• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hate-love relationship of my lovebirds

Karaya

Sitting on the front steps
Hello everybody!
I’m new owner of 2 cute lovebirds. They are about 8 months old and I have them since 2 weeks. One male and one female (at least thats what shop owner said), both untamed so far. Since start they are together in one cage. Most of the time they’re very happy and loving towards each other. They are preening each other, eating together and stay together outside the cage. I even caught them mating one time. Since few days I noticed the male one attacking the female. He starts with biting her feet and sometimes area around her beak. It lasts usually about half minute and then everything is back to normal. Today I’ve notice another fight but it seemed a bit more aggressive this time. Should I separate them for some time? How can I fix their behavior?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Strange you see the male attacking the female.
I would consider sexing them so you know for sure.

As for the fighting, a little bickering (this sometimes includes toe nipping) is normal, but if it is more than that, I would recommend a second cage, you can place them side by side. Or a double flight cage with a divider you can put in and take out so they can have some time together in the cage.
  • Mcage Large Double Flight Bird Wrought Iron Double Cage w/Slide Out Divider 3 Levels Bird Parrot Cage Cockatiel Conure Bird Cage 63" Lx19 Dx64 H W/Stand on Wheels something like this;

Karaya

Sitting on the front steps
Strange you see the male attacking the female.
I would consider sexing them so you know for sure.

As for the fighting, a little bickering (this sometimes includes toe nipping) is normal, but if it is more than that, I would recommend a second cage, you can place them side by side. Or a double flight cage with a divider you can put in and take out so they can have some time together in the cage.
This cage is absolutely lovely! So far it’s nothing more than bickering, but it looks like it’s getting more aggressive. Currently I have 2 cages, one big and one small. I’m only using the big one, the other one is just in case of travel.
I’m gonna observe them for few more days, if it gets worse I’m going to get another cage. And about sexing, I’m definitely going to do it as soon as I get a chance!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How big is their cage? A spacey cage can sometimes be all it takes.

Be sure you have no nests or beds, tubes, nooks etc

Another consideration.... You say you have had these since two weeks old? Are they siblings? As they are hitting sexual maturity, they could be realising that they are not compatible. This happens more with siblings, but not always.