• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Healthy Bird, Sick Human

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
For some background before i state my inquiry - I am 18 and am suffering with/overcoming some heavy depression and an autoimmune disorder that makes me very sick, very tired, and causes a lot of pain. I still live at home and my parents have fostered or owned birds in the past and currently we have a sweet goffins cockatoo. I care for her when I'm home but ultimately have my parents around to help out. I've formed quite a heavy bond with my girl and because of that have been thinking a lot about what my own feathered future might look like. I am prepared to make sacrifices for a bird and would love to have one of my own someday - perhaps even one that struggles in similar ways to me - but I also know that birds require a lot of round the clock care regardless of how you may feel at that time. Does anyone know what kinds of birds someone in this situation should research? Tips for making good care a more accomplishable task? Would caring for an equally sick bird destine us both for failure? And finally - how do i ensure I keep my bird in good humor even while im having a bad day/week? I know these are some pretty specific and difficult questions, but I'm open to any suggestions. :joyful::joyful::hug8:thank you!!

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sympathize with you greatly as I also have an autoimmune disease, suffer from depression, and am a chronic insomniac. When I was researching parrot species, I particularly avoided powdered-down birds since my immune system is compromised and I live with two senior citizens with health problems. I leaned more towards macaws because they have less dander than other parrots, but ultimately I ended up with a Vasa, which is an Old World parrot. However, he is not dusty in the slightest, so I feel I lucked out. I would've loved to adopt a cockatoo, but I just couldn't take the risk of my health taking a nosedive and forcing me to spend less time with a powder-down bird. I believe Eclectus and Pionus are good for those with sensitive immune systems, but I'm not 100% certain.
Since you already have a powder-down species, I would just up the cleanliness and give baths frequently to reduce your risks of having complications because of your bird. An air purifier would work wonders, I believe.
It can absolutely be accomplished if you stay on top of everything. Along with my own ailments, my bird was also neglected, and is special needs, but ensuring he has everything he needs actually makes my day a lot more fulfilling, and I find it to be very therapeutic when you care for another creature that depends on you. My condition will never be cured, and has gradually worsened over the years, but I'm making the most of today and doing my best to provide a home for those who depend on me daily. You can do it! It won't always be easy, but in the end, there is no better reward than seeing those beady eyes eagerly waiting to greet you in the morning.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
first off.......welcome Madison and thank you for sharing some of your personal painful history with us. Unless you feel like your illnesses are quite debilitating and render you unable to care for yourself or a pet, I think looking out after and caring for something/somebody else, always helps take your mind off yourself and overall helps you to feel better. I struggle with depression and I know that when I am busy taking care of my birds and my dogs, I always feel much better. My birds and my dogs are like therapy animals to me. I know there will be many different suggestions for birds for you by members here, I love my Lovebird boys and to me they are just perfect. Easy to care for and I have never been comfortable around larger birds, but that is just me. Good luck with your research and decision and share with us your progress and questions.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
:bluhug:

I can sympathize so much! I also suffer from a number of health issues, and on my bad days, I literally can't care for myself. But, I've found ways to make having bird(s) work anyway. Some of the things I do:

- Cage is set up right next to the couch. So even on my worst days, I can reach over and open up the cage for them to come out with me.
- On my so-so days, I have had play stands/gyms closer to where I normally sit so we can play and interact while I'm doing whatever.​

- Pre-prepared and frozen chop! I give fresh chop/veggies whenever possible, but for my bad days, I have frozen chop that I froze in silicone ice cube trays in single-serving size, then dumped into freezer bags. This way no matter how bad I feel, I can make sure my babies get good (nearly) fresh foods. You can even find already-frozen "riced" veggies suitable for teeny tiny guys like my parrotlet that makes prep a breeze!
- Pre-cooked and frozen beans, grains, etc. make it easier to provide lots of variety in a batch of chop even when I'm "up to" making fresh.​

- Making sure to paper-towel-coat any area likely to receive lots of mess (poo). Much easier to remove a sheet of paper towel than to clean the entire cage bottom, or having to get out sanitizer and scrubbies for perch/stand bottoms.

ETA: They definitely make my life better. Even when I can't play with my fid(s) much, just being able to watch their antics lifts my spirits, and it gets me up when I might not have just for myself.

