• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HawkHead

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Sharon, are you familiar with the use of positive reinforcement techniques when working with a bird? If you decide to get this gal Hawkie, I highly recommend this approach to training her. You can make amazing progress with this process and I think with Hawkheaded Parrots, it is truly essential. This means backing away as soon as they exhibit any discomfort with you and building up their trust in you. I have been raising several Amazons and various other small to medium sized parrots along with two HHs this past year and can say that the HHs are worlds apart from the others as to how I handle them. HHs are very sensitive, loving, loyal beings. They are in a class all their own based on the two juveniles I've been working with. Just my 2 cents.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sharon, are you familiar with the use of positive reinforcement techniques when working with a bird? If you decide to get this gal Hawkie, I highly recommend this approach to training her. You can make amazing progress with this process and I think with Hawkheaded Parrots, it is truly essential. This means backing away as soon as they exhibit any discomfort with you and building up their trust in you. I have been raising several Amazons and various other small to medium sized parrots along with two HHs this past year and can say that the HHs are worlds apart from the others as to how I handle them. HHs are very sensitive, loving, loyal beings. They are in a class all their own based on the two juveniles I've been working with. Just my 2 cents.
I agree 100% :) Positive reinforcement training with these guys is wonderful. they are VERY smart and enjoy learning new things too. It really is important not to push a HH when its not comfortable.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly

There is also nothing wrong with letting a bird be a bird. If they are happy and healthy with little or no human interaction, then I think it is fine to let them live that way :)
I agree 100%. We have some that simply prefer to relate to their own kind and not their human keepers. I love them as much as any others and I enjoy just watching them be birds. It's A-OK with me.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I wouldn't mind letting a bird be a bird, if that's what it wanted. It certainly would at least alleviate the panic I feel when I'm trying to assess what I'd be comfortable with, in regards to aggression.

I've just received another email...I answered this ad on Kijiji, St.Johns. Address was listed as St.Johns. This is in Newfoundland and is a four hour drive from where I am. Now, the guy tells me he's actually in Toronto, Ontario...and he would have to ship the bird. I'm done with this, now....

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I've just received another email...I answered this ad on Kijiji, St.Johns. Address was listed as St.Johns. This is in Newfoundland and is a four hour drive from where I am. Now, the guy tells me he's actually in Toronto, Ontario...and he would have to ship the bird. I'm done with this, now....
It's a good thing you decided this way. I checked the GTO kijiji ads - there is no HH listed. The seller is located in Ontario and doesn't have a HH ad running in the kijiji GTO region but is posting halfway across the country?? Sounds strange to me. Could be a scam.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
He was listed on Kijiji Toronto this AM...that's odd. I'll check it again. I've actually been emailing back and forth all afternoon. The guy is a breeder in Ontario...mostly Amazons, Rosebreasted Cockatoos...He has a tame Blue headed Pionus for sale, for $750. I'm not jumping into anything, but he did say references were supplied upon request. He's been very helpful, and suggested that the Hawkhead may not be a good choice for me...plus I don't want to spend that kind of money on a non tame bird that I haven't met.

here's the link...I hope I'm not breaking any rules...The guy said his wife posted the ad in St. Johns

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-birds-for-sale-Female-Hawkhead-for-Sale-Breeder-W0QQAdIdZ187009203

Last edited:

TITANIS

OK, I think know who he is. He lost the male last summer because he flew off, IIRC. If it's the same breeder, I have communicated with him and he has sold birds to people on this forum. He should have a male YSA available hatched in April of '07 (or sometime in spring). However, this bird apparently isn't tame either. YSAs make very good companions, but it boils down to what you are looking for. HH are definitely much more exotic.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I have a name...Terry...and he's in Acton, Ontario. Seems like a nice guy.

TITANIS

I have a name...Terry...and he's in Acton, Ontario. Seems like a nice guy.
Yes, it's the same person. He is indeed a very nice guy and quite knowledgeable. It's very unfortunate what happened to his male HH breeder, but the bird was fully flighted and accidents happen...

