• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone here harness trained?

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I don't plan on doing it anytime soon, but just for a future thought. Has anyone here harness trained a parrotlet? I'm noticing Ollie to be very calm with my placing my hands around his head/neck (not hard but hovering). Often I find him more at ease with my fingers surrounding his head, than with just one coming towards his face. He's beginning to allow for more scritches now, and seems to be a little less bitey (fingers crossed.)

Is it possible to harness train such a little guy? And has anyone here done it? Recommendations/Concerns Needed! Thanks everyone. :)

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I'm not sure if the harnesses go small enough for the real littles. Mine is petite or xs and is small Conure/tiel sized.

With such small light bodies even an aviator might be too cumbersome/heavy.

I'm sure someone who knows for sure will be along soon.

maddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Malene
You can try Avian Fashion, they do various kinds of harnesses and flight suits. Here is their size chart Avian Fashions: Size Chart

I'm not entirely sure I like birds to wear hoodies and santa outfits and all that, but hey, not my business really. I would love to be able to put a harness on my lovie and take him outside. I don't think he will like it much, though.

Last edited:

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather
They don't make harnesses small enough for p'lets. Otherwise I'd have had pickles harness trained ages ago. I do plan on buying an flight suit for Honey in the summer but she's 3x Pickles size.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
They don't make harnesses small enough for p'lets. Otherwise I'd have had pickles harness trained ages ago. I do plan on buying an flight suit for Honey in the summer but she's 3x Pickles size.
According to Avian Fashions they make a flight suit for P'lets.

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather
i'm not one to waste money on a maybe. i know my preferred pet store doesn't carry harnesses and flight suits that are his size. but that's ok.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
i'm not one to waste money on a maybe. i know my preferred pet store doesn't carry harnesses and flight suits that are his size. but that's ok.
Oh I know. I had seen someone put a flight suit on a p'let before, wonder if I can find it again. Hold on. :D

However, the poor bird in the video is severely under kept. :( Her beak is mighty long.

maddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Malene
You can look up the entries by Picaroon The Lovebird on this forum and on Facebook, she wears both flight suits and harnesses, and even if her human Mom says that she doesn't like it much, she doesn't look like she's bothered a lot by it.

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Well that's.. interesting. Odd because she's selling it on a Wedding site. Wish there was more of a picture that showed off it being put on/taken off. Not even sure when the last time that site was updated. xD!

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
I got a flight suit for a budgie I had once.
It was too large for her (smallest size available) and too heavy/large for her to fly in. She got her feet caught on the front often because it was a little too big and when she raised her foot to walk the front covered them up. She also mostly refused to move because of the weight and probably difficulty regarding her feet getting caught.
I imagine parrolets to be around the same size, as they are one of the smallest parrots. (Smaller for the shorter tail?)

Though I suppose it could have just been her personality that made her refuse to move/fly. And perhaps it could be "taken-in" a little if it is a little large on a parrotlet too.
Just figured I'd share.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
@Tinta p'lets are actually smaller than budgies believe it or not.
Discounting the parakeet tail they seem very close, body style is shorter but wider. Like the difference in a small poi and a ringneck.

Edit: I would expect some problems with the smallest flightsuit, for the very small size is all I really mean though. :shy: