals. I visited a Pet Supplies Plus and of course I'll always veer over to peek at the birds- in this case, budgies. One caught my eye especially well the last time I visited, though. A direct replica of my recently deceased Frosty. The bright, powder snow with super, super light blue is a color I rarely see in budgies. And he was here again.

This little guy sported Frosty's coloration perfect, and while he did not have the overgrown beak I had to trim twice a month, nor the slight english budgie look to his face (and slightly bigger body due to being slight English), the little lad was spot on color wise.

I sat there for upwards of 20 minutes talking to the baby, who still had young budgie bands on his head. He tilted it's head, fluffed up it's muttin-chops and peered up at me while I gently talked to him, reminding him how absolutely adorable and sweet he is.

I got upset, naturally, upset at the fate this little $15 pet store budgie would meet due to being positively gorgeous. I have another cage, and he can always join my other budgies. Of course my boyfriend would not allow me to buy this sweet baby... We have to wait until we buy our house in 2020 for more pets :(.

But it hurts. Yesterday, a family came in and were eyeing the budgies hard. I knew it. Such a beautiful budgie in the bunch of more normal blues and greens (though beautiful as they were), the bright colors always catch the eyes the best.

The picked a green budgie out. I held my breath. They caught the dang things with a net! Like a little fish net! How terrifying that must've been for the budgies, seriously. Not the mention a hazard I can imagine. A budgie escaped the cage, too. Then they wanted a second budgie... and wouldn't you know. The bright blue baby.

I am upset at the fact this baby will likely suffer the same fate as my Frosty, who died prematurely at an unknown age (his band says 2015, though) due to neglect. Frosty had an overgrown beak into his chin when I got him. He was not being given attention to by his cage mates, with pin-feathers ALL over his head. He was thin and depressed, sitting at the bottom of the cage. Getting pooped on, getting flown over in the already tiny flight cage... you know the ones. Those little 17 inch long flight cages that are maybe 12 inches wide. There were around 12-15 budgies in that cage. All the others looked healthier and more lively.

These people had NO CLUE what they were doing with this budgie. Neither did the worker.
It burns a hole in me, so deep.

Honey, the pain will always ting your heart, but time heals it however so slight. Maybe this wasn't your bird friend, but one that's more well suited for your flock.

Big giant hugs as w/ everything it will pass. I'm here if you need to chat!

:hug5:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m so sorry. Sounds like you´ve had a rough time. It´s not easy seeing the way pet store birds are treated. I personally avoid the chains that sell birds because I can´t handle the sadness.

You should have introduced yourself to the family and told the parents to join AA. Maybe next time.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
my boyfriend would not allow me to buy this sweet baby.

And you don't allow him to control you and what you want to do. The white budgie will find another adoring human to give him a good life.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I would buy him, if he touched your heart, find ways to cut expense for 15.00. That's just the way I am, give up something to get want I love. Zara I'm with u, I avoid the bird department, it breaks my heart. Pet stores do not take care of them and don't inform customers. They should be banned from selling birds. Breeders overcharge as well.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm so sorry you are sad about this. You are a Person, an individual. You should he able to go get this bird if your heart yearns for it.

Boyfriend, Schmoyfriend, you aren't married etc go get that bird! Or tell the Guy to hit the road! If he was THAT guy he'd surprise you with this bird!

Again, the real me talking here, the brutally honest one ;)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I'm with you on this Claire, if a guy is going to be like this over a 15.00 dollar bird, what will he be like in the future? I'm independent and I have no problem with compromise, however this is something to her heart, wish keets were only15.00 here.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm with you on this Claire, if a guy is going to be like this over a 15.00 dollar bird, what will he be like in the future? I'm independent and I have no problem with compromise, however this is something to her heart, wish keets were only15.00 here.
It's not the dollar amount of the bird, but the reasoning why. I look at it this way. If someone really loves you and they know what makes you happy and fulfilled, they would allow it. We aren't talking a 100 lb dog or a horse lol, a budgie!

Men who say no are not the one, period. @Kenzie I don't say anything about to be mean, just the reality I see in my head, if it were me in your situation. :hug8:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I feel for you, I really do. I try to avoid looking at the birds in pet shops as I want to take them all home, but you must have faith in the good people who adopt birds. This little guy WILL go to a family who fall completely in love with him and spoil him rotten, you need to believe that because I was once that 9 year old sad lonely child who was given a budgie instead of the dog I wanted. That little bird changed my life and made a difficult childhood bearable. He took over my heart and was spoiled rotten. This little guy can do the same.

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
You guys crack me up about the boyfriend thing. I can understand where he is coming from with our relatively small rental and 9 birds. But I dont see what is one more budgie! It's the principle to him, I suppheb. But I do have a other spot or two in my bird room....

Regardless hes let me have all these little babies I have now without being interested in birds at first. Of course he knows if one comes along that NEEDS A HOME ASAP he'd have no choice heh.

Anyways, I'm sad I didnt go up there myself and get this budgie. But also dont like the idea of buying into bad pet stores... it's a conflict!