• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

having more then two parrotlets...

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
does it work?

i have a pair (they live in a double cage, but are breeding atm and are now living together) and if they have babies (this is their first nest) i would love to keep one chick. i'm scared that this can cause problems. i have heard that parrotlets can be very jealous towards other birds and their mate. would it be possible to keep a third bird? or would this only cause problems?
I don't have the possibility to place a cage in another room. They all have to live in the livingroom together.
i was thinking about 2 double cages on top of each other, so that only two birds can see each other.
the other bird (or 2 birds ) will be in the double cage on top of the others.

can multiple parrotlets have out of cage time together? or would it be a problem having multiple parrotlets living in the same room? even if they can't see but can only hear each other.

i won't like to live in a house with agressive screaming parrotlets around all day. I want what is best for my current birds, and the chick. maybe the chick would also need a mate, so that he won't be an outsider.
please help and give some advice!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
Parrotlets are notoriously bad at playing well with others. The baby would need plenty of space to get away from the parents, because they will likely chase it around once it fledges. I would get it its own cage and hopefully it would be ok.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
i have a pair (they live in a double cage, but are breeding atm and are now living together) and if they have babies (this is their first nest) i would love to keep one chick. i'm scared that this can cause problems.
Two's company. Three's a crowd. This bird is an offspring. They don't stay with their parents once grown.

Sex and breeding are not the same thing. They can can sex all they want. That doesn't mean they need to breed. All you have to do replace the eggs with fakes should they lay any.

www.dummyeggs.com