• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone else given up on the idea of adopting a rescue/ rehomed Grey? What was your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@Brittany0208 I'm not punishing the bird I’m protecting my home, my foster kids and my piece of mind. So I’m clear.... I find the use of racial slurs by anyone offensive. Only a perpetual victim would subject themselves to fifty years of it.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 I'm not punishing the bird I’m protecting my home, my foster kids and my piece of mind. So I’m clear.... I find the use of racial slurs by anyone offensive. Only a perpetual victim would subject themselves to fifty years of it.
Ok, suit yourself. I choose to look beyond that but to each his own.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fortunately, words and habits can be changed if you're willing to put in the work.

My friend Chris adopted a very elderly Umbrella 'too who would also use a slur, and shout it often. Over time, Chris was able to change that slur to a different, similar-sounding but entirely innocent word.

It takes patience and a lot of effort, but saving a life is worth the time. It doesn't make someone a ~perpetual victim~.

I'd gladly bring him home, if I had the means to bring him across the border.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I would take an African Grey, like the one you mentioned in a heartbeat if I was living in a home. Someday I will be adopting two African Greys, and even though I really dislike swearing, I would overlook that for the right bird/s. Also, the racial slurs are awful, but I would just explain to any guests about the previous owners teaching them that. That being said, I can understand why you wouldn't want that around your children. Please know that me saying this isn't a diss toward you by any means. It's just that there are more people out there than you think who would willingly take in a Grey like that. I wish you the best with whatever route you choose. I'm sure your bird will bring those children a lot of joy and that's a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road

Of course not. You wouldn't want your child to talk like that so why should you be any different with a bird ? A bird that is old and set in his/her way is very hard to re-train. I wish people would not train their birds to say rude things, and then try to pass that same bird off to the next person in line.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
With some work you can so easily change what a bird says by not reinforcing the cuss words/phrases, but HIGHLY reinforcing other more desirable words/phrases. The undesirable language should fade out. The cuss words remain because they are knowingly or unknowingly being reinforced. If other words get more reinforcement there is no point in saying the cuss words any longer! I think it will be hit and miss whether the bird will be able to be a therapy bird.

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@hrafn there is no innocent but similar word to the “N” word. If your friend chose to bring into his home a companion that offended him and possibly his guests more power to him. I myself will never bring into my environment anything or anyone toxic. My goodness I’m trying to picture my boss or child welfare advisors coming to my home and having someone yell racial slurs. I doubt I would be working and I’d probably lose my foster certification. I’m still trying to figure out how this thread turned into an attack on me instead of an answer to my original questions.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
With some work you can so easily change what a bird says by not reinforcing the cuss words/phrases, but HIGHLY reinforcing other more desirable words/phrases. The undesirable language should fade out. The cuss words remain because they are knowingly or unknowingly being reinforced. If other words get more reinforcement there is no point in saying the cuss words any longer! I think it will be hit and miss whether the bird will be able to be a therapy bird.

If somebody has that much time to invest. I applaud her for setting limits and knowing what she wants. I sure she can still find a racial free parrot in some shelter, somewhere. I hope so.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
. I’m still trying to figure out how this thread turned into an attack on me instead of an answer to my original questions.[/QUOTE]

BINGO!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@hrafn there is no innocent but similar word to the “N” word. If your friend chose to bring into his home a companion that offended him and possibly his guests more power to him. I myself will never bring into my environment anything or anyone toxic. My goodness I’m trying to picture my boss or child welfare advisors coming to my home and having someone yell racial slurs. I doubt I would be working and I’d probably lose my foster certification. I’m still trying to figure out how this thread turned into an attack on me instead of an answer to my original questions.
Relax. This isn't an attack, it's people sharing their opinions of birds. Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean you're being attacked. I say what I say in hopes of enlightening someone who may have a stigma against 'imperfect' birds/animals.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can think of at least a dozen off the top of my head. Like I said, it takes effort and time and a will to help.