I don't have any recommendations for you regarding the female. If she's not tame she should ideally go to a breeder looking for a female. Funny thing is, there was a someone looking for a female a month or two ago because he lost his female HH breeder. Don't know if these two breeders ever communicated but it sounds like they could have helped one another. He's selling his female of 15 years for $2500 and the other breeder was selling his male of 10 years for $2700. No guarantee of successful breeding though, and there's always a possibility the birds won't like each other.

On a side note, I don't know how I missed his ad; I even did a search for hawkhead. :confused:

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Well, I'm just glad it was legitimate...I thought it odd that there was Hawkhead for sale here. I may consider the BH Pionus that he's selling...and I may just be content with what I have. This need for more birds should pass, shouldn't it????:rolleyes1::shocked4::budgie2::sun::gal2::budgie::sm::ekkiem::goldielkt::ekkief::rosbor::rla:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I'm just glad it was legitimate...I thought it odd that there was Hawkhead for sale here. I may consider the BH Pionus that he's selling...and I may just be content with what I have. This need for more birds should pass, shouldn't it????:rolleyes1::shocked4::budgie2::sun::gal2::budgie::sm::ekkiem::goldielkt::ekkief::rosbor::rla:
Hi Sharon, we have a couple of HHs and totally understand your desire to add one to your flock. I think your want to add a HH may pass and even the desire to home a BH Pinus. Love the birds you have, I am sure there will be an opportunity in the future. :hug8:

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi Sharon. I am the one who rehomed an adult HH. He was in a terrible situation before coming to my home. If you'd like, read his story here. It is on pg 3~
http://forums.avianavenue.com/hawkhead-trail/264-cochise-loves-here.html
I was told he was three, but after taking him a couple times to my CAV, I learned he was born in 95{according to the band we cut off his leg}
He is a wonderful, intelligent bird, like all HH's it seems, they have an 'extra' sense or awareness. I think they understand fully..kindness vs.cruelty. Cochise is such a joy, each and every day now. He knows he is in a safe, and loving place. I have given him the time he needed to feel comfortable enough to be touched. At first, he was terrified. Now he adores me, and I do him. I still do things like pick him up on his terms. Even if he wants to gets away from a situation initially, in a few moments he will come toward me, and I fully believe he understands language. For example, I will put Sheba and Holly back in their cages first when I need to. With Cochise, all I have to do is tell him I need him to go into his cage, and after a few minutes he knows to go in. We have made huge strides in just under a years time. I love him dearly.:heart:
Here are some of the wonderful things that we have accomplished together.:)
http://forums.avianavenue.com/hawkhead-trail/2511-huge-milestone-woohoo.html
http://forums.avianavenue.com/hawkhead-trail/12520-another-huge-milestone-cochise.html

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Thank you, Carole...What a heartwarming story. Cochise is a very lucky bird to have found you! Hawkheads are so, so beautiful!:heart: Lucky you!

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Just out of curiousity...who am I kidding...what would you guys consider to be a fair offer for this untamed 15yr old bird...listed for $2500 or best offer? I'm really just thinking still, and haven't decided anything....It's more than I wanted to spend, plus I have to pay shipping, and buy a large cage...

TITANIS

Just out of curiousity...who am I kidding...what would you guys consider to be a fair offer for this untamed 15yr old bird...listed for $2500 or best offer? I'm really just thinking still, and haven't decided anything....It's more than I wanted to spend, plus I have to pay shipping, and buy a large cage...
How many pages do you want my thoughts on this matter to be, LOL? I can inform you what you should or shouldn't pay for a HH, and I'm probably going to receive varying reactions to my opinions from agreement to diametric opposition, but I don't care. No one can deny the truth.