Last edited:

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
I too have a painful auto immune disorder, insomnia grr..should be asleep now.

I have canaries. I have found on my worst days they brighten it and it is always a treat to say hello to my aviary. They greet me in their cute ways and are always busy up to something. Very relaxing and therapeutic to watch. I do have 2 flight cages inside to.

One of my hens called Toffee has one leg and has an adapted cage with wide platforms. She does well considering. She is happy so Im happy.

I have everything set up at a comfortable height. I do find that if I keep moving, it helps. I spoil my birds and they get everything they need. On my bad days I still put one foot in front of the other and get on with it..my autoimmune disorder will not rule me..quite simply my canaries keep me going, motivated and active.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
There is always a need for people willing to take on a special needs bird. it could be great for both of you. I don't know where you are but if you check on line for a parrot rescue, bird club, wildlife center they may have birds that have issues that need a home. Special needs animals are hard to place. I would stick with a smaller bird because they require smaller cages, less of most things, easier for you to care for.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome to AA. I will not go into the medical problems with my old body. May i suggest Cockatiel? They are sweet adorable birds. If you are lucky enough to get a male they will sing and whistle for you. They are ok as a single bird if you give them lots of attention.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Tbh, my birds are helping me through my depression. They're really the only things getting me out of bed before noon.

I second tiels, but lovebirds are also a good option, imho. They're sturdy, not afraid to shout at you if they need something, and are just too danged fun.

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
Thank you all so much for your help and support. I have a friend with a cockatiel and it is very sweet and funny and I would also be interested in caring for lovebirds, I'll look into some species that aren't as dusty as well. Our current birdie hates bathtime but I think she's starting to understand that mamma feels better when she has a clean bird, lol! I never thought about the frozen produce before, so next run to the grocery store I know what's gonna be on my list! I'm definitely a fresh produce gal (grew up on a farm and was always getting fruits and veggies fresh) but the frozen stuff is easier and quicker to prepare for sure! Just wanted everyone to know that the positivity in this thread is overwhelming and definitely made me feel a lot better. You are all right, having something else to care for sure does take your mind off your own woes. Thanks again!!!:grouphug2:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm a special needs human (lol) with all sorts of fun mood, anxiety and psychotic disorders alongside physical injuries, and I actually take tremendous joy in taking on special needs animals.
Most of my kids are rescues, and many are physically impaired or suffer psychological trauma. They're shining beacons in my life, and I try to be the same for them. It's like we're all broken souls coming together to feel a little closer to whole.

There are days, definitely, where anhedonia and pain and all sorts of other garbage make me want to do nothing more productive than blink, and when I was younger I did that a lot. Having everybody actually forces me to work through all that and do what I need to do for them, which in turn makes me feel a little less awful.
I just force myself to remember that they're suffering too, and that they depend on me. I can give up on myself, but not on them.

I'm actually so many leagues better than I used to be because of them. I'm actually happy now! I smile and I laugh and I get out of bed like someone out of a Nyquil commercial. It's amazing. :D

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm a special needs human (lol) with all sorts of fun mood, anxiety and psychotic disorders alongside physical injuries, and I actually take tremendous joy in taking on special needs animals.
Most of my kids are rescues, and many are physically impaired or suffer psychological trauma. They're shining beacons in my life, and I try to be the same for them. It's like we're all broken souls coming together to feel a little closer to whole.

There are days, definitely, where anhedonia and pain and all sorts of other garbage make me want to do nothing more productive than blink, and when I was younger I did that a lot. Having everybody actually forces me to work through all that and do what I need to do for them, which in turn makes me feel a little less awful.
I just force myself to remember that they're suffering too, and that they depend on me. I can give up on myself, but not on them.

I'm actually so many leagues better than I used to be because of them. I'm actually happy now! I smile and I laugh and I get out of bed like someone out of a Nyquil commercial. It's amazing. :D
PREACH!!!

