• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Health risk of doggie kisses

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I think my dog would go crazy if we didn't let her lick us! She'd get so sad. Her favorite thing to do is lick her humans (and her paws, and her bed, and the floor, and her toys..) and even though I get weird rashes from her licking sometimes I deal because I know she loves me :heart: As long as she doesn't stick her snoot in my mouth (and believe me, she's tried. Full snoot. in my mouth. I don't think she understands what "personal space" is...) I'll let her lick if it'll make her happy. :)

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Birds don't understand why they shouldn't reach in your mouth to take food, cats don't understand why pregnant women preferably shouldn't be changing their litter boxes, and dogs don't understand why they shouldn't lick all over people. It's up to people to make those boundaries for everyone's health but realistically this doesn't always happen. Depends on the person and the situation.

But to put it in perspective, raw meat shouldn't be left on top of ready to eat foods just in case. How many people do you think really organize their fridge by least risk of contamination? I have a thermometer in fridge, how many other people do?

:)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I remember learning about the how to organize a fridge properly in a food safety class :) I'm a vegetarian so when I was living on my own I didn't worry about meat. But living with my parents I try move the meat down and I'm always first to put food away. I can barely remember all the facts but certain things stuck with me :)

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I personally do not like my dogs licking me, especially not in the face BUT with that being said, most bacteria in the dogs mouth cannot hurt you as a human. I actually raw feed my dogs so you'd think we'd be at higher risk for salmonella and such. I'm also pregnant which the article warns. I am not at all worried about getting salmonella from my dogs. Its most certainly possible but a few people in some of the raw feeding communities I'm in did research and its much more likely I'll pick up salmonella from another source than even my dog that just had a raw meal.

I do agree boundaries are super necessary tho with any animal but just because of this bacteria can be there I don't think its a reason to run in fear. I personally don't thing birds and dogs should interact anyways lol!