• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has Anyone Ever Made Their Own Play Tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Right now my fids have a manzanita tree, and then a PVC playgym. However, the PVC 1) gets in the way when cleaning Tango's cage 2) falls apart when I move it to clean Tango's cage and 3) looks awful compared to the decorations. Thus, I"m looking to can the PVC.

I would like to get a second tree instead, but really am not up for paying $300+ for something that is technically not necessary (especially since we've got some baby saving to do!) and there's nothing on CL around here lately.

So I'm looking into making my own simple stand from manzanita or java. Has anyone done it before? Where would I get the appropriate sized branches? Any tips or hints?

Of course, if anyone is looking to unload a tree I'd be happy to talk to you about that too :lol:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Keep an eye on craigslist. I got mine there for $100. There is currently another one for $150.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, actually at one time we had an entire apple tree...a real one..in our house...we bleached it overnight (after removing the leaves) in our bathtub..in1/2 cup bleach...rined a gazillion times...hubby built a base for it and et voila..enjoyed for appr oximately four years until Sam ate it to pieces.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Where I'm at it would be hard to find manzanita or java branches lol. If you know of any bird safe trees that were not treated with chemicals, you could try making one out of those instead. The two I have were both made by a man my mom knows from ... Well heck at this moment in time I can't remember what the branches are from :huh: Next time my mom trims her apple tree, which she never ever sprays, I'm going to try to get some more branches!

If you use SS screws to put the main branch into some kind of base, you could tie on the other main branches that are for perching. That way, if your bird chews up all the perch branches, you can just untie them later on and replace them. Just a thought instead of screwing in every single piece.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Is this what you had in mind? We used to top of an apple tree, dh used wooden dowel pegs to attach horizontal 'branches' between the vertical uprights. It made a ladder for him to climb on. We really didnt make any top hangers, we just hung them around on the tree & he climbs to get to them. This photo was before he installed the ladder

S5000466.jpg

Roxxie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Whitney
I am also looking to do this. I have a HUGE sweetgum tree in my back yard and one of the big branches is to low so I want that one cut anyway. But it may be to big for what I need it for...LOL

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Bubby's previous owners made this one

And I done this one but it is too big

The one above that I done was just logs from trees that our landlord cut down, and branches. It was quick, and simple.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Yes, that is what I had in mind :) I just don't know what kind of trees I have in my yard, which is why I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to buy large branches. Is apple wood hard enough to last?

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I've gotten some large manzanita branches from here:

Manzanita Burlworks - The Source for Quality Handcrafted Manzanita Products

Great guys, they'll custom cut to your specifications. Thing is .. by the time you buy the branches, and pay shipping, you're probably looking at close to $300, depending on size.

I know Exotic Wood Dreams sells kits that you can make your own stand as well .. but again, getting pretty close to that $300 with shipping.

Unless you have access to some decent bird safe wood locally, ordering the stuff to make one can be just as expensive as buying one already done.

I've seen a few on Ebay that look pretty nice .. less than $300, but not much less.

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Thats the beauty of it, its free & when they destroy it, you just make another ;) Merlin actually doesn't do alot of chewing on it, I think it would be ok for your smaller guys. I don't know how long it would withstand a macaw beak :eek:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I've gotten some large manzanita branches from here:

Manzanita Burlworks - The Source for Quality Handcrafted Manzanita Products

Great guys, they'll custom cut to your specifications. Thing is .. by the time you buy the branches, and pay shipping, you're probably looking at close to $300, depending on size.

I know Exotic Wood Dreams sells kits that you can make your own stand as well .. but again, getting pretty close to that $300 with shipping.

Unless you have access to some decent bird safe wood locally, ordering the stuff to make one can be just as expensive as buying one already done.

I've seen a few on Ebay that look pretty nice .. less than $300, but not much less.
Yeah I was worried about that. But I really would be happy with almost a T-stand, which shouldn't be as expensive (I would hope!) because Tango uses the PVC just to sit and look outside. All I need to do is have a tree that he can sit and look outside with space for a few eye hooks to attach his rope to get there.

falsk

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I did! I got fed up with the PVC that I had for the past two years so I went out and sawed off a huge chunk of our crepe myrtle, cut off some branches, left others, and screwed/tied on additional ones. The base was total luck, though. I was at our local hardware store and saw this metal base you use for, like, tiki torches? I realized it was the perfect size for my stand and bought it.

ChristmasCage06.jpg photo 1.jpeg photo.jpg

I've since pulled the dishes off as Beakman has taken great delight in tossing everything on the ground... :naughty:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks for all the ideas! I definitely need to ID this tree out front that needs a trim anyway!

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Some ideas for bases:

Ironing board upside down with branches going across the top to each end (actually going to do this, just haven't gotten around to it) Doesn't look too nice though lol
Any kind of tree stand, or tiki torch stand like someone mentioned, great idea!
Clothes rack (although you'd need to wrap it with vet wrap or rope) One with wheels is a bonus!
Chair bottom - Someone on here had one, they used the base of a rolling desk chair

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Some ideas for bases:

Ironing board upside down with branches going across the top to each end (actually going to do this, just haven't gotten around to it) Doesn't look too nice though lol
Any kind of tree stand, or tiki torch stand like someone mentioned, great idea!
Clothes rack (although you'd need to wrap it with vet wrap or rope) One with wheels is a bonus!
Chair bottom - Someone on here had one, they used the base of a rolling desk chair
I use a pot for the base as suggested by Merlie in a thread quite some time ago. Works wonders and doesn't take much space.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I was thinking about making one too, and this was the inspiration: Golden West Grapevine Cage Top Perch - CAGE TOP PLAY GYMS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

I ordered one of these for the top of Olive's cage. When it got here is was much larger than I was expecting. Olive is 210g btw:

olive grapevine.jpg

If you talked to Kathie, I bet she would find you a few of them that would work together to make a tree and also be on the larger side like this one. They're only $24 each, and if you were buying other supplies the shipping could be free. I was envisioning them set up Bottlebrush gym style, like a spiral stair case, mounted on a large dowel or something. Does that make sense? I'm gonna wait on it because Olive seems content with what she has, but I think it would work well nonetheless.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I was thinking about making one too, and this was the inspiration: Golden West Grapevine Cage Top Perch - CAGE TOP PLAY GYMS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

I ordered one of these for the top of Olive's cage. When it got here is was much larger than I was expecting. Olive is 210g btw:

View attachment 105209

If you talked to Kathie, I bet she would find you a few of them that would work together to make a tree and also be on the larger side like this one. They're only $24 each, and if you were buying other supplies the shipping could be free. I was envisioning them set up Bottlebrush gym style, like a spiral stair case, mounted on a large dowel or something. Does that make sense? I'm gonna wait on it because Olive seems content with what she has, but I think it would work well nonetheless.
Awesome idea!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.