• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

heartbreaking

junglechicken

Walking the driveway
the little ring neck i was given a week ago ventured out with me in the room (first time she has done that). she tried to fly, but her wings are so week from never being let out of her cage that she flew a few feet and her wings just gave out. she didn't so much as land as just fall from the air. she is fine, but it was heartbreaking.

we have a long way to go. she doesn't trust me, she will barely come out of her cage, and she can't fly.

why do people have birds if they are going to just stuff them in a cage and never let them out?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Just keep telling yourself that she's in a much better home now and that her life is so much better than it was. :) (But it is heart breaking.)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have hardwood nearly everywhere except my birds room. Their bedroom still has the old plush carpet. Until I adopted them, their wings had been clipped. I don't believe in doing that. Although they don't know they can fly, they still sometimes take a floppy landing. Hence the carpet. I keep Piddle pads down so the carpet isn't totally marred. I feel so bad every time they belly flop, but I'm hoping, given time, they will figure things out. Your little guy will too! Bless them all!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Time is your friend. It will take lots of patience and time, but eventually your bird will trust you and will fly. Just go slow and do nothing that will damage her trust. Let her call all the shots and give her lots of treats. Sit beside her, read to her, speak to her often.

What's her name?

junglechicken

Walking the driveway
Time is your friend. It will take lots of patience and time, but eventually your bird will trust you and will fly. Just go slow and do nothing that will damage her trust. Let her call all the shots and give her lots of treats. Sit beside her, read to her, speak to her often.

What's her name?
Her name is Chiquita. She is bright yellow.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Yellow ringnecks are so beautiful. Congratulations on your new bird.

Rules: never force her out of her cage or to do anything that is not something to avoid danger. If she is ever out of the cage and refuses to let you put her back in it, let her perch, note where she is a make the room dark as possible and collect her as gently as possible and cage her. Teach her how to step up on command and to at least answer y when you call her, if not fly to you.

Enjoy your bird.

junglechicken

Walking the driveway
thank you everyone.
i am opening her cage door every day. most days she chooses to stay in her cage. i never force her out. she can stay in if she wants, or come out. it just makes me so sad that she is scared to be out.
she does flock call quite a bit and i think that is a good sign. she may not be ready to face her new world, but at least she wants to know we are close enough to hear her. she has a little whistle she does and i do it back to her.

i got lucky with the junglechicken. even though he plucks a lot he is a confident and friendly bird. he never seemed to be afraid and he is very friendly and outgoing. so chiquita is a challenge. that is ok. i will work with her at her own pace. and if she never comes out of the cage, that is ok. she will always have the option to come out, but i won't force her unless it is necessary (vet visits or something like that).

again, thank you all for your input. it is much appreciated.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch was very outa shape when he got here, mad at the world, and clipped, luckily for us. As his flights grew back in he'd do panic emergency flights and be done for a hour afterwards. He slowly started coming out and flying more and at the end he could fly like a jet and manage very well flying between and around things. She'll get there with time and patience so settle in for a possibly long ride to birdy happiness.