• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone clicker trained Zons?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am wondering in general how receptive - or not - Amazons are to clicker training.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Morgan does not seem to be very receptive, but I'm going to keep trying. Daphne doesn't see the point of it, either.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Actually bought a clicker, now to have a few minutes to try!

Secret learns tricks quicker than MC. The eyes still pin but it seems to distract her. Training may be a great idea for Wasabi.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Lily also seems to get distracted by the clicker. She's more interested in chewing it up or singing to the noise than treats or tricks. In the bite pressure and word association training I do with her getting her to do it then shoving half an almond in her beak works better :hehe:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine weren't overly motivated to do silly tricks for the clicker. They'd rather strut around, make obnoxious noises and flare their tail than play my games. My cockatoos are by far more interested in clicker training and tricks. Amazons, not so much.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I tried for about 6 months with Lucy, after awhile she just basicly ignored the clicker altogether.
She might pick her head up and look that direction, but it was more like, oh that noise again.

Peppo

Sprinting down the street
I asked Paco about it once..He looked at me as if to say "no thanks mom, that's for the birds."

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Yes :) DYH

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine weren't overly motivated to do silly tricks for the clicker. They'd rather strut around, make obnoxious noises and flare their tail than play my games.

Sounds familiar, but I'll give it a whirl after I finish the book. I'll likely get the same attitude.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I don't show my birds the clicker, I just try to keep it on me as often as possible, they know the click means they are about to get an awesome treat..a special treat they only get when that happens. I just use my finger to target things.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't use a clicker but I find it a wonderful tool for people that need a detailed agenda for teaching. :)

Even if later you replace the "click" with the word "good" you still understand the methods involved in teaching by reward.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yes, all my Amazons are very receptive to training - I use "yay" as a bridge though and not a clicker (too much to hold in my hand). Go Wasabisaurus! :batnana:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I have a clicker-training book and a stick and a clicker.. i am first building trust with my OWA though, she's much more secure then when i first got her, but we're still not at the point where i would start trainig :) so i am curious as well about other people's experiences :)

OscarTheAmazon

Meeting neighbors
Mine understands the meaning of the clicker and loved learning, We are now learning flight recall and he flies to me himself sometimes so if I dont have the clicker with me I say "Good boy" and give a treat.