Some people strongly believe that this species merits a high cost of admission because of it's different appearance and unique character. There is no other parrot like a HH and I will not argue that point because it's valid and confirmed by many owners. I agree to a very large extent, but reality dictates boundaries to every paradigm in both a temporal and practical sense, and within every sphere of life. There is also the law of diminishing returns which is universal and inviolable; and if a HH is valued $3500 from a breeder, is it also worth $5000 from store plus the 12-15% tax?? Somewhere, at some point, a line has to be drawn or we reward the excesses and egregious practices that has nearly led the world to economic ruin, not to mention the capture of countless creatures from their ravaged natural habitats to support it. :sad1: :sad8:

You're probably like me and cannot budget the cost of a small baby bird priced $3000-$3500 from a breeder. When one figures the cost of a cage over here that a HH will require, you need to add another $800-$1000 and that's a bare minimum unless you can find a good deal. In effect, we are looking at roughly $4000-$4500 before taxes for a baby bird and cage. Or, $3000-$3500 if you decide on the 15-year old breeder hen. Then we need to talk about toys, food, vet costs, etc. For all you American folks the Canadian and American dollars are nearly at par and have been for some time. ;)

The bird you are looking at and the birds I have seen for rehoming or being sold as breeders over the years, are not priced for much less than what babies are being sold for, despite their age (unlike in the US). So, it is better IMO to reserve a baby from a breeder and just pay the extra amount. With a well socialized baby, you are likely not going to require an extensive taming period for the bird. If the difference is truly beyond your budget, then your only recourse is to wait for the time you can afford the cost, otherwise buy the second-hand bird (with all it entails).

What I need to emphasize here since I see this come up often in threads of prospective owners, is to budget oneself for the next several years of parrot ownership. Do not consider the immediate future only, think more long-term. If the continual expenses for taking care of a bird becomes untenable or borderline over a period spanning the next couple of years, I would not acquire an expensive bird that will take most of my budget solely for its purchase price.

Were I looking for a bird, I would follow a rough guideline that whatever the cost of the bird is to buy, will be required in addition for the next couple of years just for ongoing expenses in its care, and an emergency fund in case something unforeseen transpires. This is what the actual budget is for any animal, not just birds. :)

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Thank you! That all makes good sense. I'm actually in a position where we are retired, child raised, educated and settled. We've planned well for retirement, and basically I can afford to now have a little fun. It would be so much easier if birds were fun for both of us, but Hubby has his own hobbies. I just need to decide if that HH will be enough fun to warrant spending that kind of money...LOL!

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Thank you! That all makes good sense. I'm actually in a position where we are retired, child raised, educated and settled. We've planned well for retirement, and basically I can afford to now have a little fun. It would be so much easier if birds were fun for both of us, but Hubby has his own hobbies. I just need to decide if that HH will be enough fun to warrant spending that kind of money...LOL!
What traits in a parrot companion are you looking for? I know I and many here have pretty broad experience with various species and maybe we can help you with your search.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
If this female is not actually pet quality, then you may and probably will have a tough time if you intend on trying to make a pet out of her. If she was once a pet to someone and has been handled enough at some point, there are possibilites of taming her somewhat.

Pricing on Hawk Heads I always thought that because of their rarity their price does hold a higher value. Even though there are now breeders who are breeding them and producing babies as you all can plainly see that is what is bringing the price down somewhat. I had bought my Hawk Head Parrot Chester for $900. 4 years ago and he was 6 years old at the time and it was in Northern California from a gal who was selling a pair of Coral Billed Pionus... those guys I paid $1,500 for them but she was selling Chester and had a female and wanted to keep the female and why she exactly no longer wanted Chester I am not sure. I think she was a little untrusting with him maybe. But when I found out she had this male (Chester, which I named him) I went with the intentions of buying him so I was prepared to bring him home with me. My intentions was that I was going to breed him once I find a female but in learning more about them, nesting situations have to be just right and they can be known to kill their mate. Chester can certainly be quite loud often.

I love having Chester he is certainly a wonderful Hawk Head but he is a bit timid and pretty different from what I thought he would be. Everyone who sees him here in person is just amazed at how they look.

Anyway, you'd maybe be better off to put your money into a younger hand fed for that price if you are wanting a true hand fed and companion. At least one that is tame and has been handled all along.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Thanks...I tend to agree...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.