• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Health Check?

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Hi! I'll be rescuing a cockatiel or two in the future, and am totally paranoid about making sure it/they can live life to the fullest, and be healthy. Any tips on how to give a regular health check? For Example, how much should they weigh? And when I should be performing this health check, how I should be performing this health check, or if it's even necessary to be doing one. Thanks!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm excited to hear all about your new bird! You should take your new cockatiel to an avian vet for a check up soon after you bring her home. The vet should be able to go over the ideal weight (75-110 grams) for your particular bird, what they should eat (seeds, pellets, veggies, grains, etc.), how much sleep a night (12 hours), and any other questions you might have about their care. Also, never use any teflon coated household items, no perfume, candles, air fresheners, harsh cleaning products, etc. around your bird. How old is the cockatiel you will be getting?

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
@Tiel Feathers Hi! I can't wait to share my new companion(s) with everyone! Sadly though, we'll still have to wait awhile for the new addition to the family, because of the fumes and dust particles from current renovations. :sad11: I've certainly been anticipating their arrival, though. I'm not exactly sure the age of the cockatiel we'll be interested in, but I think we're looking for a younger one that we can be with for quite a long time. They really are my favourite parrot, I mean, who could possibly dislike such an adorable and genuine creature?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Checking the keel bone is good way to see if a tiel is over or under weight as weight can differ a lot depending on the size of the tiel. For instance, my tiel was little and only weighted 74 grams but my vet said it was a good weight for his size. Other tiels can weigh 120 grams. A big difference. Once you know what a good weight for your tiel is you can get a small scale to weigh him/her to make sure the weight is being maintained, as weight loss is often a sign of illness. I weighed me tiel every couple weeks. Some do it weekly, others monthly. A yearly vet check is always a good idea too.

Keelbone-ILLUS-2.jpg Photo by Mousebirds-and-more | Photobucket

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
@sunnysmom okay, thank you! I'm very glad I already own a scale that measures in grams! Thanks for the advice on the keel bone!