• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hawks?

Bulldogs&Birds

Meeting neighbors
I was just wondering, is it safe to bring Ricky outside with all the hawks around? It’s starting to get warmer, and I would like to take Ricky out on our walks with the dog. We live in a suburb neighborhood way up north in Wisconsin, but we are in the middle of nowhere. There are hawks wherever you go though. He would probably be on my shoulder the whole time though. Thanks!

(Ricky has been a lot of fun and adapted great to his new home with us!:D)
upload_2019-3-16_13-42-31.jpeg

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I wouldn't risk it. Another member here, had her bird, (about the size of yours) taken right off her shoulder when having her bird outside. Her tragedy convinced me that hawks will stop at nothing, not even the presence of a human being being so close by, to get a meal. And your area seems to have an overabundance of hawks, which makes it even more risky.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
:bignono:
I wouldn't risk it. Another member here, had her bird, (about the size of yours) taken right off her shoulder when having her bird outside. Her tragedy convinced me that hawks will stop at nothing, not even the presence of a human being being so close by, to get a meal. And your area seems to have an overabundance of hawks, which makes it even more risky.
:iagree:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Like @CrazyBirdChick said they make carriers like this so you can go on walks safely. Just do a google search they have different brands in a range of prices. Many members have them and may be able to give you a good review on one. BIRDS & PARROTS - Bird Carriers - Pak-o-Bird - Celltei

You could also set up a cage outside so that he could get some sun, one that you could sit by with him.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I get the occasional hawk in my area. I go inside immediately if dex is with me. Buggers will go for big bird s too

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I've had hawks take chickens right out of the coop before. I have a steel roof over run, run is 25 feet x 15 feet, covered and has 8 foot fence all the way around. Have a screened door to run.
I've recently had a hawk come down and actually manage to get inside run, then proceed to go inside the coop where they nest!!! Grab one chicken and ate it inside!
The other day, was in my garage/pole barn, and a hawk flew out over my head out of garage!
This time or year , winter and early spring is a bad time for hawks. Summer is not so bad, but come fall they are very active again.