No one has attacked you, mate. You asked for opinions and experiences, and that's all anyone has tried to provide.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Relax. This isn't an attack, it's people sharing their opinions of birds. Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean you're being attacked. I say what I say in hopes of enlightening someone who may have a stigma against 'imperfect' birds/animals.
Brittany, I think you are a very intelligent and dedicated person, but yes, it is turning into an attack when the same thing is being said four or five times, by the same people. She has already explained her situation.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Brittany, I think you are a very intelligent and dedicated person, but yes, it is turning into an attack when the same thing is being said four or five times, by the same people. She has already explained her situation.
And I stand by mine. In retrospect, this is about the potential bird. If she feels attacked, then that is her right. I will not censor my opinion for it.

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@Sylvester unfortunately your words fall on deaf ears. She is doing what many others do to anyone who has an opinion she doesn’t like. She’s trolling! I

Sylvester

Hit the Road
And I stand by mine. In retrospect, this is about the potential bird. If she feels attacked, then that is her right. I will not censor my opinion for it.

Which you have definitely given. Okay.

Retraining an older bird that is set in it's ways, takes a lot of time, which not everyone has. She already has a lot on her hands with taking care of foster children.

Oh well, say what you want. Not my post. Peace out.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Sylvester unfortunately your words fall on deaf ears. She is doing what many others do to anyone who has an opinion she doesn’t like. She’s trolling! I
Get over yourself! You came for advice and you got it. I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear. If you're this close-minded, then you don't deserve a bird. You need to grow up!

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
@NYCAmazon2

Have you owned a large bird before? You want it to be a therapy bird how ever birds can be pretty unpredictable depending on mood. I don't know how old the children are that you're fostering but getting a bird just for therapy aspect of it might not work out how you imagine. Yes birds are smart and trainable but they are not like dogs and cats. They won't always do what you want or act a certain way that you would like and a big beak like that around children could be trouble. Have you thought about smaller birds? Maybe ones that don't have big vocabulary so you don't have to worry about them picking up inappropriate words?

I know a lady who has an African grey that she trains (free flys, teaches tricks etc) and he wailed her daughter in the face pretty good when he was cranky. Steph literally walked by his perch and he grabbed her.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
@NYCAmazon2

Have you owned a large bird before? You want it to be a therapy bird how ever birds can be pretty unpredictable depending on mood. I don't know how old the children are that you're fostering but getting a bird just for therapy aspect of it might not work out how you imagine. Yes birds are smart and trainable but they are not like dogs and cats. They won't always do what you want or act a certain way that you would like and a big beak like that around children could be trouble. Have you thought about smaller birds? Maybe ones that don't have big vocabulary so you don't have to worry about them picking up inappropriate words?

I know a lady who has an African grey that she trains (free flys, teaches tricks etc) and he wailed her daughter in the face pretty good when he was cranky. Steph literally walked by his perch and he grabbed her.
A very reasonable opinion and suggestion.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excuse me? I don't know whether you're referring to myself or Brittany, but that is repugnant.

AA is a community of people who are passionate about the welfare of birds; of course we care about the fate of rescues, and want to convince others that they are worth loving and caring for. There is absolutely no need to be nasty to members who are only giving their experiences and thoughts on a thread that specifically asked for them.

Please be polite and considerate in future. There's no need for this.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Excuse me? I don't know whether you're referring to myself or Brittany, but that is repugnant.

AA is a community of people who are passionate about the welfare of birds; of course we care about the fate of rescues, and want to convince others that they are worth loving and caring for. There is absolutely no need to be nasty to members who are only giving their experiences and thoughts on a thread that specifically asked for them.

Please be polite and considerate in future. There's no need for this.
Please peddle this crap somewhere else down the road. This always happens. Two, three, four, etc... decide to gang up on somebody, for no other reason, than she had rejected your "advice". Now go ahead and report me, which is another thing you're good at doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.