• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HawkHead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I found this ad this AM...I assume that taming would be difficult?

I have a female Hawkhead parrot to sell to a good breeding home. She has had eggs and is not tame. Blood sexing test is done. Her leg is banded. Feathers are in good shape and I am asking $2500 or best offer.

(Sorry but any low baller offers not close to the amount I'm asking will get deleted without a reply)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I won't comment on the taming part, but will say that unless you are talking about somewhere other than the US, that price is way above what they typically sell for.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I would not pay that amount or anywhere near it unless I needed a breeder female and there were no others around for a better price.

Weaned, tame baby H.H.s can be purchased in my area for about $1500 - $1700.

ParrotHead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey
I would not pay that amount or anywhere near it unless I needed a breeder female and there were no others around for a better price.

Weaned, tame baby H.H.s can be purchased in my area for about $1500 - $1700.
Completely agree!
Yikes, if thats US price, that's crazy.

I can't imagine what it'd be like to tame a HH if they were not already. :eek: Could be an interesting process.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I've only seen prices like that in Canada where someone in my area was selling a 10 year-old male wild-caught breeder for $2700. The seller should lower their price by at least $1000 since this ad is in the US. I wouldn't deal with this person regardless. The general tone of the ad is an instant put-off. Besides, why spend $1000 more for a breeder when you can get a weaned baby that has been well socialized shipped to you? There's a male baby HH that is available from a very reputable breeder and the price IIRC is about $1450.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I'm in Canada...Newfoundland, to be exact. Our prices seem to be a lot more than what most of you are used to...

TITANIS

I'm in Canada...Newfoundland, to be exact. Our prices seem to be a lot more than what most of you are used to...
Then that is a going price and cheaper than what a breeder typically sells babies for ($3500). Do you want a breeder bird?

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I assume that this is a bird that the owner has not socialized well...there are no breeders in Newfoundland, other than Budgies, Lovebirds, Cockateils and such. I don't want to breed. I was asking if taming would be very difficult.

TITANIS

I assume that this is a bird that the owner has not socialized well...there are no breeders in Newfoundland, other than Budgies, Lovebirds, Cockateils and such. I don't want to breed. I was asking if taming would be very difficult.
It's very hard to answer this question. I hope someone with HH breeding experience can respond here. A little bit of additional information about this bird could help. How old is this bird? How many years was she in a breeding situation and is she currently bonded to a male? Even in the best case scenario, you are looking at a lot of time and a major commitment to tame her. If she's wild caught, then don't even consider this bird as a possible companion.

My personal opinion is this: if you are thinking to spend $2500 on a breeder of questionable temperament, why not splurge the additional $500-$1000 and acquire a fully weaned baby that can be shipped to you?

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I'm beginning to think that is what I'll have to do. Rehoming a bird who needs it is beginning to seem like it's just not worth it. I still check ads every day...but there's really not much in this area. Thanks for your help!

TITANIS

I'm beginning to think that is what I'll have to do. Rehoming a bird who needs it is beginning to seem like it's just not worth it. I still check ads every day...but there's really not much in this area. Thanks for your help!
No problem. I've been looking for a HH rehome in Canada but it's like looking for a needle in an acre of haystacks. I see them about once a year but they are sold very quickly. Typical prices are $2000-$2500 for a rehome several years old. It's not worth the wait unless you are thinking in very long time-frames like I am, and don't care if it's this decade or next, LOL.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I did email the guy...she's 15, captive bred, but has not been tame for many years...I assume handling would probably be impossible.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would say if she was tame at one point it would be possible, but would likely require a lot of work an patience if she isnt tame now. They are intimidating when they are in velociraptor mode and a HH on a mission to get you, will get you. They are very determined in that respect. Is there any chance of meeting her first to see how she is?

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I could meet her, but it's a four hour drive one way...I have been "chatting" with the owner, and just got this info...I don't much care for his need to insist on no low offers...I haven't made any offer yet.

Hi
She is not tame, but I think she could be with some work and patients.
She is Closed Banded she was a hand fed baby at one time.
I don’t know her history prior to 4 or 5 years back.
She is a beautiful bird, she is now in a 9 foot long cage and loves to fly around she eats vary well aslo.
If still interested let me know.
Please no low offers or I will not respond.
Thank you

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess he means " no inappropriate low offers", from what I understand.. sometimes on the internet people can make very obnoxiously low offers.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
If it were me, I would ask if she has had a mate or even more than one. If so, I would want to know what has happened to her mate.

IMO, a bird that is used to the continuous company and interaction of a mate -- even if just as a playmate -- is less likely to be as happy as a companion animal where there are no others of her own kind. On the other hand, if she started out as a pet and was then placed into a breeding situation where she has not been happy, then she may very well thrive in a companionship role. Taming a HH is not for the faint of heart though.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would say that there is certainly hope for her, especially being handfed at one time. No doubt it would require work - any baby will likely be work at some point in its life (Cash has displayed some mild HH attitude but nothing too bad as of yet - he is 3yrs). They are sensitive and emotional in a way different from other birds. Like any bird, you have to go at their pace. Carole (waterfaller1) took in a rehome adult HH that wasnt tame and he has come a long way with her patience and love. They are incredible birds. I would say go for it only if you are comfortable working through what she may present to you. Its a long way to go for sure but certainly worth seeing her. Even if you passed on her it would give you an idea how they can be when they arent being sweet :p

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Thanks...Not for the faint of heart...I'd better research how bad it can be, first. I'd like to keep all my digits and skin!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not for the faint of heart at all, but they are easy to read at least :D The crest, stance and hissing are their way of saying back off. My vet had warned me in the beginning that they gave the worst bites he'd ever experienced. I am fortunate not to have recieved one yet but they are no laughing matter when they want to get you ;) One time I was preening cash and had gotten too close to a new feather (so it was very sensitive) and boy he let me know it. I had pulled away but he ran up and bit me, he was MAD that I had hurt him and there wasnt any sorry that would cut it, he had to let me know, lol.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I had a similar situation with my Mitchell's Lorikeet, Priscilla. He (yes Prissy was a boy but I did not know that until after he died) was handfed but one of his owners paired him with a hen to attempt to raise some babies. His mate eventually died and his owner did not handle him very much at all.

When I got him he was pretty much untame, however after a long time he eventually allowed me to handle him- but it took over a year and it was always on his terms.

He was friendlier at places like the vet or in a "strange" room in the house. Of course that was because I was the only familiar thing in the room.

I let him be a bird. He paired up (willingly) with my Jenday Conure and they lived together happily for a couple of years- until Priscilla died.

So, the point of my long story is that it is possible to "retame" a bird but it can take a lot of time and patience- a lot of time and a lot of patience, as Jill and others have mentioned.

It is also possible to tame a "wild" adult bird, but it can take even longer and even more patience.

There is also nothing wrong with letting a bird be a bird. If they are happy and healthy with little or no human interaction, then I think it is fine to let them live that way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.