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
:bluhug:

- Cage is set up right next to the couch. So even on my worst days, I can reach over and open up the cage for them to come out with me.
- On my so-so days, I have had play stands/gyms closer to where I normally sit so we can play and interact while I'm doing whatever.​

- Pre-prepared and frozen chop! I give fresh chop/veggies whenever possible, but for my bad days, I have frozen chop that I froze in silicone ice cube trays in single-serving size, then dumped into freezer bags. This way no matter how bad I feel, I can make sure my babies get good (nearly) fresh foods. You can even find already-frozen "riced" veggies suitable for teeny tiny guys like my parrotlet that makes prep a breeze!
- Pre-cooked and frozen beans, grains, etc. make it easier to provide lots of variety in a batch of chop even when I'm "up to" making fresh.​

- Making sure to paper-towel-coat any area likely to receive lots of mess (poo). Much easier to remove a sheet of paper towel than to clean the entire cage bottom, or having to get out sanitizer and scrubbies for perch/stand bottoms.
I think all of this is great advice. Bags of frozen veggies can do in a pinch, or simple things like microwavable brown rice, a few berries, an egg etc. I'd also say training them to use a water bottle like a hamster style one, that way you don't have to change out dirty water as often. Just gotta check in to make sure they haven't shoved too many seeds up in the spout, mine loved to do that so I had to clean the spout out every week.

I'm gonna throw my agreement in that Parrotlets are great for someone who sometimes has less energy and health ups and downs. They don't have a lot of dust or down. Their poop is small, they don't require huge food prep, since they eat less, you have to go out shopping for food less and they're really quite active and intelligent. Our single handreared parrotlet really bonded with us a lot and was quite an attentive and clingy companion. The only big issue with them is having to be more careful with your household safety. Never keep them out without supervision because they're tiny, they can get hurt easily. But you can get a nice big cage, give them a fair number of toys, and just keep it near your usually sitting area, so even on your bad days, if you can't do much more than give them their food and don't have time or strength to take them out that day, they still get to sit and watch movies with you or whatnot :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I think all of this is great advice. Bags of frozen veggies can do in a pinch, or simple things like microwavable brown rice, a few berries, an egg etc. I'd also say training them to use a water bottle like a hamster style one, that way you don't have to change out dirty water as often. Just gotta check in to make sure they haven't shoved too many seeds up in the spout, mine loved to do that so I had to clean the spout out every week.

I'm gonna throw my agreement in that Parrotlets are great for someone who sometimes has less energy and health ups and downs. They don't have a lot of dust or down. Their poop is small, they don't require huge food prep, since they eat less, you have to go out shopping for food less and they're really quite active and intelligent. Our single handreared parrotlet really bonded with us a lot and was quite an attentive and clingy companion. The only big issue with them is having to be more careful with your household safety. Never keep them out without supervision because they're tiny, they can get hurt easily. But you can get a nice big cage, give them a fair number of toys, and just keep it near your usually sitting area, so even on your bad days, if you can't do much more than give them their food and don't have time or strength to take them out that day, they still get to sit and watch movies with you or whatnot :)
Even with a hamster style water bottle, I would wash it thoroughly every day.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Even with a hamster style water bottle, I would wash it thoroughly every day.
Ideally? Yeah. But this is basically advice for someone who may or may not be physically or mentally able to do as much reliably daily, and having a water source that won't get contaminated with poop and such 1-2 times a day is good. Having issues that can flare up worse without warning, yet being able to know your bird still has clean water to drink, is the goal.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would go for a water bowl, the bottom of those bottels could start growing bacteria. You can put SS cups in the dishwasher:) That way you take one, throw water out, put in dishwasher and get a new one to fill:)
I have bipolar disorder and my birds have been the reason I stayed alive at times. They are my joy and my babies, I would never ever give them up. They helped me so, so much! On days where I can’t get up, a bird flying to your shoulder and pushing his beak against your face for scritches, changes my mood even in the slightest. Not having enough energy to care for me is okay, but not having enough energy to care for these pretty creatures that endlessly love me is a nono so I get up:) I would adopt, caring for my abused cockatiel was so amazing especially because we both had mental issues. My two other birds are adopted as well but don’t have any mental scars left, one did have a biting issue when he came to me and the other one adapted so well you would never have guessed he was in a hamster cage before after he was home for a couple minutes. Adopt a bird you connect with, if you can handle the noise and expense:)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Both of my birds have three water dishes each, so that I can swap out the bowls when they get food in them or dirty it up. Your animals count on you to provide for their needs.