• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone ever....

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Has anyone ever trained their fids not to take off their glasses? Echo is constanting going after mine, I'd like him to stop. But I wonder if it's a fool's errand to try. He will sort of stop or at least not do it as much if he senses I've had enough. I'll tell him "Nooo!" or "That's not nice!" One time I told him "you know I don't like that." And he said "I know" :rolleyes:

It's not a huge problem and for the most part I can't complain because he is a really good bird most of the time. But I wonder has anyone been successful? I have my doubts but I've been wrong before, so I thought I'd ask:cantsee:

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Rocky would always try to get my glasses, I would give him something else to play with, yea that lasted about 3 seconds. I started putting my hand up & over the bows to deter him. he would run across the back of my shoulders to get the other side. I think it's because they can see themselves in metal frames.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well in your case it has already evolved into a rewarding experience for Echo. So as long you are wearing glasses and react in any way "now" (because you have been), the battle has been lost and the reward given.

You can not expect a behaviour to change without changing the antecedent.

No glasses. No situation.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Rocky would always try to get my glasses, I would give him something else to play with, yea that lasted about 3 seconds. I started putting my hand up & over the bows to deter him. he would run across the back of my shoulders to get the other side. I think it's because they can see themselves in metal frames.
Again. It's mostly because you've created a rewarding game.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He will sort of stop or at least not do it as much if he senses I've had enough. I'll tell him "Nooo!" or "That's not nice!" One time I told him "you know I don't like that." And he said "I know" :rolleyes:
And let's add some drama to make it even more rewarding. :)

You are an expert trainer. :lol:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Or handle him in a blurry fog (no glasses). :D

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Gracie goes between these are a chew toy to a perch. I tried to get her to stop but I gave up after a month.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'll tell him "Nooo!" or "That's not nice!" One time I told him "you know I don't like that." And he said "I know" :rolleyes:
You can't blame him for being stupid! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
The only way to solve this is to not react at all. But that would probably cost you some glasses before he find out some better things to play with. :D
(like your laptop, iPhone, or some remote controllers, he he)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
what is a fid? parrots find glasses fascinating for some reason lol...

Rolanda

Adam, My 8 year old, went in to have his glasses adjusted and the tech said "Oh my, what happened to your glasses?" (Beaks had chewer on the part that goes over the ears) he said "My Parrot did it". She thought he said 'Parent', and looked at me. I said "NO, his Parrot... his bird!" she got huffy and said "I don't think I can replace that part!" and didn't say another word. :rofl:
Another generation of Crazy Bird People in training! It made perfect sense to us. She thought we were both insane! :hehe:

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I gave cheeky an old pair of glasses of her own and it was no time at all she loosened the screws and knocked the lens out. She'd have big fights with them and then throw them off the table. She eventually lost interest in them but not the ones I wore. She'd slide down my bangs and go after them from above. Contacts were my answer until I had cataract surgery and now I don't need them. She never gave up .